1975 Chrysler Cordoba - fine Corinthian leather - $5500 - Not Mine

1975 Chrysler Cordoba - fine Corinthian leather - $5500 - Not Mine

https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/d/rochester-1975-chrysler-crdoba/7131358757.html

ASKING PRICE IS $5500 which is low for the age, Miles, and condition of this vehicle. Come take a look, drive and appreciate the smooth ride, then make me a reasonable offer.
Spending most of its life in Virginia, this 1975 Chrysler Córdoba is in excellent condition for its age. Solid throughout with no rust. One fresh repaint due to Virginia sun fade, nice original interior with Corinthian leather split bench, solid undercarriage, nice chrome, 82,000 Miles, 360 V-8 with automatic transmission. Runs and drives perfect

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1975 Chrysler Cordoba.  

'75 Chrysler Cordoba - CL NY a.jpg

'75 Chrysler Cordoba - CL NY b.jpg

'75 Chrysler Cordoba - CL NY c.jpg

'75 Chrysler Cordoba - CL NY d.jpg

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I owned one of those in the 90s when I was broke and needed a cheap car.  My dad actually loaned me the money for it - 1500 bucks.  It only  had about 60k miles and was probably the most unreliable car I ever owned.

But A.J. it had "fine Corinthian leather" what else could you ask...

36 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What year was your Cordoba, Alsancle?

I've heard that Chrysler Corporation cars were getting

more unreliable in the late 1970's.  Too bad, because

they made some nice looking cars!

Right or wrong, the lean-burn system introduced in 1976 got a reputation for unreliability.  Part of the problem was location of the system control module on the engine air cleaner subjected it to heat and vibration - computers don't like that.

Dad traded his 2 year old rusted out Olds 98 on a new Cordoba. Mustve been a '75 or '76. He was always a Pontiac guy, and in the general progression traded up to an olds. He was so disgusted at how quickly it rusted out he switched teams and went to Chrysler. I was only 9 or 10, remember the car well, it was a dark metalic brown with tan 'corinthian leather' int. I dont remember him ever having any trouble with it, but he did end up trading it on an Audi.

On a side note, I thought I read somewhere that there was a company in NJ that had the contract to supply the leather, and it was a cheap grade at that!

20 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

How about his little buddy Herve? :)

IIRC he liked Cadillacs.

9 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I thought I read somewhere that there was a company in NJ that had the contract to supply the leather, and it was a cheap grade at that!

"Reech Coreeenthian Leather" probably never meant what most people assume. "Corinthian" is one of several standard generic auto trim grain patterns  Elk, SIerra, and Madrid are some others. You can get "Corinthian" grain vinyl or leather in all sorts of shades. Anyhow thats my take. Here's Ricardo's:

I also think they were a good looking car, but I've only come to that opinion recently. When compared to the standard cars of today their styling attributes become more apparent. I was never sure why people found the Corinthian leather phrase so amusing. It doesn't seem that odd to me. Maybe Chrysler included it on every Cordoba commercial, so it became the object of satire. Anyway, a Cordoba (along with some other late '70s - early '80's cars) remains a good way to get into a stylish old car without spending a ton of money.

I suppose that the frequency of the phrase eventually got on people's nerves. That, and perhaps folks got tired of Ricardo Montalban's accent. I thought that these bodies were very nice looking, but they often had overly fussy vinyl half roofs in contrasting colors and quarter window treatments which, in my opinion, made them look silly. 

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Just now, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Oh, man, did I ever want one of those cars back in ‘76.  BAD.   When fully loaded they were THE Luxo-Cruiser and girl getter. Oh well, I settled for a Volare, buddy John bought the ‘doba. I got junk.....he got the girls!

Jeff, I'm surprised that you were disappointed in the Volare. I've always thought of them, along with the Aspen, as some of Chrysler Corporations best.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Oh, man, did I ever want one of those cars back in ‘76.  BAD.   When fully loaded they were THE Luxo-Cruiser and girl getter. Oh well, I settled for a Volare, buddy John bought the ‘doba. I got junk.....he got the girls!

6 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Jeff, I'm surprised that you were disappointed in the Volare. I've always thought of them, along with the Aspen, as some of Chrysler Corporations best.

I had two Volares: a 1979 2-door coupe and a 1980 station wagon with roof rack - both were great cars with excellent a/c and ventilation systems.  I never had a problem with either one and when it came time to sell, both cars sold within 3-5 days.  Didn't give them away either.  

Chrysler seemed to do something right with the Volare because neither one of them rusted, not like my Ford or Chevy.

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Fender tops rusted out after one year, carpet never would stay in place, always came loose.  I finally bought some 3M 77 and that held. Trim outside was loose, I had to glue that. All this the first year. Mechanically it was EXCELLENT, six years and 115 K miles and ZERO motor/trans issues. I actually used it for rural mail delivery.

18 minutes ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

I had two Volares: a 1979 2-door coupe and a 1980 station wagon with roof rack - both were great cars with excellent a/c and ventilation systems.  I never had a problem with either one and when it came time to sell, both cars sold within 3-5 days.  Didn't give them away either.  

Chrysler seemed to do something right with the Volare because neither one of them rusted, not like my Ford or Chevy.

I loved the slant 6 cars.....I have had several over the years, no mechanical problems.  

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

I loved the slant 6 cars.....I have had several over the years, no problems.  

We had a 1968 Dodge Dart 2-door sedan with a slant 6, probably drove that car over 200k miles.  Just kept up with oil changes and all was good.  But rust?  That Dodge rusted anywhere there was a screw or bolt.  It had rust holes on the fender tops, roof rails, front and rear rocker panels, inside the trunk and front and rear floorboards.  We put a stop sign by the gas pedal just to keep rain water from splashing onto the driver's legs when you were driving on the Long Island Expressway.  Everywhere else on the car, the paint was faded past the primer down to the metal.  But the engine ran like a fine watch.  Sold it in 1980 for $50 bucks!    Those were the days!

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

You guys are right about the rust. The ones that I had still had nice bodies. I recall thinking at the time that my wagon was one of the nicest, most dependable cars I ever owned. Talk about rust, though, should we move on to the Omni/Horizon subject?

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

You guys are right about the rust. The ones that I had still had nice bodies. I recall thinking at the time that my wagon was one of the nicest, most dependable cars I ever owned. Talk about rust, though, should we move on to the Omni/Horizon subject?

Ugh.....I had a Horizon for a short time after my Volare, too small. Bought  an Aries and it too served me (and my customers) well for six years.

Well everyone I can not help myself, I have a car with a equally rare component, nearly as rare in the real world as Corinthian leather, my car has Carpathian Elm on the dashboard.  I am sure that there are people on this forum that know this is almost as rare as gopher wood (Noah’s ark), But only a few thousand cubits worth

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

I stand corrected.  To clarify, when I was a kid it seemed as though there were personal luxury cars 5 deep at every traffic light. Now they are all gone,  replaced by the ubiquitous SUV.