Buick Global Sales 2019

MrEarl

Someone is doing a great marketing job on the Cadillac XT4.  When the Riviera owners met in Overland Park, Kansas  in 2018, we took a tour of the GM Fairfax assembly plant in Kansas City, KS. The XT4 is built on the same assembly line by the same workers as the Chevrolet Malibu.  Why so much more in $$$$.

What has the production been for U. S. Buicks 

in the last year or two, or three?  I've heard it has

dipped below 100,000.

Buick execs, please give us something exciting--

beyond 4-door sedans and utility vehicles.  Did you

forget about graceful hardtops?  Did you run out of

paint in colors other than gray, gray, gray, black and white?

• Like 4

It appears they are counting a lease as a sale. Most of those are coming back in three years. Right now a 20,000-25,000 mile off lease car is about 55% of original sticker, probably the best deals out there for a plain vanilla vehicle. But those are going to be a tough sell now. Around half a million of those "sales" will be back to haunt them in a few years.

A couple pictured above will probably lose favor and sales due to their origin. I know that is how it is around my neck of the woods. Things are changing at a personal choice level. I am looking at 4 post lifts and pretty much tossed out everything but the US built Mohawk, but I still want to know where they are sourcing the steel. 2020, I am just trying to see more clearly now.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buick is discontinuing their sedans and wagons after the 2020 model year so I feel that big GM wants them to be a China only company. I’d consider a new wagon if I could get it with more options of colors. Shades of grey aren’t really my thing. Also I genuinely don’t think GM want to make cars anymore they aren’t really that compete with the foreign brands in that respect. I don’t think it’s that sedans and wagons don’t sell well. GM just isn’t putting in the effort to sell them. 

• Like 1

The age of the average Buick buyeris still 50-80, but baby boomers are typically taller than early post WWII  people. It is hard for a creaky boned 6 footer, even 5' 8", to get in and out of those low sedans. And my daughter and son in law are have a Honda and a Lexus. They will never be Buick buyers. Buick is just selling vehicles the elderly can slide into easily.

My '94 Impala SS is a Caprice with 3" lowering springs for that model. My wife, who used to be 5' 10" won't even get near it. She prefers my truck with the seat 4' off the ground. I thought about taller Caprice springs to bring it up to the height of the '50 Electra which fits her fine. But that egress issue is a big one. I am the prime driver of her Tahoe now. Though it is tall, she slides lower on the leather seats and it is not as easy to ride as my cloth seat Silverado.

I am pretty flexible and fit into anything. I am still not sure if I am in better shape or just complain less. Probably a little of both.

Bernie

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I am pretty flexible and fit into anything. I am still not sure if I am in better shape or just complain less. Probably a little of both.

Bernie

The only car I can think of right now where I had difficulty getting in and out of was a Lotus Elise with an extremely wide and tall sill to step over to enter and exit.  One has to be an acrobat to get in and out of it. 

I did tell the salesman, all your neighbors will be staring out the window to watch your wife get in it, as she would have to lift up her dress might high, so as not to tear it in half.

Craig

• Haha 1

I'm still pretty sure a Regal TourX wagon will be my next car. I think I'd like a white one. Was going to pull the trigger this spring and replace my aging CTS wagon, but with the pandemic thing, I couldn't justify it. I still want one, though. If they kill it before I'm able to make the purchase, I'll still probably buy a used one coming off lease.

My reason for buying this car is nothing more than I'm a wagon guy and I like how it looks.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'm still pretty sure a Regal TourX wagon will be my next car. I think I'd like a white one. Was going to pull the trigger this spring and replace my aging CTS wagon, but with the pandemic thing, I couldn't justify it. I still want one, though. If they kill it before I'm able to make the purchase, I'll still probably buy a used one coming off lease.

My reason for buying this car is nothing more than I'm a wagon guy and I like how it looks.

I'm a Tour X fan too but Buick and GM don't even give these cars a legitimate shot in the marketplace.  It's like they say "OK, OK here you go but we aren't going to advertise it and you better buy a ga zillion of them - or else!"   Mary Barra and her crew are a bunch of clowns, clowns we bailed out by the way.  They are totally following, not leading and feel just being GM they will sell something to somebody. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

It seems they’re practically giving them away I saw an ad for one on Facebook with 1500 miles for 20k. I just wish it was a colum shift. And could have interior colors other than black or tan. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Regal TourX

Don't know if I have ever seen one.  I know I have not seen any advertisement.  And they want to sell those things? 

