Scam - Stutz Neon Sign on ebay

kbeach

I don't know  listing how to post the ebay listing here - sorry.

I bought this sign a couple of years ago and still own it. Same listing as before and same picture. The fellow that had the neon added to the reproduction sign only did one and  no longer lives on Mercer Island Washington. We have filed two complaints with ebay and so far they have been ignored. If anyone knows how to get ebay's attention please let me know.

Thanks

Ken

eBay has no desire to get it right. Actual common sense does not play into it. Just as many fees as they can get. I just got stuck with not only return postage fees but final value and original shipping fees on a part I was forced to accept as a return. Ad was for an nos trim piece and guy was upset the part was not sealed in the package. Huh? How did he think I got a photo of it on the GM package so he knew what he was buying? eBay dismissed this, sided with the buyer and when I questioned the month invoice with me getting jacked with these fees, they said since they ruled against me, it is a penalty fee to encourage me to list better! Now I’ve got that to fight out with the cc company to dispute it. So they will let it go and if a buyer actually gets the part and is happy, they make the commission. If he wants his money back with a bs sale, eBay has the sellers cc info and will bill it that amount anyway. Nice system right? 

Thats it - thanks for posting (some day I will learn how to do this).

If someone does try to buy it I am not sure just what they may get, if anything. What I do know is they will not be getting this sign.

Well being ebay almost always sides with the buyer,  not much risk in buying it.   If it never shows,  you get your money back,  If it shows and you don't like it,  you get your money back,  If pretty much for any reason you want your money back,  you most likely will get it,  so what's to lose? 

• Like 1

Maybe they made another one? Maybe there are multiple versions? A repro sign with neon on it isn't that tough to make and it's probably cheaper to make several. I agree with Auburnseeker--buy it and see what happens. Use a credit card and you have nothing to lose. See what shows up.

My guess is that he has several or made more and that it's not a scam.

• Like 3

I checked the listing and it looks ok, at least he's done the CYA thing well.  Had multiple examples, the description says he is selling a new unopened one, and obviously shows a sample in the photo.  It's quite obviously a repro, he even says it is,  most likely even a fantasy item that never really existed during the era it represents.  If you're collecting cute "man-cave" stuff that's how it's advertised. If you bought one before and it was sold to you as original then you certainly have a valid complaint but I think there is a time-limit on how you handle that.  There is an option on listings to "report item."

Terry

• Like 3

If the sign were real it would run well over 50 grand. That said, for 575, as long as you get what you see, you can't go wrong. Signs are on fire right now......and 50,000 plus fantastic pre war dealer signs are trading hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

If the sign were real it would run well over 50 grand. That said, for 575, as long as you get what you see, you can't go wrong. Signs are on fire right now......and 50,000 plus fantastic pre war dealer signs are trading hands.

It's been interesting to watch the good stuff sell.  I sat through an auction not long ago watching them sell for the same money we paid for cars a few years ago.   I spoke with one guy who was buying quite a few nice ones, and paying well for them and he said he had sold his business and retired so now it was time to play with cars and build his dream garage.  He was at the point where he needed to decorate it and was after signs, gas pumps, etc.  Just glad I started collecting when I did.  I can stop anytime and still be happy with my walls.

Terry

• Like 2

I agree that someone can make more than one reproduction sign and, if you are a lazy type person, copy another persons ad on ebay so you don't have to write a new description and add pictures, just change the amount and you are good to go. But why would you use the original posters ebay ID and location? The original poster is a friend of mine, retired and moved out of the area. He did not have more than one sign made. He has tried to notify ebay of someone else using his ebay ID, but they have ignored him. 

Just trying to give everyone a heads up.

1 hour ago, kbeach said:

I agree that someone can make more than one reproduction sign and, if you are a lazy type person, copy another persons ad on ebay so you don't have to write a new description and add pictures, just change the amount and you are good to go. But why would you use the original posters ebay ID and location? The original poster is a friend of mine, retired and moved out of the area. He did not have more than one sign made. He has tried to notify ebay of someone else using his ebay ID, but they have ignored him. 

Just trying to give everyone a heads up.

If he used the "report" function available on the listing it should work just fine.  I did that once for a fraudulent listing for an item that I had purchased a month previously and they took the listing down almost immediately. 

Squeebay doesn't care - one way or the other. They just want the money. They got rid of their customer service department and let an algorithm solve most problems. I've been took selling and buying. Caveat emptor.

Looking at the feedback I would feel comfortable buying it.

One would be lucky if the reproducer made multiples. I have had things made and only did two, maybe three in case it got damaged. The shop would ask "Don't you want some to sell and make your money back?" I have answered "What, and not have the only one?"

On 6/9/2020 at 4:53 PM, Terry Bond said:

I can stop anytime and still be happy

Like you my walls are full.  One of the few positives of being old and in the hobby 50 years.  I remember buying a 42 in DSP full feather Pontiac Service for $180 at a Omaha swap meet Al Edmond tool me to in 74.  Sure miss him!!