For Sale: 1956 DeSoto Fireflite - "Sold new in Indiana" Purple! - Lebanon, IN - Not Mine

For sale on Facebook: 1956 DeSoto Fireflite 4-dr Sedan in Lebanon, IN  -  $12,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1005928799847464/

Seller's Description:

1956 DeSoto Fireflite 4-Door Sedan

• Driven 22,250 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Purple

Desoto Fireflite. Runs drives great. 331 hemi 4 barrel solid body everything works like it should. Needs muffler as of right now... new tires

image.png.7eb294e98bf4e2c612f39d98d7bfa9fb.png

image.png.a952847cd1d38a47754ceabbe6eff050.png

image.thumb.png.62e3d7d38b0cc7768cc3867378a76e86.png

image.thumb.png.d47e8eb78e03234c15de88dd8fdf726d.png

image.thumb.png.95733776a1677cc070ea06f2c719d969.png

image.thumb.png.95df37c9d4d3a58cf2fbeb22e5955cd4.png

image.thumb.png.552cd686a79e0e7906e6113295da3f71.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had a neighbor who had '56 Dodge tri-tone with this color, plus black and white. It was attractive enough, but this much purple on it's own is a whole lot of grape!

RealRides of WNY (on the road) - 1956 Dodge

Here's a Google search of '56 Dodge Tri-tones. There are interesting combinations that I don't remember seeing at the time. Of course, I was six years old:

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=1956+dodge+tri+tone&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwilvbDjgt3rAhWQWM0KHeDHCf0Q7Al6BAgJEFQ&biw=1255&bih=582#imgrc=uZ4hQjsrFve0AM

Maybe there should be a rule here that if you're going to post a "not mine" ad that there should be contact info INCLUDED with the pics and description of the car for sale. That means the phone number or email address of the seller needs to be POSTED HERE so there's no wild goose chase like having to go to another site like Facebook to contact the seller. (Some people here don't have Facebook accounts so what are they supposed to do?) It serves no useful purpose to post an ad here with no contact information so if you don't want to include the contact info please don't waste our time by posting the ad here.... :wub:

6 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Maybe there should be a rule here that if you're going to post a "not mine" ad that there should be contact info INCLUDED with the pics and description of the car for sale. That means the phone number or email address of the seller needs to be POSTED HERE so there's no wild goose chase like having to go to another site like Facebook to contact the seller. (Some people here don't have Facebook accounts so what are they supposed to do?) It serves no useful purpose to post an ad here with no contact information so if you don't want to include the contact info please don't waste our time by posting the ad here.... :wub:

I agree with you in principle, but I want to add that there are, apparently, robot programs that routinely troll through sites looking for phone numbers, and I suppose, other info to sell to mass marketers. I don't really know how it all works, but I understand that is why you have to click on numbers to see them. That is why I never disclose people's info when I list cars from other sites that are for sale. I just say see the ad for contact info. I know that it's not what you guys prefer, but I'm not going to be the one to out someone's info.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

robot programs that routinely troll through sites looking for phone numbers,

I see a lot of phone numbers on Craigslist where a couple of the numbers are spelled out, like 12three-4fivesix7. Can the robots still read them if they're posted like that? 

Here's an example of how far Craigslist has had to go to protect people's info. After you click on the "show contact info" box, something pops up that requires you to answer whether you're human or not.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/brighton-49-hudson-super-6/7192140488.html#

I know that seems funny, but it isn't meant to be a joke. It's to outsmart computer programs that are always out there running, looking for phone numbers, addresses and such. So, as I said earlier, I won't put someone's info in a listing. It simply isn't my place to and I never will. If one of you guys doesn't like it, then simply ignore things that I post.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:02 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Clear plastic seat covers  How many years since I have seen those?

I thought you might enjoy seeing the clear plastic seat covers on my '61 Merc. According to the the original owner's family, who I bought it from more than a dozen years ago, they were installed by the dealer when the car was new. As you can see, these type of covers really do protect the upholstery over the years. Only damage to the clear plastic is where the driver sits (hard to avoid that.)

