tires for rollers

nickelroadster

Two or three months ago I sold a set of 34"x4.5" tires for $100 on this website a fellow in Canada that he wanted to use as rollers when working on his car.  We managed to meet up in Pennsylvania and transfered them.  He now sends an email saying that they are bubbling up and falling apart except for one that does hold air.  He now wants his money back.  I didn't realize that used stuff was supposed to be warranted.  I have bought stuff on the site that was misrepresented and I did not recieve a refund.  As far as I knew, the tires would be good for rollers and I was selling them as driving tires.  He had an opportunity to examine them when he picked them up.  I am kind of leaning towards giving $50 or $75 back as he did get one tire that could be used.  What are some other opinions on what to do here.

Sure. Follow your inclinations. You both will feel better. A few years back, I sent a set of shot shop rollers back to a member who needed the hard to find size. I made a gift out of them, and paid VERY cheap Greyhound shipping also. I had sent description of their lousy condition, and detailed pictures. I was just happy to have found a home for them, which had absolutely no use to me. Well, he had to drive to the "Doghouse" to pick them up. If I had found out later that the tires were unusable, I would have compensated him for his time and gasoline expense over this incident. It would have just made me feel good to have done so. Don't over think this, it is not exactly high finance. It seems you have great ethical standards.    -   Carl 

• Like 1

If he really only needs the tires to use as rollers to move around during restoration, send him 4 inner tubes.  Cheap enough, solves his problem and leaves you feeling better.

What should we use to roll the car around the shop then? I could use some 34x4 (not 34x4.5) rollers. 4 new ones in the cheapest brand available with tubes and flaps are $1436.00 plus tax and shipping. The car won't run for at least 10 years. Shall I throw them away then because they are too old? Many in this forum would say so.

I think it is just plain wrong to be asking for money back on some crap "roller" tires. That is the risk you take, and the risk I would gladly take for some dirt cheap 34x4 so I could push a chassis around without spending $1500+. If they fall apart, they fall apart. That is why they were taken off the road, because they might fall apart, and why they are caller "rollers".

I see no sense in drilling holes in anything. There is no reason to be buying new tires for cars that don't run, only to throw them away unused later. Any intact tire in an antique size someone can probably use to push a project around.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

A lot of shops just use circles cut from plywood for rollers around the shop. Work fine, roll well and never go flat. Personally, I never sell anything that may go bad without a bill of sale stating condition and / or warranty conditions. Saved me a few times. It may be in your best interest to settle with him, but if you do send a refund, mail it in a certified letter stating that the refund voids any further warranty claims, just for future protection.

I sometimes run into that. I would give the money back. It is easier face to face. Actually, face to face there have been times when I refused to sell. Seems everyone has forgotten about body language. It was a hot topic in the 1980's. One can tell if a buyers thinks there are pulling one off on you. Make a casual reference to the use and really want to hide the value they appraised on what you have.

When I honestly price a car or a part at a low price due to condition some buyers think I am selling too low. When they find out it was not the bargain they thought they want me to cover their mistake. After 60 years you can see it coming. It is their problem and they will continue to beg for their mistakes. I have sold enough things so I am surely on the plus side. If I do sell I will refund as well. It is not going to run my wife short of groceries.

I have also purchased items that did not meet my expectations. I don't ask for my money back. Usually I sell it and make a few bucks.

Another thing about old car hobby sales, no matter how much the buyer likes it the item is still under the scrutiny of every friend who sees it into perpetuity. I'd bet that's what happened in your instance. Just for fun ask if any friends have looked at them.

All in all, for a hundred bucks, just give the money back. You know "who" you are dealing with.

Bernie

I would also suggest a partial refund of say $50.00 max. The fact only one holds air is a function of the inner tubes , not the tires. Did you throw in tubes as well ? Even if you did, how do you know  your buyer knows how to mount these sort of tires without damaging the tubes? Anyone who can use these tires should also be able to use a patch kit..

They were sold as roll around tires. A function they should be able to preform right up the point literally falling apart. In the good old days even split sidewalls were dealt with by a " boot "  cut from a completely thrashed tire and fitted from the inside. And that was on cars actually driven. 

Something used for roll around purposes can be practically at the point of outright failure and still do the job.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Dollies are great if you have a large, smooth concrete surface. I sometimes need to move things to areas that have either a blacktop or gravel surface. My driveway is all gravel ,the storage shed is blacktop. Very small proper workshop so periodic shuffling. 

My car work area is 200 feet from the front road so it's never going to be all concrete . Roll around wheels are a must at my place.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

How did you describe the tires in your ad? Did you make a bill of sale stating "as-is" use for rollers only? As a Canadian old car guy I get my fair share of CAC's (CheapA$$ Canuck's) wanting stuff for free or close to free.

As a goodwill gesture send him maybe $35.

I like the idea of plywood rollers. is 3/4" strong enough ? I have a set of 1500lb each dollies & under a 3200 lb car  they do not even roll easily on smooth concrete.

OTOH how do you handle offsets ?