Amelia Island Concours Electric Car Display This Weekend

24 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Ed,  Please share the particulars of you entry thie year.   Not all of us are up on all the Pre WWII Roadsters.

It’s even better looking in person. If you have never been to a concours before try to find a way to go to one. Especially if someone from AACA is willing to take you around and point out the difference in a good car and a great car. It’s a fantastic learning experience and a lot of fun. 

7 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

It’s even better looking in person. If you have never been to a concours before try to find a way to go to one. Especially if someone from AACA is willing to take you around and point out the difference in a good car and a great car. It’s a fantastic learning experience and a lot of fun. 
Actuallly I been to more shows than I can count,  but I thought ED could tell a good story about this car.

• Like 1

All car shows are fun......and different. The big three concours all have different ways of doing things and displaying cars. They are all high stress if your competing. I usually apologize ahead of time to family and friends as things get tense before and during judging. Afterwards it’s not too bad......until the ribbons start to come out. Overall it’s just car people doing their thing. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

All car shows are fun......and different. The big three concours all have different ways of doing things and displaying cars. They are all high stress if your competing. I usually apologize ahead of time to family and friends as things get tense before and during judging. Afterwards it’s not too bad......until the ribbons start to come out. Overall it’s just car people doing their thing. 

If you think Ed is a prick usually, go to a show where he has to show a car.

I got yelled at this morning because I didn’t rotate the ice in the 40lb cooler I carried 1/2 mile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What was the show result for the V-16 Cadillac?

Not impressed withthe 13 Rolls Royce in Army drab.  Flashy is better.

Thanks for the pictures and commentary.

Update: I have to stop talking about all my drinking. Seems a bunch of generous people from this website like to stop bye, have a quick tour of the car, and then they give me a bottle of booze. It’s 12 noon and I have four bottles in front of me, but it’s better than a pre-frontal lobotomy. 😎

i’ll be swimming in bourbon for the next two months. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

During the 10 years we lived in Florida we never missed Amelia.  It was always impressive.  Dealing with the crowd is a hassle, even when showing a car.  My wife quit going to shows where I was showing because I was always so up tight. Haven't shown at a Concours since 2012 and don't miss it although I still enjoy them.   Hilton Head was always more "fun" but that is just my opinion

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

The electric cars are very cool. I apologize for the single picture but the crowds make it tough.

I know the feeling well.

It's very frustrating for those who don't like distractions or cluttered backgrounds in their photos.  

Craig

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I have to stop talking about all my drinking. Seems a bunch of generous people from this website like to stop bye, have a quick tour of the car, and then they give me a bottle of booze. It’s 12 noon and I have four bottles in front of me, but it’s better than a pre-frontal lobotomy. 😎

Ed, with the adult beverage that has been gifted to you if you had to have a pre-frontal lobotomy then you probably wouldn't feel a thing because of the affect that consuming the well seasoned spirits would have upon you.  🙃  If you have enough after the concours to spare you can use it in your White as a replacement for the antifreeze or water or "Botha".

• Haha 1

What is the Packard next to 'your' Cadillac? For a moment, it reminded me of a Packard roadster that Jack Passey had about 45 years ago. The very long trunk did it. However the radiator and fenders appear earlier than Jack's roadster I was thinking of. The headlamps do not look like what I usually see on Packards. 

Oh so many beautiful cars!

Thank you for posting the photos!

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Update: I have to stop talking about all my drinking. Seems a bunch of generous people from this website like to stop bye, have a quick tour of the car, and then they give me a bottle of booze. It’s 12 noon and I have four bottles in front of me, but it’s better than a pre-frontal lobotomy. 😎

i’ll be swimming in bourbon for the next two months. 👍

Well deserved for all you do for fellow AACA members, even when you never met them you are willing to help. Enjoy the win and the booze, just don’t drive the Cadillac after drinking. 

• Like 2

We were very fortunate to win most elegant open car. It’s a top three trophy at Amelia. Would like to thank everybody who stopped by to say hello. It’s been a fun weekend and I hope everybody enjoyed the pictures we posted. Ed

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the delayed answer to so many questions, time, heat, people, distractions, lack of time, and a dozen other things interfere with answering right away.

The car is a 1930 Cadillac V-16 Fleetwood Roadster. Somewhere around 90 were built, and most of the ones you see today are modern replicas, or 8-16 body swaps. There are about ten pure, unmolested examples extant........our powder blue and Tokyo ivory is one of the better known and considered a pure example. History from new, all original mechanicals and body, ect, ect, ect. After purchasing the car a few years ago, we researched it and found it was one of the “Tuxedo V-16 Cars” that were specials done in a crazy black and white paint scheme..........fender tops black, bottoms were white! And more such unusual paint schemes with unusual offsets. We plan on putting it back to the way it left the factory.......after we show it some more, and put LOTS of miles on it. It runs great, and is a dream to drive. The car has a fantastic future on the show circuit......after we put some dings, scratches, and wear on it. 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

What is the Packard next to 'your' Cadillac? For a moment, it reminded me of a Packard roadster that Jack Passey had about 45 years ago. The very long trunk did it. However the radiator and fenders appear earlier than Jack's roadster I was thinking of. The headlamps do not look like what I usually see on Packards. 

Oh so many beautiful cars!

Thank you for posting the photos!

1926 Rollston Roadster.......fantastic car........don’t think it’s Jacks old car.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, edinmass said:

1926 Rollston Roadster.......fantastic car........don’t think it’s Jacks old car.

Looks like it may possibly have Marchal (French) headlamps? Do not seem to be standard Packard issue. Rollston continued to build a similar body up until about 1933. Here is a period photo of a 1929 6th series Packard with Rollston body . I think there may be at least two 1929 6th series Rollston bodied roadsters in existence. History of the Rollston Company in Crankshaft magazine issue #1.

1929PackardtROLLSTONroadster009.jpg

Edited by Walt G
added text (see edit history)

Sorry for the semi hi-jack but some may find the following of interest. A few posts back there is a pix of a strange looking car behind the strange looking turtle like grey convert.  It's a 1948 Tasco concept car Designed/built by Gordon Buehrig.

In 1998 me and my co-pilot, Matt Troxell, visited the ACD museum. Matt was the son of Tom Troxell, a well known vintage car dealer in Quakertown, PA. When we came upon the Tasco in the museum Matt was stunned. It seems his father, Tom, at one time was in possession of the car and  would take young Matt for rides for ice cream in it. He remembered the car vividly but had no recollection of where his father got it,  or where it ended up until we stumbled on this one of a kind piece of history. The body was built by Derham, just a few miles from Quakertown so that may be the connection.

Both Tom and his son are now gone.

And so it goes..................Bob

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Sorry for the semi hi-jack but some may find the following of interest. A few posts back there is a pix of a strange looking car behind the strange looking turtle like grey convert.  It's a 1948 Tasco concept car Designed/built by Gordon Buehrig.

In 1998 me and my co-pilot, Matt Troxell, visited the ACD museum. Matt was the son of Tom Troxell, a well known vintage car dealer in Quakertown, PA. When we came upon the Tasco in the museum Matt was stunned. It seems his father, Tom, at one time was in possession of the car and  would take young Matt for rides for ice cream in it. He remembered the car vividly but had no recollection of where his father got it,  or where it ended up until we stumbled on this one of a kind piece of history. The body was built by Derham, just a few miles from Quakertown so that may be the connection.

Both Tom and his son are now gone.

And so it goes..................Bob

I got a photo of it when I was at the ACD Museum in 2002.

Craig

47_Tasco_2.jpg

47_Tasco_3.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 3