New Guy - Pontiac Chieftain

Greetings- 

My name is Thomas and I just joined the group as I am looking into buying a 49-51 Pontiac Chieftain. This would be my first classic car and regrettably, I don't know a ton about cars. Besides oil changes, brake pads and other little fixes back in the 80s, I haven’t done to much. Looking forward to learning as I go, but I am definitely looking for a driver.

I am looking for some advice because, I'm a little overwhelmed by the process of going through the car when I find it. Any advice/information on what to look for on this model would be greatly appreciated. 
From what I’ve seen in these forums so far has already been a big help. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

I should also probably mention that my budget is on the low side. Under 7k

Thank you in advance.

Thomas

Welcome Thomas, you've come to the right place!  More specifically, there is a section for flathead Pontiac enthusiasts:

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/87-pontiac-flathead-owners/

You'll find many knowledgeable enthusiast here and the Pontiac Owners Club International has a chapter whose specific emphasis is these pre-1955 model years: The Early Times Chapter.

http://www.earlytimeschapter.org/

Good luck with your pursuit and acquisition of your  Pontiac of choice.  Check the 'Cars For Sale' section here also, as those cars occasionally turn up, many very good values for the money.   

Rust is your biggest enemy on these cars. So look underneath very closely, on a hoist if possible. The mechanical side of these cars is very basic and durable. No serious trickery.

Parts are low cost and available.

• Like 1

My folks had a '51 Chieftain when I was quite young.  It had weak chrome (quite typical during the Korean war).  When it was traded in on their new '57 Bel Air, there was a hole in the passenger door large enough to stick your head into.  Dad said it was his least favorite car.  

Thomas, have you ever gone to on to Hemmings site to see what you can actually get for less than 7K for a 49-1952 ( same body, but 52 does have Dual Range on the HydraMatic) Pontiac???

For under 7K you are going to do a lot more fixing, replacing panels, welding, stripping,  body, paint, chroming, and interior work than driving.