Who Can Identify All of These Cars?

Roger Frazee

George, Bob, Rose, Tilly, Hugh, Liz, Manny, Moe, Jack, Dolly, Henrietta, Maxine, 

On the far end, viewer's left, is the top of a midsize touring car, not enough detail to identify it.  Next, appears to be a topless runabout, not a Ford, and maybe no rear of body (hence, Bob). Rose is interesting. She appears to be a small to midsize touring car (may be a model T?) with an after-market fixed top, glass rear window, and notice how the lower edge of the upper roof over-hangs the touring car body (hand-me-down Rose with the hand-me-down roof). Next appears to be a '15 or '16 model T touring car (Old Tilly) based upon the rear window (light) and fenders. Hugh is a moderately large touring car with two framed glass lights (windows) in the rear of the top. Good old Liz appears to be an '18 or '19 model T Ford touring car (dirty, so likely older, with three window/lights so '18 ish or later). Next we have three '19 to '23 style model T center-door sedans! I was tempted to name them after the Three Stooges, but I have too much respect for the Ford model T to call it a "stooge", so went with the "Pep Boys" instead. The midsize touring car looks good. Fenders would suggest a Dodge, but the gasoline tank doesn't look right to me? It looks to be squarish, and I think most Dodges had round tanks at that time? Henrietta is a sweet little model T Ford coupe, 1919 to '23 style with the spare tire mount. The nearest and final car is the most interesting to me. A larger midsize touring car with interesting headlamps and radiator style. The fenders have a "double crown" common in the early to mid '20s. Several cars used similar fancy headlamps, Studebaker (on only a couple series/models) and Willys Knight among them as I recall.

An unusually high percentage of enclosed cars for that time, and all of them Model T Fords!

A very interesting photo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I wonder how many have their keys in the ignition.

Craig

All of them. In those days you left the keys in them in case someone needed to borrow the car. Also, locking and securing the house meant hooking the screen door.

9 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Not sure about the cars, but the ball game is the Yankees vs. the Redsox in a pick up sandlot game. Looks like it would have been early in Ruth's career; he's pitching.

Close, but no cigar.   The picture was taken in Urbana, OH.  I don't know who the teams are but it is probably a local "league" game.

5 hours ago, Jubilee said:

All of them. In those days you left the keys in them in case someone needed to borrow the car. Also, locking and securing the house meant hooking the screen door.

Not if one was only going to be away for a few hours, just in case your neighbor a few doors down needed to borrow a cup of sugar when she was in the middle of baking some cookies. 

Craig

• Like 1

What if someone stopped by and couldn't even get in the house for a cold drink of water.

On our 1853 house we hook the screen door in front but the back door is always open. The only people you can't trust are the ones at the front door anyway.

I think real thieves did get in once. My wife and I came home and found a $5 bill on the kitchen table. Neither of us left it there. Then I figured out someone must have come in to rob us, took a look around, threw the fin on the table, and went on to a better neighborhood.

And I would never leave my keys in the ignition at a store, not when I can just drop them in the cup holder and feel safe.

Bernie

7 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

What if someone stopped by and couldn't even get in the house for a cold drink of water.

That was never usually a problem.  A garden hose was readily available outside the dwelling.

Craig