Not exactly a garage but......

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Nothing is contraband or a grey area..............interestingly in my home town, the bylaw on side yard lists a bunch of things you can do, and goes on to say, anything else not listed is expressly forbidden. When I had the zoning officer over my house, I explained that grass, bushes, trees, picnic tables, dog runs, volley ball nets, snow piles were all prohibited items(Not listed).....as well as wild birds on the grass, cotton tails, frogs, ect. Since they weren’t enforcing all of those items, I couldn’t be selected out for any other thing they decided they didn’t like. They backed down, as they knew I knew how to file in housing court without a lawyer.........just the fee.........when they realize you will push back hard, they are so lazy they will turn a blind eye so they don’t have to do actual work. 

True

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I went to Camp Stewart in Kerrville, then visited there in the 1980’s to pick up my Cord phaeton from a collector who moved from Houston....

Both beautiful, the hill country and the Cord

Your carport idea probably won’t fly..........I certainly wouldn’t try it for five or six months. A carport is a structure..........wind load, ect. Also addition to the lot’s  non permeable surface. I would finish the space, landscape it, maybe even put a grill and table and chairs out for a while.........I’m sure Immediately parking the trailer and RV will bring the revenue generating boys out to fine and torture you. Slow and smart is the way to proceed. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

The larger backhoe operator missed couple of inches wide along the would be the retaining wall trench. The rebar installers could not seat the rebar with the proper plans dimensions so a mini excavator had to be summoned to scrape one of the sides. Two broken bucket tooth were damaged due to stubborn coral rock. So we begin the never ending story.

F6573DF3-DBA4-4BB4-89FC-1C2BDCAAEEB9.jpeg

When I lived in my hometown in Alexandria, I wanted to put a 30 by 40 Insulated metal building in my back yard.  Problem was I was on a small lot.  When I applied for building permit, they laughed at me.

However, the only building restriction was that no more than 50% of your lot could be covered by structure or driveway.  Mine came in at 48% with the building.  The powers that be searched for a regulation that would prevent the structure, but couldn’t find any.  Neighbors never said a word...

When I left my hometown, I sold the property to a friend who was head of the local zoo.  Alexandria, Louisiana, has a very large and very nice zoo, though one wouldn’t expect it.  He liked having the building so he could bring animals home if they needed extra care.  THAT, the neighbors didn’t like! Visions of tiger cubs roaming the streets made them uneasy.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The footing on the project is much larger than I expected.........

Even the building inspector was surprised but they are always updating codes due to hurricanes. Like I said this was an overkill of a project. The whole footing Took 25 yards of 3,000 lbs concrete and the tie-beam and columns fill  took another 10 yards. The inspector called the “Fortaleza” (The Fortress) when he visited for 2 nd inspection.

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

When I lived in my hometown in Alexandria, I wanted to put a 30 by 40 Insulated metal building in my back yard.  Problem was I was on a small lot.  When I applied for building permit, they laughed at me.

However, the only building restriction was that no more than 50% of your lot could be covered by structure or driveway.  Mine came in at 48% with the building.  The powers that be searched for a regulation that would prevent the structure, but couldn’t find any.  Neighbors never said a word...

When I left my hometown, I sold the property to a friend who was head of the local zoo.  Alexandria, Louisiana, has a very large and very nice zoo, though one wouldn’t expect it.  He liked having the building so he could bring animals home if they needed extra care.  THAT, the neighbors didn’t like! Visions of tiger cubs roaming the streets made them uneasy.....

I’m not finished yet and seen a young Iguana 🦎 visiting the site along with some 🐈 and a 🐕 that went to the bathroom on the bare soil! No 🐅 thought 

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

I agree, that's a heckofa footing for a pad, but the good news is that if they do the concrete correctly you shouldn't have any crack problem...

Exactly and I can use the oversized footing to anchor some custom made steel columns if I ever decide to put a roof

• Like 1

It will be like an open car port type structure but I doubt that they let me do it. will leave the footing area prepared just in case there is a zoning/permit request variance. 
I will keep dreaming.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

If everyone thinks it is overkill..........why do they require it?

Keep us updated on the progress,  makes our projects look like wimps.

My thinking is that both the architect and engineer upgrade the plans above latest codes so they can keep their 100% rejection free status. County building codes changed drastically here after 1992 Cat 5 Hurricane Andrew

8 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@ElpadMan! I must admit I did not see this coming out this way.  So how tall over the slab will that wall be?  Is it tall enough to hide the trailer from the streetview?

