Who makes the best ball joints and steering components?

39mm

New Old Stock U.S.A. made Companies, by far....

MOOG and TRW were always your Colgate and Crest of the Front End world.

McQuay Norris was decent, Andrews was very good....

TRW, McQuay Norris, and Andrews are all Out of Business...

I have plenty of N.O.S.  What is it you are looking for ???

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935.....New York....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mobileparts said:

New Old Stock U.S.A. made Companies, by far....

MOOG and TRW were always your Colgate and Crest of the Front End world.

McQuay Norris was decent, Andrews was very good....

TRW, McQuay Norris, and Andrews are all Out of Business...

I have plenty of N.O.S.  What is it you are looking for ???

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935.....New York....

Thanks. I'll call you.

Tim

Gents, I have complete faith in gent named Tom Telesco to rebuild my Saginaw 808 steering box. I have a 63 Riviera I wanted the steering to not feel like a magic carpet or like I was flying an airplane when I steer my 63. I sent my steering box core in and Tom returned a rebuilt steering box that fills my needs at an attractive price.
Trust is paramount when I buy parts from a supplier for a 57 year old car. I’m not happy with some of the parts quality, even today of name brand parts,  that are made off shore. I like OEM new or rebuilt original parts for my car. Tom Telesco is an outstanding source for rebuilt steering boxes. You can PM Tom on the ROA forum.

Turbinator

10 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Gents, I have complete faith in gent named Tom Telesco to rebuild my Saginaw 808 steering box. I have a 63 Riviera I wanted the steering to not feel like a magic carpet or like I was flying an airplane when I steer my 63. I sent my steering box core in and Tom returned a rebuilt steering box that fills my needs at an attractive price.
Trust is paramount when I buy parts from a supplier for a 57 year old car. I’m not happy with some of the parts quality, even today of name brand parts,  that are made off shore. I like OEM new or rebuilt original parts for my car. Tom Telesco is an outstanding source for rebuilt steering boxes. You can PM Tom on the ROA forum.

Turbinator

I've found it is best not to rush on an order. I've had so many parts shipped to me that will never be used. After online research, ordering - pay - pay - pay. Those courier companies nail you for their hardship fees and for what? Only to be disappointed when you open the box!

This forum here where we steer each other in the correct direction reduces research. Also, working with what you have or a parts car helps a lot. Last local resources may surprise you, especially if you have a core.

Rockauto great for a quick online check. But,being in Canada, I'll try to source this side of the border with the pirated P/N.

I'd love to have my steering box with tighter gears but it doesn't look like I stashed a core in any of my parts boxes from back-in-the-day. Magic Carpet Ride it is!

John B.

5 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I can tell u who NOT to buy ball joints from. But if I do this forum will delete my post. 

But I can tell u that I bought mine from Kanter. Here is a picture. U be the judge. 

D8901285-C2BC-44EA-9584-79816E26BB62.thumb.jpeg.029ca25b4e47b242aae66d8c9c3a6469.jpeg

Miserable cheats to send you that poor quality. Sorry, for you loss and aggravation. 
I bought my lower ball joints from NAPA. NAPA had my ball joints in a location in KY. I live in MD. Ball joints have been just fine. The cost of freight pushed the price at more than I needed to pay.

Turbinator

6 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I've found it is best not to rush on an order. I've had so many parts shipped to me that will never be used. After online research, ordering - pay - pay - pay. Those courier companies nail you for their hardship fees and for what? Only to be disappointed when you open the box!

This forum here where we steer each other in the correct direction reduces research. Also, working with what you have or a parts car helps a lot. Last local resources may surprise you, especially if you have a core.

Rockauto great for a quick online check. But,being in Canada, I'll try to source this side of the border with the pirated P/N.

I'd love to have my steering box with tighter gears but it doesn't look like I stashed a core in any of my parts boxes from back-in-the-day. Magic Carpet Ride it is!

John B.

John, I’ve purchased parts and I’m sorry to say I had made a mistake. I’m slower now to make a parts purchase until I’m pretty sure I have it right. Fortunately, the parts I made mistakes on I could resell. When I resell I generally come out with the loss of freight one way. I have had the wrong parts sent and then I get on the phone and politely get the problem sorted.

Turbinator

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

John B.