Anyway, sorry from the diversion from the ad. I really like this year of Desoto. One of my favorites. Looks like it could be a car worth owning, but I personally would try to buy it for a little less than the asking price. Thanks for posting.

IMG_0439.JPG

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I won't put someone's info in a listing. It simply isn't my place to and I never will. If one of you guys doesn't like it, then simply ignore things that I post.

So the rules don't apply to you? If your ads get deleted you'll know why....

"Please include the following information in the body of your post:

Year, Make, Model, Description, Photos - lots of photos! (strongly suggested), Price (strongly suggested), Location (City, State, Country) 

B)*****Contact Information (Name, Email and Phone)***** B)

Posts not providing enough vehicle information will be deleted without comment."

2 hours ago, Lebowski said:

So the rules don't apply to you? If your ads get deleted you'll know why....

"Please include the following information in the body of your post:

Year, Make, Model, Description, Photos - lots of photos! (strongly suggested), Price (strongly suggested), Location (City, State, Country) 

B)*****Contact Information (Name, Email and Phone)***** B)

Posts not providing enough vehicle information will be deleted without comment."

Yes, if you want the seller's phone number, you'll have to open the Craigslist link and click on the "show number" box. It's surprisingly simple.

6 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

It's surprisingly simple.

But it's not "surprisingly simple" with a Facebook ad which is what the '56 DeSoto ad in this thread is advertised in. If you're not a member you can't access the contact info and a lot of guys here are not members. That's why the rule says that the contact info like a phone number or email address must be posted in the ad. Maybe these guys who like to post ads should only use sources that are accessible to everyone like Craigslist and eBay.... 

11 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

But it's not "surprisingly simple" with a Facebook ad which is what the '56 DeSoto ad in this thread is advertised in. If you're not a member you can't access the contact info and a lot of guys here are not members. 

Now you know WHY I call it 'Fecesbook'!

Craig

On 9/9/2020 at 4:01 PM, The 55er said:

Nice low-mileage original car but I don't care for the monotone Iridescent Plum color. Any two-tone combo would be an improvement! The engine is actually a 330 Hemi, a one-year only engine used in 1956 DeSotos. 

It is! 

Check out the DeSoto in Post #15 here:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/88642-new-tw-don-t-read-unless-you-have-feb-s-already

Craig

5 hours ago, Lebowski said:

But it's not "surprisingly simple" with a Facebook ad which is what the '56 DeSoto ad in this thread is advertised in. If you're not a member you can't access the contact info and a lot of guys here are not members. That's why the rule says that the contact info like a phone number or email address must be posted in the ad. Maybe these guys who like to post ads should only use sources that are accessible to everyone like Craigslist and eBay.... 

I don't belong to Facebook and I've never posted anything to do with Facebook ads.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:01 AM, 8E45E said:

Now you know WHY I call it 'Fecesbook'!

You're just jealous because you weren't intelligent enough to start a company like that and become a multi-multi-multi-multi billionaire so you criticize it instead. Am I right or am I right? :)

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

On 9/11/2020 at 1:47 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I don't belong to Facebook and I've never posted anything to do with Facebook ads.

You haven't? This whole thread is devoted to a '56 DeSoto which is for sale in a Facebook ad. If you're so proud of yourself for not belonging to Facebook then why are you responding on threads like this one that feature cars  that are being sold on Facebook? You obviously just contradicted yourself.... :D

56 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

You haven't? This whole thread is devoted to a '56 DeSoto which is for sale in a Facebook ad. If you're so proud of yourself for not belonging to Facebook then why are you responding on threads like this one that feature cars  that are being sold on Facebook? You obviously just contradicted yourself.... :D

I came across a car for sale and remarked on it's color. Next thing I know, you are on your soapbox about phone numbers Are the AACA police? You shouldn't get yourself so worked up over trivial things.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Not sure its worth your time to continue this rant. Hudsy is a good guy and does not get sideways with anyone.  Because a post starts out as a Facebook find does not mean we can't comment on it based solely on what we see in the post.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I came across a car for sale and remarked on it's color. Next thing I know, you are on your soapbox about phone numbers Are the AACA police? You shouldn't get yourself so worked up over trivial things.

