[Eighth Generation] "Officially" Restarting My Very Picky Search

J3Studio

I am restarting my very picky search for an eighth generation Riviera, and I figure you are the first folks (other than my lovely wife) to inform of this and also almost certainly the folks I will come to with questions.

I do feel I learned a lot from this thread back in mid-2019:

Since some kind folks have continued to keep an eye out for me, these are the specifics of what I'm looking for:

• Supercharger (I know it was optional in 1996/1997 and standard in 1998/1999)
  • 1996-1999 (I want ODB-II and the slight amount of extra power)
  • Less than 100,000 miles (I'd prefer in the 30,000 to 60,000 range, but that's negotiable)
  • An exterior in a dark metallic jewel tone (examples over the years would include Majestic Teal Metallic/Pearl, Dark Cherry Metallic, Ruby Red Metallic, Bordeaux Red Pearl, and Midnight Blue Pearl). I might make an exception for a few lighter-colored metallics such as Slate Green Pearl or Santa Fe Red Pearl. I like and respect the Silver Arrows, but they're not for me: we already have two special edition GM products in the garage, and I think that's enough.
  • An Astroroof
  • Leather bucket seats (I know they were optional in 1996/1997 and standard in 1998/1999)

—and, yes, I know that's picky—but I am willing to wait until I find the right one for me.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

A note that none of the 19 1996-1999 Rivieras listed in the January/February 2021 Riview meet this (again, I know, picky) specification. Most fail on color or mileage. Some attractive cars that make it through those first two sorts (such as the Ruby Red Metallic 1996) lack options I desire.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I understand that the suspension on the 1997 is unique to all other 8th generation cars.  Someone more familiar with this than me should chime in.  

You are correct. @Rivman gave me the low-down on the suspension changes in that 2019 thread.

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

I understand that the suspension on the 1997 is unique to all other 8th generation cars.  Someone more familiar with this than me should chime in.  

I know the front suspension had some differences but not sure about the rear.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, J3Studio said:

...these are the specifics of what I'm looking for:

...Leather bucket seats (I know they were optional in 1996/1997 and standard in 1998/1999)

Leather bucket seats will be the easiest to find.

They are on probably 99% of all those Rivieras.

Of all the Rivieras on dealer lots and in parking lots

I've seen since 1995, there have been only 3 with

the 60-40 split seat--and a hundred with the console.

My 1995 Riviera I got specifically because it had

cloth 60-40 seats, and the gear-shift on the column.

The wide and clear front area, and the light-colored

soft cloth seats, make the interior seem more

wide-open and inviting to me.

1995 Riviera--mine after repaint (19).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Leather bucket seats will be the easiest to find.

They are on probably 99% of all those Rivieras.

Of all the Rivieras on dealer lots and in parking lots

I've seen since 1995, there have been only 3 with

the 60-40 split seat--and a hundred with the console.

I know that the leather bucket seat proviso is almost certainly my least picky requirement. Of all the folks on this forum, I believe only you and @Rivman have examples of the other two upholstery choices.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:38 PM, Rivdrivn said:

Astroroof? I can top that

:)

I already have a GM convertible. It isn't a Riviera, but it does occasionally hang with Rivieras …

GraceAmongTheRivs.jpg

• Like 2

J3, I like your 1977-78 Riviera!

That generation is very much overlooked,

but those cars are well styled, reliable, and

comfortable.  Can you post another picture or two?

As far as the non-bucket seats in the 1995-99

generation, mine are tan cloth.  I have seen light blue

cloth, and also leather in a dark color which I don't

recall.

33 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

J3, I like your 1977-78 Riviera!

That generation is very much overlooked,

but those cars are well styled, reliable, and

comfortable.  Can you post another picture or two?

As far as the non-bucket seats in the 1995-99

generation, mine are tan cloth.  I have seen light blue

cloth, and also leather in a dark color which I don't

recall.

I don't want to misrepresent—that 1977 Riviera is not mine (the Corvette between the two Rivieras is the one attached to me). These photos were taken at the 2019 ROA meet in Gettysburg. Two more:

1977 All The Way From Texas

Worth A Badge In 1977

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The 1985 Corvette has been sold and I am far less "defective" than I was back in March/April/May. So, making another run at my picky spec—which none of the 12 1996-1999 cars listed in the current Riview meet.

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2021 at 1:12 PM, J3Studio said:

The 1985 Corvette has been sold and I am far less "defective" than I was back in March/April/May. So, making another run at my picky spec—which none of the 12 1996-1999 cars listed in the current Riview meet.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
54 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

Not a common color but a decent find.  The only obvious item to note is the antenna looks like it may need attention which is not unusual. 

Based on write up, it sounds like it has the Prestige Package option.  Fair price for the mileage, and you can't kill a Buick 3800 (but keep maintenance up to date re: supercharger).  Wish it had chrome wheels, though. 

• Thanks 1

One owner RIV, lived in MA all its life, CarFax shows all maintenance performed by a Chevy/(Buick?) dealership from beginning to end, report of an auto accident in 2002, no sign of supercharger oil change in the fairly detailed CarFax report, three close-together reports of "electrical system checked" not too many miles ago. then sold at auto auction in MA in September, 2021, and wound up for sale in December at a used car-only dealer in Milwaukee, WI, still showing the same mileage as when at the auction.

Really nice, special cars with relatively low mileage usually don't wind up for sale at a wholesale dealer auto auction....and then get trucked across half the country to be re-sold at a used car-only dealer.  Perhaps there's a good story behind all of this, AND perhaps this is a wonderful Riviera. But, I'd sure want to see it in person before pulling the trigger. Even if it's as simple as finding out the condition of the paint. As an alternative to the buyer actually seeing the car, there should be some Milwaukee-area guys in the BCA or the ROA who could check it out.  John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it spent its life in Massachusetts and was used year round, I would definitely scrutinize the undercarriage particularly the subframe mounting areas.  These are known areas for rust issues and are not an easy fix.
This may be the reason it is being flipped so fast but it could be a good car as well.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 2:41 PM, Jolly_John said:

One owner RIV, lived in MA all its life, CarFax shows all maintenance performed by a Chevy/(Buick?) dealership from beginning to end, report of an auto accident in 2002, no sign of supercharger oil change in the fairly detailed CarFax report, three close-together reports of "electrical system checked" not too many miles ago. then sold at auto auction in MA in September, 2021, and wound up for sale in December at a used car-only dealer in Milwaukee, WI, still showing the same mileage as when at the auction.

Really nice, special cars with relatively low mileage usually don't wind up for sale at a wholesale dealer auto auction....and then get trucked across half the country to be re-sold at a used car-only dealer.  Perhaps there's a good story behind all of this, AND perhaps this is a wonderful Riviera. But, I'd sure want to see it in person before pulling the trigger. Even if it's as simple as finding out the condition of the paint. As an alternative to the buyer actually seeing the car, there should be some Milwaukee-area guys in the BCA or the ROA who could check it out.

@Jolly_John Thank you for the detailed and helpful analysis.

My pleasure, J3Studio. I was a little surprised the gang may not have looked the free CarFax report over in detail. I applaud you for being on the prowl for a very nice, last generation Riv. I've owned two as everyday cars in the past, and they are wonderful. John

• Like 1