Whether to Post C/L Cars or Not

It's 7:00 PM on Wed, May 6th. I posted a link to a '30 Graham Paige that's for sale on my local Craigslist on the AACA "Cars for Sale" site four hours ago. At this point, sixty-two people have clicked on it. That's quite a few people interested in seeing a listing for an off brand vintage auto, despite what member "Meteor" said yesterday.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, padgett said:

Probably worth $5.

I imagine that it's worth more than that, though I didn't give much thought to the value. I only posted it because there are a couple of nice guys that frequent these pages who are fond of the marque. Graham Man (?) being one of them.

I looked at your posting, see nothing wrong with it. The G-P doesn't look really bad, needs a lot of work, and given the current state of the markets, is likely well over-priced. However, if it could be had for a fair price, it could be a decent do-it-yourself restoration choice.

My opinion (since you asked), for whatever it is worth. I would hope that people here, out there, etc, would use reasonable discretion on what C-L ads to share. I certainly would hope nobody would post in the "Cars For Sale" every common rusted out field hulk ad they find. There are oh so many of those on C-L, and nobody needs to see many of them. Although,  a single thread with a hundred such postings for entertainment purposes could be very interesting. And it could be skipped by others as well as me that tire of it. But cluttering up the "Cars For Sale" section with a hundred such ads wouldn't do anybody much good.

Actual collector type cars, well restored all the way down to maybe decent projects, on the other hand are different. Posting "Not Mine" in the "Cars For Sale" section often leads to interesting cars, whether orphan makes like the Graham Paige or a nice original '50s Mopar can be very interesting, and can lead to a nice acquisition for some of our regulars that do not actively check Craig's List.

Another thing to remember however. C-L ads time out or often get cancelled in a short time. It would be appreciated if when sharing such ads? (Computer skills allowing?) To copy and paste at least part of the ad with at least one decent picture and maybe a few details. Otherwise, all we get to see is a link to "Posting has Ended". Besides, sometimes we like to look back later to compare to another car for sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good advice, use discretion and a bit of courtesy when posting a C-L collector car for sale that is not your own.  Discretion would be unusually offered orphan make cars, nicely-preserved original cars and trucks of all makes.  A disclaimer that no endorsement of asking price is implied by posting it for consideration.   The addition of one or two of the better photo and pertinent description from the posting also a courtesy.   

Craigslist postings tend  to be over-priced, many badly so, that's a given.   It also tends to be loaded with plenty of popular make and model collector car listings which are not hard to find anywhere in the country, making a re-posting of those simply unnecessary.   Apply a measure of common sense, discretion and courtesy and we'll all enjoy and benefit.   

I am all for the sharing of information and consider available cars to be really valuable information to share.  I looked at the Graham post and thought it a neat car. 

Something specific to Facebook posts, be sure to share locations and record contact info if you have it, because finding an ad on Facebook is almost impossible. They simply do strange things. 

Finally, can we please give Meteor a break?   

I think a sub topic under Cars For Sale called "Pending" might be best. The poster would submit a proposal to post containing a brief description of the source of the ad and details of the car. At the end of 30 days, with 100% consensus to post the forum member could proceed with the ad where it would have 10 days for peer review and permanently displayed if consensus was maintained.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

It's 7:00 PM on Wed, May 6th. I posted a link to a '30 Graham Paige that's for sale on my local Craigslist on the AACA "Cars for Sale" site four hours ago. At this point, sixty-two people have clicked on it. That's quite a few people interested in seeing a listing for an off brand vintage auto, despite what member "Meteor" said yesterday.

GOOD For YOU!!!! I don't have time for Craig's List, thank you for cherry picking stuff for us. Never understood the cry baby complaining in the first place. Bob 

59 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Am I understanding you to say that you want a member to post a request to post an ad that if anyone disagrees after 30 days the permission is denied?  Then keep the ad up permanently if it is ok with everyone?  Since it is pretty much impossible to get 100% of people to agree on anything how can this be anything but a blanket denial of outside ads?  Unless I am really not understanding what you mean.  Not that I have ever completely misunderstood anything before.😀 

I wrote it on Notepad to copy/paste here. That was the fourth try and the only one that didn't have "curmudgeon"  in it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I think a sub topic under Cars For Sale called "Pending" might be best. The poster would submit a proposal to post containing a brief description of the source of the ad and details of the car. At the end of 30 days, with 100% consensus to post the forum member could proceed with the ad where it would have 10 days for peer review and permanently displayed if consensus was maintained.

59 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Am I understanding you to say that you want a member to post a request to post an ad that if anyone disagrees after 30 days the permission is denied?  Then keep the ad up permanently if it is ok with everyone?  Since it is pretty much impossible to get 100% of people to agree on anything how can this be anything but a blanket denial of outside ads?  Unless I am really not understanding what you mean.  Not that I have ever completely misunderstood anything before.😀 

😀 is probably exactly the intended reaction. We all know Bernie, and appreciate his sense of humor !    -   CC 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1