John,

Talk to Tom Telesco (telriv) about one of his steering boxes. I got one from Tom and did not have a core either. He will let you purchase without a core. There is a core charge but, it was cheaper than sourcing/paying for a core(which may be as much as the core charge) and then paying the associated shipping charges to get it where it needs to go. Tom will do his best to get you what you need. 

If you do try to contact Tom it may take awhile for him to get back to you. From what I understand Tom has been incommunicado as a result of bad weather in his area. He has lost his computer and phone along with the ability to use them. He is working to get back online.

Bill

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I can tell u who NOT to buy ball joints from. But if I do this forum will delete my post. 

But I can tell u that I bought mine from Kanter. Here is a picture. U be the judge. 

D8901285-C2BC-44EA-9584-79816E26BB62.thumb.jpeg.029ca25b4e47b242aae66d8c9c3a6469.jpeg

Had the same experience years ago...1 year and the boots were shot...you get what you pay for

Tom Mooney

8 hours ago, XframeFX said:

John B.

John,

Source a varable rate steering box from a post `68....these boxes are "faster" than the original quick ratio boxes and have the benefit of a slower ratio just off center (as in at straight ahead high speed highway situations which is desireable) which speeds up the farther the input gets from center (as in parallel parking).

Tom Mooney

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

John,

Source a varable rate steering box from a post `68....these boxes are "faster" than the original quick ratio boxes and have the benefit of a slower ratio just off center (as in at straight ahead high speed highway situations which is desireable) which speeds up the farther the input gets from center (as in parallel parking).

Tom Mooney

Tom,

How can one identify the post '68 variable rate steering boxes?  

Big sellers seem to have an advantage over the average guy selling parts.... shipping is costing more than the parts.

Amazon and others have somehow negotiated rock bottom shipping fees and the shippers are passing on the cost to the average seller.

I signed up for a FedEx account,  seemed like a win-win.... I could print labels at home and drop the box a Walgreen without traveling 12 miles to the nearest

FedEx store.    Last year from Feb to May I had $106 of "hidden" fees.   They charge extra for home delivery, extra for remote zip codes, and the killer was a charge for them to look up an address, they said they could not find.    A package that showed $12.50 when I did it online, could turn out to be $6-7 more when it show up on my billing statement.    Don't think UPS is any better.   

My only suggestion is to package the parts in the smallest box you can...the shipping fee is based on zip code, weight, and size of the box.

Ask if the part is in a plain brown cardboard box. If it is thank them and keep looking. Ask the name on the box. MOOG and McQuay are good, GM maybe. My experience is that factory replacement parts may be lower quality than production parts.

We had an AC DELCO plant near us. They made lock cylinders as one item. The QC story went; perfect ones in the driver's door bin, sticky in the passenger door, really bad in the scrap. If they got too many passenger door sets they were shipped to Genuine GM Parts. I have had some sorry stuff come out of NOS boxes.

My Great Uncle worked for Chrysler in the 1930's. He said they had big bins of seconds that they would build a whole car from at the end of a model year just to get a few more units out.

Bernie

Hey Tim / 39 mm,

I left you a message, but we will reconvene tomorrow....

Most Chineseum --- the mevotech, Delphi, ac (yes -- that A C!!!!),

quick steer, etc.etc. are all made by one outfit in China that supplies them all with stamped out slop (like a military mess hall...)

Proforged may have a different supplier --- because though while still Chineseum --- it appears to be better than the standard Chineseum slop...

(Still far from Quality...)

Yours, Craig.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 11:15 AM, 39mm said:

Anyone have any experience with Proforged brand?

I see this brand advertised on RockAuto as their Heavy Duty option at $50 each. They have upper & lowers. I would like replace my torn boots. But I can’t find uppers & lowers from MOOG.

Does anyone know anything about this Proforged company?

RockinRiviDad,

If you scroll up three messages -- you will see my second response...  On this matter....

If you scroll up about 15 messages, you will see my initial

response.....

And success is achieved by dialing my number ......

516 - 485 - 1935..... Craig .... New York.....

I used a front suspension kit from P-S-T for my 68 Riv. This kit had brake reaction rod rubber bushings for a 69-70 Riviera. I ended up buying a TRW bushing kit for the 68 BRR. P-S-T refunded me the amount I paid for the TRW kit.

I bought a NORS center link for the car from a seller on Ebay.

My two cents worth...