There was a misunderstanding, now big car auction

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

Maybe if we pooled both of our checks?

😄

It's going to take at least three stimulus checks for that to happen, so you guys will need me as third partner in the deal. 🙂

I most like that maroon two-seater coupe in the front, but I don't know what it is. I don't know European cars very well, but it looks kind of Mercedes like, but I don't see emblems indicating that. Don't think it's a Ferrari..but might be. Lusso (??)

What's with the pro-street XKE, though?? Yikes!!

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think it's an early Ferrari Berlinetta.

If.... I mean when we win it, I'll take it November through February 'cause our winters here are in the 70's/80's. You and Terry can flip a coin for the other eight months. 

Jeez, now I can hardly wait!

Apparently crime DOES pay. And despite the magnitude of his crimes, because he's a rich guy he won't really get in trouble. On the other hand, he defrauded a bank. Not sure which the authorities love and protect more, banks or rich douchebags.

Since they're selling these cars to settle a bankruptcy, they are all no reserve, so there might be some bargains. But maybe everyone has already had that thought and the prices will be way over market (which seems to be how he bought them in the first place). Or maybe there will be some kind of prestige attached to buying a car out of a collection like this with some notoriety. I still see people trying to hawk cars at a premium as part of the "O'Quinn" collection, as if being part of a rich, dead lawyer's palimony suit adds any value to a collector car. Bill Harrah? Absolutely. Guy who died by driving into a tree without once having driven a single one of the overpriced cars he bought? Not so much.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Apparently crime DOES pay.

Well, sure.  If you steal money out of a cash drawer, you're a thief and go to jail.  If you take a LOT of money from an organization or company, then you're just an embezzler, and you get a slap on the wrist.

Don't steal, but if you're going to ignore that advice, steal big....

• Like 5

On 5/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, GregLaR said:

Oops, I was wrong. Apparently the car in question is a 1953 Fiat, not a Ferrari. 

That was a head scratcher for me, too. Thanks for the ID. Fiat has made some fairly ordinary looking cars...and some real stunners.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:48 AM, trimacar said:

Well, sure.  If you steal money out of a cash drawer, you're a thief and go to jail.  If you take a LOT of money from an organization or company, then you're just an embezzler, and you get a slap on the wrist.

Don't steal, but if you're going to ignore that advice, steal big....

I viewed a brilliant college student's graduation speech, Warren Wilson College up to Asheville, once where the young man assumed the presence of Teddy Roosevelt  in what I believe was a direct quote:

An uneducated man can sneak into a boxcar and steal a box of wrenches. A man with an education can steal the whole railroad!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1