City License Plates

1935Packard

Over the years I have seen some license plate extensions with city names.  Here are three that I have: 

IMG_5461.thumb.JPG.dd74320e6ae747916b31356d58fe25a1.JPG

I looked around online, and I haven't been able to find out much about them.  When were they used? For what purpose?  Were they used in addition to state plates, perhaps requiring a separate fee to park or drive in the city?  Or were they only ceremonial?  I figured some on this forum probably know.  Any help?

i have seen some of those for some of the older cities around here, one old timer told me they were for when you registered your car in that city, you got plate show the city it was registered in. some had years on them, some had years and a number on them. 

In Winnipeg for a few years, many years ago you got a paper tag to go inside on the windshield.  If you lived in the suburbs and were caught driving  in the City of Winnipeg you were fined a road tax.

Similar to the radio tax you were supposed to pay.  They cruised the streets and could tell if you had a radio on and had not pair the radio tax.

I believe the permits were $2.00 and the fine was $2.00 plus you had to buy a permit.  Seems stupid not to buy one in the first place.

UK also had radio and television taxes. Black vans could detect the IF signals.

I suspect part of the innovation that took place in the US was a lack of such taxes and unmetered telephony.

5 hours ago, West Peterson said:

IMG_9287.JPG

Fascinating, West!   Thanks for the context!   If I can bother you for another question, do you happen to know who sold them, or how they were bought?  Were they just items you could buy privately to show your civic pride, or were issued by the city?  

If the booster plates were designed to match that year's license plate, I think I have successfully dated the "Piedmont" plate I have.   I found it on the wall of an old garage in Piedmont, California, and there is only one year in which California's license plate was anything like that color -- 1927. 

1133673863_ScreenShot2020-06-24at10_51_55PM.thumb.png.8597b46a8793bb8ecf20e44d65efe0c1.png

381652208_ScreenShot2020-06-24at10_54_20PM.thumb.png.cf1553f55a3b050ee748e401bd30afee.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

7 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

If the booster plates were designed to match that year's license plate, I think I have successfully dated the "Piedmont" plate I have.   I found it on the wall of an old garage in Piedmont, California, and there is only one year in which California's license plate was anything like that color -- 1927. 

1133673863_ScreenShot2020-06-24at10_51_55PM.thumb.png.8597b46a8793bb8ecf20e44d65efe0c1.png

381652208_ScreenShot2020-06-24at10_54_20PM.thumb.png.cf1553f55a3b050ee748e401bd30afee.png

I have never seen a vintage ad about them, and I've never been told who made them, or where they were offered (city hall, five and dime, community fund raiser, etc., ????). All I know is that I started collecting them because I had an interest in license plates. The plates I like were too expensive for my budget, and I was able to pick these up for about $5 each. I'd buy one or two or three at Hershey. Now I don't see them for sale anymore.

Your thought about possibly matching a particular year's colors makes sense, but I suspect the color choice was entirely up to the community that had them made.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 8E45E said:

No one has mentioned Taxicab plates yet.  Edmonton and Calgary both issued separate taxi plates, about the size of a motorcycle plate that was affixed to the grille of the cab.

Craig

I'm pretty sure the question was only in regard to the booster tags that the OP posted. There are ZILLIONS of different types of tax (or tax-free) license plates.

5 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I'm pretty sure the question was only in regard to the booster tags that the OP posted. There are ZILLIONS of different types of tax (or tax-free) license plates.

In 1954, (and only that year), Alberta did issue front plates with the city or locality:  http://canadiandesignresource.ca/graphics/typography/alberta-1954-license-plates/

Craig

3 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Interesting. I wonder if they automatically gave them out, or if you had to pay extra.

With the exception of the 'Drive Safely!' plate, one would had paid extra.  I believe those 'Drive Safely!' plates were possibly issued free to Alberta Motor Association members.

Craig

Florida has baziliions of dfferent plates but the Florida city/town plates I do not think were for cars, look more like street signs to me. In addition to the state issued plates anyone can have any plate on the front (well a LEO got bothered my Florida car had a valid Texas front plate), are shops that will make anything you want (and usually have a gaggle of YOM plates). And then there were the 1972 "Arrive Alive" plates.

arrivealive.jpg

9 minutes ago, padgett said:

Florida has baziliions of dfferent plates but the Florida city/town plates I do not think were for cars, look more like street signs to me.

Nope. Much too small for street signs. These are the size of license plates (but not as tall), and it's well known that they are license plate toppers. They are documented in vintage photos.

• Like 1

White on dark blue was 1956 and repeated a coupla times in the 60s. Each had a different border or no but is hidden by the frame.

Point is shops abound that will make any (front) plate or tag plate you want. Is often on the front grill or a small plate on front to identify the town, development, or club you belonged to.  Particularly prized was the Everglades Club grille badge that told Bunny it was OK to park (and parking on Worth Avenue in the season was always chancy).

West, the Palm Beach and W. Palm Beach have a home here should you decide to sell them.......or maybe trade them for a ride in something interesting? 🤔

Yup. VA-NC "county strips" showed you had paid the county, town or city tax on your vehicle. Early 70s many VA localities started using a windshield decal which had to be placed to the left of the state inspection sticker which in those days was at the lower center of the windshield. Only in last 3 years did VA move it to lower left corner. Seems their center location was interfering with some of the  sensing technology in newer cars...

The stamped steel plates were interesting and seems there was no standardized size for them. Some had a slogan in addition to the locality name. The decals were fantastic as they allowed a little more "personalization" as in Halifax County had a tobacco plant on their decal. Danville City had the "Gibson Girl" as she was born in that city and was Lady Nancy Astor's sister. Then they got boring and only showed a local gov't seal. Now we don't get anything for our  local vehicle tax money except a receipt!