Elpad

Not exactly a garage but......

Posted (edited)

I’m a week away from retirement and decided to expand my side yard to accommodate my enclosed car trailer and my small motorhome. Started this project about 3 weeks ago. Finally I will have the toys all together and the two car garage will accommodate both of the Buicks. Space was of the essence, my house sits In a corner lot and elevated about 4’ from street level so retaining wall was required. Now to avoid female tensions, landscaping and decor must blend the architecture design.

should have decided to retire a little later cause this sound like more work for me. Not a chance for those that told me that I would get bored . Like I said, not exactly a garage but all this is Buick related!

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Another site view, the only place to grow space on my property. From house 🏠 footing to street level is 4’. The two car garage is on the other front side of the Home

C4F54A7C-3651-42DB-9A7D-5C032EBAD5A7.jpeg

6AFE1485-7878-4280-A73E-9C375486C693.thumb.jpeg.f6ec8717560e53fa8ed5302d862edaa8.jpegso excavation begins

E8AFCB0B-E23B-4F95-944B-15D5EC53C62A.jpeg

That looks like an interesting project....is there a specification from setback from the sidewalk, or can you go all the way up to it?  The pictures sure make it look like a tight fit...great objective though!

34 minutes ago, trimacar said:

That looks like an interesting project....is there a specification from setback from the sidewalk, or can you go all the way up to it?  The pictures sure make it look like a tight fit...great objective though!

Setback to sidewalk is only one foot since is not living space. The space is tight but it will serve the purpose. I can always double up as an interior yard/patio area. 

It took a total of 8 dump trucks to haul aggregate away  from job site, mostly good clean coral rock fill.

00F03399-74A7-4028-8198-CBDE4AFDB49C.jpeg

B026914A-EDF7-43BE-A67E-1E5CA3660482.jpeg

Looks good, and nothing better than having everything in one place........something I have yet to achieve.

• Thanks 1

With a four foot grade shift, make sure you don’t drag your trailer every time you back it in. Depending on the trailer and tow vehicle, it will most likely drag without a very long ramp.

The parking space will be within the enclosed area besides the house. A 6’ wall by the sidewalk and a 4’ retaining wall has already been built but there are limits in posting recent pictures on the thread. So terrain will be flat for vehicle traffic. This will be more like a driveway but for permitting purposes, building codes do not permit a driveway approach from the street due to corner property.

plans call for “Concrete Fence Wall”

Footing excavation 

EC64F946-E415-4F0A-B422-7DB8F486E9A0.jpeg

Do I have this right? It sounds like you are making a parking area as opposed to an enclosed garage? And if so won't it be a bit more inconvenient in times of bad weather events?

• Like 1

If you sign in and out, your 9.77 MB lock out will remove itself. Resizing photos is a pain in the axx. It’s my one complaint about this site.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Do I have this right? It sounds like you are making a parking area as opposed to an enclosed garage? And if so won't it be a bit more inconvenient in times of bad weather events?

I have a two car garage on the other side of the house. You are right is just a parking space for the 24’ enclosed car trailer and a 23’ mini motorhome. As far as weather, here in South Florida, lots of rain and thunderstorms during the summer and plenty of sunshine. I will be installing a detached, self standing “car port” at least 12’ high to house the RV. The trailer would not be covered. The trick is hiding a 12’ height structure from street view due to county ordinances, no RV parking on residential area. That’s where the landscaping magic will come into place. Wish me luck guys.

Al

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)

Main water line needs to be relocated

99D7D986-BD20-47CA-952A-059023F86707.jpeg

Smaller trench for water pipe. Plumber relocating and making connections 

EFE3CEBC-08D2-496C-930F-3DD6A5E79AE6.jpeg

Sprinkler system water well had to be capped. Miami seats in a natural aquifer system, I had well water about 13’. I would not have much St. Agustin grass or lawn to irrigate anymore 

F046556E-A26C-4CF9-B514-741484A6D002.jpeg

That’s funny, water at 13 feet.  We live on a small hill in a very rocky area, our water well is right at 600 feet deep....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, trimacar said:

That’s funny, water at 13 feet.  We live on a small hill in a very rocky area, our water well is right at 600 feet deep....

We live at the bottom of a very big hill.  well close to the bottom and our well too is 600 feet deep.  If it were any deeper I would swear we were pulling right out of Lake George.

• Like 1

I'm literally 1/4 mile from an ocean bay (about 10 miles south of Boston).  House sits on a slight slope toward the ocean, sea level probably 35 feet.  Am on city water but I wanted a well for watering my plants.  Had to drill down 400 feet to hit fresh water.  Even at that depth, water pressure is only at around 10 to 12 psi. 

• Like 1