2018-Buick-Regal-TourX-front-three-quarter-00-e1517266878314.jpg?fit=around%7C875:4925.jpg?height=400

I think I'd like to have one in white, maybe the burgundy as a back-up choice. Different wheels, though. The factory wheels are pretty awful.

Two days before the end of the month and lots full of floor planned cars. Stick your head around the door by the key rack and check the card with the invoice code. You might get it for less if the quota arrangement is on your side. Tell them you want GM financing and pay it off in May. Don't forget to throw in carpet protectors or mudflaps to make the salesman your friend.

I think the best deals, today and maybe not tomorrow, are the off lease vehicles. Lease holders are keeping those cars real nice for the next guy. My daughter is on her third Honda Civic lease and she really gripes about giving them that new car back. But I haven't been able to talk her into buying one.

GM, well, the day I saw my original stock value with the first whole number twenty places to the right of the decimal point.... I just got kind of lukewarm about the whole thing. "I" have 120 years of great cars to choose from if you start at 1899. Many will go for ever.

Bernie

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

The factory wheels are pretty awful.

My father bought a new 1966 Ford Galaxie. When he traded it on a '69 Galaxie fastback he kept the wheel covers with the red center. And swapped those onto every car he bought after that. He thought the newer ones were pretty awful.

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Regal TourX

Don't know if I have ever seen one.  I know I have not seen any advertisement.  And they want to sell those things? 

I like them as well.  Unfortunately, in another one of GM's stupid moves, they chose not to market them in Canada.

Craig

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 3:20 AM, Kevin M said:

... I’d consider a new wagon if I could get it with more options of colors. Shades of grey aren’t really my thing. 

21 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'm still pretty sure a Regal TourX wagon will be my next car. I think I'd like a white one....

A little known fact:  General Motors has offered custom

paint colors until much more recent times than people realize.

In 2014, I interviewed Bob Lutz, former Vice Chairman of GM

in charge of car design, on the subject of today's limited choices

and lack of individuality.  He said that while he was there

(until 2010) they would paint a car in custom colors.  More

recently, he said he didn't know whether that program still existed,

because he hadn't been with GM for a while.

I asked the sales manager of a large local Chevrolet dealership

about the custom color program.  He had no idea that it had existed!

So it must have been very little known in recent years.  And

Mr. Lutz wasn't talking merely about fleet colors.  Most

car collectors I know think custom paint disappeared decades ago.

But what if it still exists?  What a world of opportunity is opened up!

Someone with some more recent contacts with GM executives

should investigate.  I too am tired of gray.

GM and Ford will paint a vehicle any color you chose, just like Porsche, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, etc., but be prepared to pay the same as Porsche will charge.  The car has to be pulled from the assembly line while a special paint formula is mixed just for that one unit.  Expect to pay $4-$5K over for that special paint job.  On a Porsche, $4-$5K isn't a whole lot extra when the car is well over $100K, but on a $40K Buick, that's 10% or more of the price.

Craig

Craig, do you know the names of those programs at GM and Ford?

At Porsche, it's called "Paint to Sample";  and "Leather to Sample"

for custom-colored interiors.  Are GM's and Ford's programs

arranged through the dealership?  Is there a special form?

You imply that it can be done on a single vehicle.  Great!

Remember that the Chevrolet sales manager didn't know about it.

And before talking to Bob Lutz, I spoke to customer service people

at GM's toll-free numbers, and they said custom colors weren't available.

In the 1980's, special paint cost about $300 extra for a Cadillac.

Ah, the possibilities of designing your own individual car colors!

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Craig, do you know the names of those programs at GM and Ford?

At Porsche, it's called "Paint to Sample";  and "Leather to Sample"

for custom-colored interiors.  Are GM's and Ford's programs

arranged through the dealership?  Is there a special form?

You imply that it can be done on a single vehicle.  Great!

For Ford,  it would be classed under their fleet ordering program, and I believe the code is '99-Administrative Deviation' or close.  In other words, the more vehicles you order in a non-stock color, the better the price break will be.

GM's should be similar, but I think the Corvette has a D30 code for Paint Override.

Color Combination Override, provides the opportunity

to individualize vehicle appearance by overriding

recommended restrictions to exterior, interior and seat

belt color combinations

1 - To be used exclusively to override exterior, interior and

seat belt color combinations. SOLD orders only. Color

Combination Override is available at an additional charge.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/docs/2020CorvetteStingrayOrderGuide.pdf

Craig