String used on engine pan studs

Do the holes drilled in the crankcase for the bolts for the oil pan go into the crankcase so that oil can drip down the studs ?  

On a few cars that I have encountered that have this issue (and thus there is a little puddle of oil sitting on top of the bolt that eventually drips down the bolt - they have a little copper asbestos filled crush washer (no lock washer) under head  of bolt.  Or, they have a flat copper washer under head.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMJItkiFwg55C1k-IbzpOw9WROMhGAyO3x31c4_S1y9sqgKRUtAbNcMjYbsgGN_mZkNOTkcKIX4jNcNTTPFwWgrhX_Kn9VlmBSknM1KOKykpCRzLU8x-17&usqp=CAE or shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2AAW2Y_W_uYxbO_VuDrLmnHGhHnJUUGDF8Sj0ya2bUg3SOM1MWmS7PzPMHAKsK-eUkUngOn2B_NCFwGiUUe7rTQ_WYvYISLsEyClylJF75__bBl0twOa2&usqp=CAE

When we used to run a dragster in the early 60's, we could not afford oil pan gaskets so we used twine covered with Form-A-Gasket. We first installed the bolts then put the twine in length wise and then tightened the bolts.

It never leaked like the cork gaskets.

(AA Dragster blown)

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's a picture of a stud with the string wrapped around the stud under the lock washer.IMG_7017.thumb.jpg.1135c1705b0c3e84c0e8b21515b80ae8.jpg

There has been oil dripping down each one of these studs for quite a while now, hence part of the reason for taking the pan off. I also am very curious to see how the bottom of the engine looks. It was probably last taken off in the early 60's when the car was completely restored. 

• Like 1

I have been told it’s a trick for stopping an oil leak around the bolts for the rear main bearing on a Model A Ford but I don’t think I have seen it done anywhere else, but I know of several A’s that it was done to...

So today I spent part of the day removing the studs around the engine pan.With the added thickness of the string there was no way to slide the aluminum pan off. So with jam nut and a lot of patience I was able to remove the pan, probably for the first time in 60 years. Very glad I did as the metal screen that serves as the filter for the oil pump was pretty clogged with dirty oil.

The good news is the rest of the engine look to be in perfect shape. The cylinder walls have a nice glassy polish. The sediment in the pan was really not too bad either.615607733_EnginePan.thumb.jpg.460015c39450e79b9908a9283a3f64e3.jpg

On another note is also looks like there is not a gasket for the engine pan. I'll double check my parts list for 1914-1915 Chandlers, but I don't remember seeing one listed.

• Like 1

I have used soft copper tube cut a little bit longer than the flange you are going through. When you tighten the nuts it will behave like a crush gasket. This is assuming you have space in the hole and the size works out. It won’t work with a lock washer.