1956 DeSoto - Not Mine

For Sale on Craigslist 1956 DeSoto Fireflite 4-door sedan in Baltimore, Maryland  -  $16,996  -  contact: Jay call or text: (443) 655-0611

Link:  https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/abingdon-1956-desoto/7119590679.html

Seller's Description:

• Original Paint
  • Garage Kept
  • Approximately 20,000 original miles
  • Interior Clean
  • Drives Smooth

image.png.3e3d2e0789864f799e7745803c23d5ab.png

image.png.103a2895aa424571af4cfc4d63c91528.png

image.png.c18509bce7957bcc7313896d0f170c29.png

image.png.f0c1cee4369a4e3df983cca17a336b82.png

image.thumb.png.e8fa0df6a4b188e116b42bd40005ebd4.png

image.png.2713e3fa817eb0e7c083cc2788c87907.png

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Are DeSotos worth more than Buicks [?]... 

I would say the prices are comparable.  Both have followings,

though Buicks may have more of a following.  

Four-door sedans bring less money than 4-door hardtops,

though both are perfectly fine cars for enjoying the hobby.

You get all the fun of having an old car for less money than

a 2-door, and far less money than a convertible.  And I think

this 4-door sedan has beautiful lines.

Thanks for sharing this excellent find, Fin-Seeker!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I would say the prices are comparable.  Both have followings,

though Buicks may have more of a following.  

Four-door sedans bring less money than 4-door hardtops,

though both are perfectly fine cars for enjoying the hobby.

You get all the fun of having an old car for less money than

a 2-door, and far less money than a convertible.  And I think

this 4-door sedan has beautiful lines.

Thanks for sharing this excellent find, Fin-Seeker!

So looking at the 3 similar cars on offer the desoto and the olds actually mention sedan in description, looking at the Buick super , looks to me no pillar so hardtop ? Good value then 

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Attractive car 

are desotos worth more than Buick’s as been looking at 57 super listed on here , much cheaper and now just looked at 57 olds on here too , nice car and less than desoto too , so totally confused .

greenhorn so good to know 

I have a particular fondness for ‘56 DeSotos.  This appears to be in good shape from the photos and purported to have just over 20k miles on it.  I will defer to someone with more expertise to comment as to that originality of the interior (seats, for example) and note that several posted pictures are actually photographs of a computer screen.

Attractive colors, low mileage (from restoration?) and a fun car to drive ...though a challenge at slow speeds (e.g. parking) without power steering.  Price seems on the high side to me, but condition *appears* to be on the high side as well.

Edited by SparkEE
Fixed an auto*in*correct (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the 1956 DeSotos are the prettiest cars of the '50s. Yep, I said it. The styling is exactly right, a little flashy, a little sporty, and for big cars they mask their size quite well. The sedans aren't quite as sleek-looking as the hardtops, but they're all quite attractive. The '56 DeSoto Sportsman I sold a year ago is one of those rare cars where I asked the new owner to call me when he's done because I very much want it back. Great to drive, gorgeous to look at, and still very reasonably priced. My time with Melanie's '56 Chrysler has also taught me that Chrysler's quality was excellent in the '50s and they're well-engineered cars. I think this DeSoto may be a smarter buy than the blue New Yorker from a few weeks ago even though it's twice as expensive. At least a photo of the engine would sure be nice and I'm betting it's not 20,000 original miles but 120,000. Probably doesn't make much difference, though.

• Like 2

Not a Desoto expert but a mid-50s, mid price sedan should typically have a cloth (and vinyl) seat.

The all vinyl straight pleated upholstery looks like a redo, and while nice, it makes me question the 20,000 original claim.   But it is shinny and might be a good fun car. . 

I've had a 56 DeSoto with power steering and a 57 Olds without.  I preferred the feel of the manual steering, especially because Mopars of this era are very overboosted.  No road feel at all.  With manual steering you need to be rolling to park, but how many tight parallel parking spots do you really use with such a car these days?

There was an all-vinyl interior on the Firedome at least, but it didn't look like this car's.

16 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

I've had a 56 DeSoto with power steering and a 57 Olds without.  I preferred the feel of the manual steering, especially because Mopars of this era are very overboosted.  No road feel at all.  With manual steering you need to be rolling to park, but how many tight parallel parking spots do you really use with such a car these days?

There was an all-vinyl interior on the Firedome at least, but it didn't look like this car's.

I agree, with manual steering it was only slow speed parking spot negotiating that was a bit of a work out, otherwise a very nice driver.  I never drove one with power steering for comparison.

If memory serves the Fireflite was similar to what @neil morse has pictured 

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)

On 5/8/2020 at 10:37 PM, neil morse said:

Yes.  The car for sale is a Fireflite, and the pics I posted are of the Fireflite interior.

The picture posted of the leather and fabric upholstery is specific to the Fireflite Sportsman 2 or 4 door hardtop models.  The Fireflite sedan has more modest fabric and vinyl upholstery.
Have a nice day
Steve