Memoribilia to view - A guide

This is a taxi light that would mount on the center of the roof of a cab side to side approximately at the center door posts area or just before closer to the front above the drivers seat. It dates from approximately 1937-39 era.

I got it about 30 years ago in unrestored condition and restored it , one of the side top  bulbs is not original ( left side) as it was missing and I was able to get something close in size but not exactly the same. On the center large globe at front and back at one time was painted the word Taxi but most of the paint had worn off and was not longer readable so I cleaned it off . I am amazed that something like this has survived at all without being totally destroyed.

I would really like to find a period photo of a cab with this light on it but have only seen newspaper photos in print that were really grainy. the newspaper image was how I was able to date it. The paper was from 1938.

TAXIlight1938.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Another interesting piece 

IMG_2610.jpeg

Wow - one of my favorites!  It's in super condition too.  Tell us how you found it-

Terry

5 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Tell us how you found it-

When I moved to Des Moines in 1974 one of the accounting partners I used was a oil/gas collector who retired around 1985 and kept busy buying and selling memoribilia from his vacation home at Lake of the Ozarks where we had a lake cottage. He also had a booth at Iowa Gas and the Indy Add show which I attended frequently. He wasn't cheap but everything he handled was either 9+, rare or both  He was a great source over the years and everything  I purchased from him has increased greatly in value.  Sure wish there was a way to skirt the 28% tax on gains from collectables.  I guess I will let the kids worry about it.  Better yet donate it to a 501C3

Edited by Robert G. Smits
spelling (see edit history)

Here is a Miller Tire Sign that I picked up a few years ago.

It is sectioned or folded in four quarters.

It measures approximately 6 feet wide by 3 feet high.

Circa: Early 1930's

It sits on the wall to one of my garage stalls.

That's my thumb at the top left-hand corner.

Miller Tire Sign.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 4

A rare celluloid pin from my collection advertising the Black Crow automobile. 

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars (Kimes/Clark), it was the product of the Black Manufacturing Company, better known for their popular high-wheeled automobile, introduced originally in 1908. In 1909, the company bought out the Aurora Motor Works, and in partnership with the Crow Motor Car Company  in Elkhart, Indiana the new Black Crow was introduced in 1909.  By 1910 however, Crow, who was responsible for all marketing of the car, cancelled the contract, producing only the Crow from that point on.  that was the end of both Black and the Black-crow. 

Terry

Black Crow pin front.jpg

Black Crow automobiles reverse.jpg

Black Crow automobile photo.jpg

Black Crow ad 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

some buys from the past few weeks, mostly european items, the shell cardboard is a french calendar from 1937, bp gas porcelain sign is from germany, solexine bp porcelain sign with holder is from francethe texaco greasing guide is from 1923 and from belgium

DSC_0007.JPG

shell - 212.JPG

BP - 99.JPG

BP - 101.JPG

Edited by johnjohn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

More interesting automobilia here from my collection -

These are known as "souvenir vases."  They are small ceramic objects produced in the early 1900s and sold in gift shops.  They were most commonly found as the popularity of the automobile helped facilitate travel.  Think of all the opportunities that were created as a result of our ability to go places and see wonderful things!  Visits to places like Niagara Falls, historic homes, museums, and many other places you could only read about in National Geographic Magazine were possible for everyone.  Wherever you stopped, there was always a gift-shop or souvenir stand so you could take a memory home. 

These simple mass-produced objects were most often decorated with photos of the place you were visiting.  Others, though merely commemorated your automobile journey and had images like these.  Those with just cars on them are not easily found, and there are only a few different images that seem to appear on them.  the vases are from 4 to 5 inches tall.  

While the vases were the most commonly found types of decorated items, other small items like dishes, and unusual things like tiny shoes and even small automobiles were decorated.  The vases most often appear in Cobalt blue.  The images were transfer print "decals" that were hand colored prior to firing. 

The "ultimate' related object would have to be this great ceramic clock that has two different automobile images on it. 

Does anyone have other examples showing different objects or in different colors besides the cobalt blue? 

Enjoy

Terry

Souvenir vases.jpg

Ceramic CLOCK.jpg

Souvenir vase automobile.jpg

Souvenir vase automobile image on shoe.jpg

Souvenir vase auto image on automobile.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Additional research indicates that in 1920 phone companies in larger localities switched  to 4 digits as they prepared for direct local dialing. On the farm we still had an operator in the late 50’s. Anyone know when ISO VIS was discontinued?

• 2 weeks later...

Every now and then I pick up an item that is somewhat out of my wheelhouse. This nice little bronze paperweight is one of those things that I just fell in love with at first glance. Phares Bleriot made dynamo headlights for cars and early airplanes under the “PHI” name in the early teens. A very detailed item which is just 2”x4” in size!

IMG_1695.jpeg

IMG_1147.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Wow, Great!!!  Must be a good story on how you found it.

Terry

Not a good story, I was searching “sellers other items” on eBay and the price seemed reasonable. It was after we spent all day browsing through antique shops and didn’t see anything worthwhile so I decided I needed a fix…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheMoneyPit said:

Not a good story, I was searching “sellers other items” on eBay and the price seemed reasonable. It was after we spent all day browsing through antique shops and didn’t see anything worthwhile so I decided I needed a fix…

One of my favorite top secret things to do. Terry 

• Haha 1

This advertisement is really a link to the 1955 Chrysler 300.  I was 15 when it was introduced and my father took me to a Des Moines Chrysler  dealer shopping for a new car and the recently introduced 300 was in the showroom.  I was already a car nut and fell in love with it.  It has always been on my short list.  Carl Kiekhaefer was the founder of Mercury Marine and sponsored a fleet of Chrysler 300 race cars competing in NASCAR and AAA in 1955 and winning 37 races that were over 100 miles along with the NASCAR championship in both 55 and 56. Drivers Tim Flock and his brother won 18 NASCAR races in 1955 campaigning against Chrysler factory driver Lee Petty.  His team holds the NASCAR record of 16 straight wins. Overall he entered  190 races in 55/56 winning 52 with 116 top 5's.  His team also pioneered the use of dry paper air filters.  He retired from racing after the 1956 season as he was accused of cheating although a NASCAR investigation cleared him.

IMG_2895.jpg

• Like 2

Carl had a interesting history.  In 1939 he purchased a defunct outboard motor manufacturing company whose assets included 300 non functioning outboards.  His plan was to get them running and use the sale proceeds to begin manufacture of a magnetic cream separator for the Wisconsin dairy industry.  After sourcing an upgraded crankshaft for the motors he sold the lot to Montgomery Wards.  The motors were so successful that Wards kept ordering more leading to the establishment of Mercury Marine.  His record of outboard racing is as impressive as his auto racing. He also popularized the stern drive system. More information can be found in his biography "Iron Fist" published in 1991.  My apologies for too much information!

• Like 1