The wall is only 6’ tall, I will have to reach 12’ to hide the motorhome which is 11’ height due to roof AC. The trailer sits lower. I will do landscaping outside the wall to accomplish this. 

• Like 1

I am guessing your using crushed stone or river stone for a base.........pavement wouldn't make sense, and it would be very expensive. I can tell you this, if it were in my neighborhood........I would be watching this project with a very close eye. Best to get the landscaping finished, and the city to sign off on it as complete , and then wait a few months before you park anything there. Painting the wall a tasteful color or to match the house would also probably be a good idea. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I am guessing your using crushed stone or river stone for a base.........pavement wouldn't make sense, and it would be very expensive. I can tell you this, if it were in my neighborhood........I would be watching this project with a very close eye. Best to get the landscaping finished, and the city to sign off on it as complete , and then wait a few months before you park anything there. Painting the wall a tasteful color or to match the house would also probably be a good idea. 

We use crushed limestone rocks around here for fill and base purposes, I was going to finish with a white medium pea-rock due to cost  then I thought that turf blocks will be a good idea but pricey. The contractor keeps telling me to stop crying and do a nice thing to wife’s liking like a individual rectangular concrete slabs randomly arranged which is the latest on driveway finish. This way I can fill the gaps with polished river rocks or artificial grass. Hmm, maybe go this way so I can have a multipurpose patio area. For final inspection the wall have to be stuccoed And painted. Landscaping can be done at a later time. Ain’t planning to park there for a while. Have to break in the neighbors which they are like a an extended family. Don’t know if that is totally a good thing.

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)

I would not use pea rock for a base. Being round and smooth, it will not pack down very well to drive on.  I think the correct material would be 2A crushed limestone like others have said.  I agree with them from experience with a large parking lot that the former owner used pea rock as a base.

27 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I would not use pea rock for a base. Being round and smooth, it will not pack down very well to drive on.  I think the correct material would be 2A crushed limestone like others have said.  I agree with them from experience with a large parking lot that the former owner used pea rock as a base.

I wasn’t, I was going to do crushed lime rock fill and then was to finish with medium pea rock (#57) but changed my mind. Whatever I do the above fill has to be compacted first

• Like 1

Due to Hurricane/Tropical Storm Isaias, the tie beam forms were not removed, did not want any flying debris however; the storm never materialized. Looking forward to continue the project.

46747BB2-D171-4644-9423-6D76F30E3746.jpeg

How much room between the walls out by the street. Looks tight.......not too bad driving in a small RV, but even with a 24 foot trailer, you going to need skill to get in there backwards............wide streets would help, and not too much traffic is also a plus, But rush hour backing in may be difficult. My rig is 68 foot bumper to bumper, and I am a skilled operator, But that opening looks tight. Thoughts? I understand you only have so much room...........

The narrow end is about 11’ wide and the front is about 16’ very tight but I will manage. Traffic is light on residential area. At least I can use some space compared to the unused slope that I had.

16 feet is fine........not exactly the space between the eart and the moon, but an easy margin for safety. 11 feet is tight........too tight to safely and easily back into without good help. Also depends on how often you come in and out, which probably isn’t too much. Placing a ball hitch on the front of a vehicle can give better control once the trailer is inside the parking area. I have a John Deere tractor that is a decent size with a three point hitch, and it’s fantastic to have when moving empty trailers around the yard. It moves my open trailer like it’s not even there, and moves the 34 foot tag a long with some difficulty........the 48 foot fifth wheel ........well you just need the truck to park that big thing. Maybe some shrubs in pots on top off the wall with a watering system would be a good option for a fast and easy way to make it look green. Flat tires in close proximity to the walls should be another consideration, in the event you have a tire go down. That can be a real hassle. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Ed

Ed, wished I had more room but that’s all I got! The enclosed trailer is presently parked in a friends side yard which is even tighter and when parking it, requires two person to back it in for look out due to house roof eve corners. I seldom use except Long distance car shows. I will use extra eyes once I park over here in the future leaving some space behind so I can at least open the rear ramp door. The RV is 23’ and I would be able to even open the only slide out with extra space. When the time comes I will post the parking arrangements. Hey, I can always park my Buicks there without a hassle.

Al