For you memorabilia collectors

Joe in Canada

This looks to be an old store oak and glass display counter that would be perfect for your brass light collection or what ever memorabilia you  pick up at swap meets. It sells in less than 3 hr. and stuck at 4.$  or 3 $ US in an estate sale  Are things that bad in antiques as these would sell in the hundreds. About a 1/2 drive from the Ivy lea bridge where we took the National Vintage tour last summer. A real collector of things everything from a real cannon to die cast cars.    https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/23527/item/display-cabinet-c-2206063/ 

Seeing no swap meets any bargains in the online auctions anyone??

33 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

It sells in less than 3 hr. and stuck at 4.$  or 3 $ US in an estate sale  Are things that bad in antiques as these would sell in the hundreds

4$ can, 3$ usd, That's crazy, unless not many local buyers would know about that website?

However, a local guy I know well, still runs his antiques auction warehouse for many decades:  About 3 years ago  he showed me the items that were on that weekly auction, and his expected prices on Oak furniture and display things like you posted.  He said a piece that was an easy sale for 300 to 400 maybe 10-20 years ago, would barely get to 100, but only on a very rare day.  And we are in Colonial New England where prices were once strong. 

That huge display piece would still have done OK to somebody opening a new store, but who in their right mind would open any small store this year? Answer: Nobody.  Also, there is a strong trend in private collectors downsizing due to age, so that also hurts demand for a large item.

Joe, it's odd I spotted this post when I had just came in from trying to tidy up the actual work area in my big shop building.  The whole time I was sorting and deciding what to save or toss, I just knew that most of it is useless junk to most people.  The stuff allowed me to fix darn near anything without having to run put to buy bolts, hardware, pieces of steel shapes, or weird but useful tools.  But after I quit, or pass on, it's all just dumpster bait.

• Like 2

Looks like it sold for $39. Considering the logistics involved bidding was really restricted to just someone local.   It's a nice item but needs some work to make it really nice.  I have several display cases like this.  Some are in my recreated old auto parts store, and one houses some of my brass stuff.  They are great in the right setting but are very heavy and awkward to move around.  All that glass just adds to the problems.  The most I've ever paid for one is $150 and that's the one holding brass lamps. It needed nothing except a little glass cleaner.   Bought three at one time from an old out-of-business hardware store-$150 for all three!  You see them on evil-bay for big asking prices but there is a big difference between asking and getting!

Terry

My Lamp Display resized.jpg

Old store 1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I sold my Missouri warehouse last fall there were 3 similar to Terry's that went for $75 each at auction. I had no place to use them in Texas.  Because of Covid  I would be lucky to find a buyer today.  Everything is online.

• Like 1

A close friend who posts all kinds of great period photos here ( Twinsix) found and secured for me a really great display case that was made in 1918 in the midwest and sent by train to Vt. to a general store, it stayed there until I bought it and currently resides in my heated masonry garage behind my Packard touring car and near my Buick conv. sedan. I refinished the oak frame , cleaned the glass and now need to find the time to place some of the stuff I have collected since the early 1960s in it so they can be on display. I am spending to much "free" time ( what's that?) researching and writing articles and  stories and contributing to the forums . Displaying your collection of collections ( Terry that comment is for you my friend) in period display cases just suits the memorabilia , makes the items and you happy too.  I agree transporting period furniture can be a chore to say the least , especially if the stuff being transported has beveled glass plate windows.

How many of you reading this think you live in a museum? Ain't it neat to be surrounded by history?  Makes me feel content - not in any way because the stuff is "valuable" ( ie 'worth money " - like some of your relatives think you are made of because you have "stuff") but it is just satisfying in your mind that you know you get and instant "feel good" sensation when you see it that cures most of the disappointment you have to face in life every day dumped on you by health issues, protests, demonstrations, taxes , and all the self proclaimed 'experts' you have to cope with . 😮

Sermon # 687 is now over.

• Like 4

Each item in my collections has a story, and brings back great memories of where and how a discovery was made. It's a way to stay connected with all the people and places I've shared the thrill of the hunt and excitement of discovery with.  Years ago I sat with an old friend and fellow spark plug collector at Hershey. He was approaching 90 years old and showed me a box of old plugs he'd just found. When I asked him how he knew they were not duplicates of some he already had. He said "sonny-boy, I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast this morning, but by golly I know my spark plugs."  I'll never forget that lesson- it's the important things that matter most and make the best memories.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terry, I used to collect beer cans, and at the height of my collection, had about 2500 cans.  Included were about 400 cone tops and 600 flat tops, for those who know what I’m talking about.  I could tell you where I got just about every can, and I could look at a can not in my collection and tell you instantly whether I had one or not. Just the way collectors are, I guess...

• Like 3

If you’re asking about the beer cans, I sold them in the late 1970’s to purchase a collection of cars that became available to me.  Some of the cans brought three and four hundred dollars back then.  Whole collection went for over 20k....I have one picture of the shelves of cans, very poor shot so not worth digging up to post...

• Like 1

Just curious since so many collectables have went down in price. Has beer cans held there value and went up since you sold them or was it a good time to change hobbies?

1 minute ago, Jim Bollman said:

Just curious since so many collectables have went down in price. Has beer cans held there value and went up since you sold them or was it a good time to change hobbies?

Full cans, chilled still seem to be desirable especially during these summer months.😀

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Years ago I had one of those cabinets, when we last moved I realized that it needed a special place and newer homes would not fit it. So I tried to get an auctioneer friend to take it and he didn’t think it was worth the effort to move it. Then I offered it to another friend who had a salvage company specializing in Victorian houses and said it was his if he moved it... I wound up leaving it in the house! If it was a smaller length there would be a tremendous amount of interest but it still takes a special place for one that long!