First you said "I've never posted anything to do with Facebook ads" and then you said you "remarked on its (not it's) color" so which is it? If you hate Facebook so much then don't respond to the threads regarding the cars for sale on their site. And the moderators are the ones who made the rule about including phone numbers in ads, not me. Try not to get yourself so worked up over such trivial things.... :)

On 9/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Apparently not, but I'm not entirely sure. 

Yes, it is straightforward to write code to read a number or variation of numbers or misspelled numbers as opposed to actual number and interpret them as phone numbers.  

Captchas - pictures that you must identify a “bus” or a “sidewalk” or similar items are used to identify humans (and as a side benefit train computer models ...maybe someone’s Tesla).

Thank you for posting this.  While I share @Lebowski‘s frustration that the free car market place has moved to FB I’m coming to accept that is reality and I appreciate this post as this is one of my more favorite cars in what appears to be in pretty nice condition! 

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Lebowski said:

First you said "I've never posted anything to do with Facebook ads" and then you said you "remarked on its (not it's) color" so which is it? If you hate Facebook so much then don't respond to the threads regarding the cars for sale on their site. And the moderators are the ones who made the rule about including phone numbers in ads, not me. Try not to get yourself so worked up over such trivial things.... :)

What in heaven's name makes you say that I hate Facebook? I didn't pay any attention to the source of this post when I simply remarked on the color of the car. I have no experience with it whatsoever. All I'm trying to do now is extricate myself from this silly conversation. Please carry on without me. And, yes, I anticipate that you'll have the last word -- have at it.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

What in heaven's name makes you say that I hate Facebook. 

If you don't hate it then you should consider joining it. They have thousands of groups just for old car lovers of every make and model and of course it's completely free. No matter what kind of old cars you own there's probably a group of fans/owners of it with their own Facebook page so why wouldn't you want to connect with them? There may be some guys in your area who like the same kinds of cars that you do. They also have free ads for everything under the sun and some people think that they have passed Craigslist in the number of free ads especially since Craigslist charges $5 for car ads now. If this is the only old car website that you belong to then you're missing out on a hell of a lot. Some guys on here seem to be proud of themselves because they don't belong probably because they don't understand it. If you did join then after a week or two you would probably say that you should have done that a long time ago. Think about it....

14 hours ago, Lebowski said:

You're just jealous because you weren't intelligent enough to start a company like that and become a multi-multi-multi-multi billionaire so you criticize it instead. Am I right or am I right? :)

No, I sure as hell am not!  I don't need guys like you camping out on my front lawn and knocking on my door asking for handouts.

Craig

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

If you don't hate it then you should consider joining it. They have thousands of groups just for old car lovers of every make and model and of course it's completely free. No matter what kind of old cars you own there's probably a group of fans/owners of it with their own Facebook page so why wouldn't you want to connect with them? There may be some guys in your area who like the same kinds of cars that you do. They also have free ads for everything under the sun and some people think that they have passed Craigslist in the number of free ads especially since Craigslist charges $5 for car ads now. If this is the only old car website that you belong to then you're missing out on a hell of a lot. Some guys on here seem to be proud of themselves because they don't belong probably because they don't understand it. If you did join then after a week or two you would probably say that you should have done that a long time ago. Think about it....

facebook-and-you-pigs-450x360.jpg.89864674cb826bf9e20cac9c09b09b2c.jpg

2 minutes ago, billorn said:

facebook-and-you-pigs-450x360.jpg.89864674cb826bf9e20cac9c09b09b2c.jpg

I had to get out my magnifying glass to read the fine print on the bottom which says: "If you're not paying for it, you're not the customer. You're the product being sold." So if I bought a stock muffler for a 2017 Camaro RS earlier this year through a FB ad (which I did) then how am I the product being sold? I'm feeling a little denser than normal today so could someone please explain that to me? 

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1956 DeSoto Fireflite - "Sold new in Indiana" Purple! - Lebanon, IN - Not Mine