My 1958 Limited 750

lancemb

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly adding parts back on the engine. I wanted to wrap it up today, but kept getting slowed down by, well, important details.  So I’ll give it hell again tomorrow.  I should see it running by the end of the day.

E9862FA8-328F-42D8-BBA6-D58B5A198C71.jpeg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fast forward——the car runs and stops now. While it was apart, I replaced all the brake lines with stainless.  

Today was electrical diagnosis day for the power seat.  No power at the switch for the solenoids…so I immediately checked the door jamb.  It was ugly.  Once those wires were fixed, I had the solenoids responding, but the relay was not clicking to run the motor.  I had power to it, but it wouldn’t kick.  The motor tested fine running a direct power wire to it.  Off came the relay to see if I could salvage it.  Nope.

The good thing is, a relay for a 63 Riv is the same.  Just has a slightly different mounting tab.  No big deal, the nut tightens it right on.  So I’m waiting on a new relay from James at bestoffercounts.

F2AF34D0-CD3F-4D52-AE4C-26D467B575F3.jpeg

43849906-6755-4914-863E-111204389AF5.jpeg

D2D01763-7D5F-4068-8C0E-F5E122813A44.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, lancemb said:

With Adam's help, I'll have 3 Buicks to drive this summer without having to spend all summer working on them.  That's the goal!

Well I'm only gonna have 2 Buicks to drive this summer (and a Dodge)....I'm just gonna have to get another 😉...

but wait I don't have an Adam to work on mine... I have to do it myself... oh the horror...LOL!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

but wait I don't have an Adam to work on mine... I have to do it myself... oh the horror...LOL!

I don't either really nearby - but the car was making a journey there any way for some body work. 

It's fun working on them, but I got myself in a pickle buying another one and still trying to finish the coupe.  I've spent every free moment I've had practically the past 5 years working on one car or another, at the expense of actually enjoying taking them to car shows.  I gotta change that!

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Smartin said:

Knock knock…

Who’s there?

Piston slap.

What?

Yeah, figured you needed something else to do.

Oh.  

Several months later, we have a completely re-rebuilt engine.

IMG_6082.jpeg

IMG_6085.jpeg

IMG_6084.jpeg

IMG_6083.jpeg

wowza!  I've never seen the likes of that thankfully

14 hours ago, Smartin said:

Knock knock…

Who’s there?

Piston slap.

What?

Yeah, figured you needed something else to do.

Oh.  

Several months later, we have a completely re-rebuilt engine.

IMG_6082.jpeg

IMG_6085.jpeg

IMG_6084.jpeg

IMG_6083.jpeg

IMG_6058.jpeg

Machine shop mistake.  Lack of lubrication to the wrist pins.  Also seen when engines are started after setting for many many years.  I always soak the Pistons in hot oil before installing.  

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 7:35 PM, Smartin said:

Knock knock…

So how do I prevent this?  I'm very close to starting a rebuilt 364.  I was going to use break-in oil, pre primed by spinning the oil pump.  Watch the oil pressure  and say a prayer.   

We have come to the conclusion that this was an error on the last rebuild.  The pistons had been seizing on the wrist pins and not allowing them to pivot in the bores, causing the galling of the piston skirts on the cylinder walls.  Either bad machining or oiling, or some other paranormal activity happening.

Old Tank pretty much summed it up above.

For starting your engine, hopefully you have heavy duty assembly lube on your cam and lifter faces.  Break in oil as stated...and bray to Jebus nothing fails in the first 20 minutes of cam break-in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 364 had been rebuilt long before I acquired it.  They used lithium grease for assembly lube and by the time I got to it the grease had turned into glue.  It took a month of soaking the pistons in an ATF solution before I could move the rods freely.  It was very hard to turn over but I didn't realize the real consequence of it.   Generous assembly lube was used in the reassembly.

16 hours ago, Angelfish said:

It took a month of soaking the pistons in an ATF solution before I could move the rods freely.

Did you disassemble and inspect the pistons and rods?  If not, then have those Rosary beads handy...

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...