fuel lines problems or else ?

Sergio Santos

Hello ! anybody can give me a info about in this issue  on  my Buick Roadmaster 1950  I need to crank several times to fuel shows up on my glass fuel filter , replaced the fuel pump and still doing the same  , after several cranks it runs and then I see air  in the glass fuel filter when turn it off the fuel goes back in the fuel line .

66487C6D-C516-4DEB-BE80-4985B17DAD01.JPG

Is this a new car to you ?

Had a Sunbird with dual quads I always needed to prime or it would take forever to get gas. Same happens to my Judge if it sits for a while.

The sucking back seems strange. Any chance you have a non-vented gas cap (emissions cars) and are supposed to have a vented cap ?

On 4/25/2020 at 4:20 PM, Sergio Santos said:

Hello ! anybody can give me a info about in this issue  on  my Buick Roadmaster 1950  I need to crank several times to fuel shows up on my glass fuel filter , replaced the fuel pump and still doing the same  , after several cranks it runs and then I see air  in the glass fuel filter when turn it off the fuel goes back in the fuel line .

66487C6D-C516-4DEB-BE80-4985B17DAD01.JPG

I have found that the white tape you are using  can possibly close a line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stakeside said:

I have found that the white tape you are using  can possibly close a line.

It can if not used properly.

There are many that refuse to use it at all.

As for the cranking, Several of my cars need a prime after not that long of  a rest.

Some say the fuel syphons back, some say it modern fuels evaporate away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Some Rochester carbs had a "power valve" on the bottom of the bowl that would leak down when sitting. The result was an empty carburetor bowl the next time you tried to start it. After that, a period of cranking to refill bowl and start engine.

This is why I have an electric pump on most of my cars. Turn on ign., wait until the pump stops, and the car starts right away.

• Like 1

I have had cars that always showed air in the filter bowl.  It is not a good indicator.

When the car has been sitting does it squirt from the accelerator pump? That's a big cast iron heat sink the carb is sitting on. Some carbs have anti-perculation valves to keep from boiling the fuel out of the bowl. It could be vaporizing as it cools.

I would be curious of how the flowing back problem was diagnosed. If you really think it is you have fitting arrangements to put a small ball valve at the filter inlet. Drive the car to full operating temperature, close the valve, and see if it starts the next morning to verify that.

There are a lot of possibilities that just need a patient person to be right there. What country are you in?

Bernie

• Like 1

That Teflon tape can give you all sorts of trouble. All it takes is a small piece to wind up in your carb and it can get stuck in a jet, ball or orifice.

• Like 1

In the marine industry there are some applications that require a anti syphon valve at the fuel tank. (line running lower than the tank).

However this sometimes caused problems with to much restriction as the fuel pumps could not always over come the check valve.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...