Glass carrier truck

nzcarnerd

Its a Doane, from California.  They were made in San Francisco, which specialized in low-bed trucks for dockside loading and unloading.   Interesting the period photo has 1934 British Columbia plates on it.  I wasn't aware any Doanes were sold that far north.

Craig

10aths192.jpg

10aths081.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Look at the pin stripe on the wood wheels as well as the cab ! The skill to apply that by hand with a brush was amazing. Note the hand cranked cable by the side of the cab, the vertical steering column, the hand push button on the horn at the side. A great view into the whole era - look at all the "important" men at the back of the truck dressed so well with their Homberg hats . The detail on the facade of the building all in cast masonry - this is why I started this thread - gives you an open door to what it was like 90+ years ago when our grandfathers were young lads. My interest in history goes well beyond just the vehicles , and I have been the author of numerous articles , a book published by Arcadia , and a tv program that was later put on DVD on local history. Join your local and state historical society , you never know what you can share with them or their collections can share with you.........................

• Like 1

The person who originally posted this photo on facebook took it directly from the City of Vancouver Archives.  It is CVA 99-4617, taken on May 2, 1934 by Vancouver's official photographer Stuart Thomson.  The building is Spencer's Department store in the 500 block of Hastings Street  built in 1928 (now part of Simon Fraser University's Harbour Centre Campus).  Although construction of the Hotel Vancouver began in 1928, it was stalled by the depression after the steel framework was partially completed.  Construction did not resume until 1937, being completed in 1939, so this photo is too early for that.  

The truck is Terminal Cartage unit #18.  There is a second photo of it taken almost exactly one year later on April 30, 1935 at the CPR dock in Vancouver, again by Stuart Thomson.  It is CVA 99-4748.  

• Like 1

Thanks Dictator ! I knew the building was familiar . I don't get down town much these days. A refuge from  city property values, out in the Fraser Valley for almost 30 years now.  Eaton's  then Sears ? within my lifetime. So much has changed in Vancouver since I last lived there , late 1980's.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

1 minute ago, 1912Staver said:

Thanks Dictator ! I knew the building was familiar . I don't get down town much these days. A refuge from  city property values, out in the Fraser Valley for almost 30 years now.  Eaton's  then Sears ? within my lifetime. So much has changed in Vancouver since I last lived there , late 1980's.

In Vancouver, it was WOODWARD'S that was the BIG one that went under!

It meant a LOT to Vancouverites; unlike Eaton's and Sears from down east, Woodward's was a homegrown company, and JUST barely made their 100th Anniversary.

Craig

Yes !, many shopping trips to Woodward's with parents in the late 1960's and early 70's. Also Army and Navy just down the street. { just bit the dust, another covid loss }. My parents would carefully balance cost vs quality in those days. When my sisters and I were young Army and Navy's prices were hard to beat. Kids grow out of things quickly anyway. But Woodward's delivered a better item most of the time. Every week or two it seemed we made the trek from North Van across the Lions Gate to the downtown shopping district.  $1.49 day !

Greg

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Yes !, many shopping trips to Woodward's with parents in the late 1960's and early 70's. Also Army and Navy just down the street. { just bit the dust, another covid loss }. My parents would carefully balance cost vs quality in those days. When my sisters and I were young Army and Navy's prices were hard to beat. Kids grow out of things quickly anyway. But Woodward's delivered a better item most of the time. Every week or two it seemed we made the trek from North Van across the Lions Gate to the downtown shopping district.  $1.49 day !

Greg

Another North Vancouverite!  Lived there 1956-70, Edgemont Village.  Woodward's problem was they tried to go upmarket and alienated their traditional customer base. 

18 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Greg

I remember the whistling "Dollar-49 Day; Tuesday!" ads on the radio, a monthly shopping day my mom would never miss.  As well, Woodward's 'Famous Food Floor' had the best bakery in town, and others said they had the best produce.  Woodward's never really did recover after the early '80 recession, and operated in the red from then on.  My mom was just pissed when they foolishly sold their only profit-making division, the 'Famous Food Floor's' to Safeway in 1987 which became 'World of Food' until the leases ran out, and could be closed down.  

To keep it vintage truck related, there was a fully restored 1953 Dodge two-ton Woodward's furniture van in the former B.C. Transportation Museum in Cloverdale.  I wonder what became of it.

Craig

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I remember the whistling "Dollar-49 Day; Tuesday!" ads on the radio, a monthly shopping day my mom would never miss.  As well, Woodward's 'Famous Food Floor' had the best bakery in town, and others said they had the best produce.  Woodward's never really did recover after the early '80 recession, and operated in the red from then on.  My mom was just pissed when they foolishly sold their only profit-making division, the 'Famous Food Floor's' to Safeway in 1987 which became 'World of Food' until the leases ran out, and could be closed down.  

To keep it vintage truck related, there was a fully restored 1953 Dodge two-ton Woodward's furniture van in the former B.C. Transportation Museum in Cloverdale.  I wonder what became of it.

Craig

I remember that truck.  I was a volunteer at the museum.  A number of the vehicles from it went to a museum in the Chilliwack Heritage Park.  it may have gone there.  I have only been there once and that was years ago.  Another possibility is the BC Vintage Truck Museum which is in Cloverdale.

2 minutes ago, Vintageben said:

Just a couple of things I observed from the photo is that the truck is already well used looking at the condition of the drivers seat and the brakes are obviously not so good by the timber placed in front of the wheels

Wheel chocks were very common into the 1960's when loading and unloading big trucks, as I recall.

Craig