Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I spent 6 weeks one summer using an identical 427/390 Vette as an every day driver.  It worked out amazing well and was a blast to drive.    I've had a 69 427/435 N14 (Factory side Exhaust) car on my list for years but I don't think that will ever happen.

It’s a very fun car to drive. Big block chevys just put a smile on my face when the secondaries are open and the side pipes are screaming.

I wish I would have made him an offer before I went through it mechanically. It was in sad shape. 

• Like 2

I had 2 neighbors when I was a kid that had identical 66 vettes. They were blue with a white top. There was a t intersection between them but other than that they were next door to each other. 

• Like 3

Today is probably about as nice day as you will ever see in New England. 67°, sunny skies, light breeze. We are still trying to sort our cord, so I headed out for about 20 minutes. Now runs and shifts perfectly, we’re just trying to get the brakes dialed in.

IMG_4491.jpeg

• Like 7

Last week in Massachusetts it was snowing in the morning, and took the 1917 White out for a spin in 33 degree weather. Started right up and ran fine.......

IMG_5507.png

• Like 13

Actually Eddy it was 11 days ago we got 5 inches of snow.   Super annoying.

I want to point out to anyone that has never driven one that a 810/812 Cord is a very speedy car.  Maybe I'm just used to my Stearns but the Cord absolutely flies.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Actually Eddy it was 11 days ago we got 5 inches of snow.   Super annoying.

I want to point out to anyone that has never driven one that a 810/812 Cord is a very speedy car.  Maybe I'm just used to my Stearns but the Cord absolutely flies.

You are correct. The Cord wants to go. When you get to 4th they want to run down the road 60 mph or more. The Cord is a pleasure to drive. Anybody who says a Cord is not an excellent road car has never driven a good one.

37cp69.jpg

37cp72.jpg

• Like 10

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

Today is probably about as nice day as you will ever see in New England. 67°, sunny skies, light breeze. We are still trying to sort our cord, so I headed out for about 20 minutes. Now runs and shifts perfectly, we’re just trying to get the brakes dialed in.

IMG_4491.jpeg

I drove a 37 Custom Beverly on my drivers permit to the DMV on my 16th bday. It was a Saturday and we got there too late. I had to wait 2 days to obtain my freedom. A cord is a never ending sorting process. Most bipolar car ever. Runs perfect, depending on the day.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tph479 said:

I drove a 37 Custom Beverly on my drivers permit to the DMV on my 16th bday. It was a Saturday and we got there too late. I had to wait 2 days to obtain my freedom. A cord is a never ending sorting process. Most bipolar car ever. Runs perfect, depending on the day.

It definitely has its idiosyncrasies. It’s one of those cars that you really have to learn and sorting is a long tedious process. But our car for about 50 years with tremendously reliable. My dad drove from Boston to Auburn Indiana twice in the late 60s. No problems ever. Of course, that came to an end a few years ago as soon as I was in charge of keeping it running. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Tph479 said:

By the way, what an awesome car to use for your permit test. I’m sure that was a miserable 48 hours waiting until Monday. I remember clearly getting my license on the exact day I was eligible. My 49 Plymouth was sitting in the driveway nose out idling, waiting for me.

• Like 3

I don’t know anyone who didn’t get their license the first day they could...... that has changed now. If you told kids today they could go get their license or the new iPhone, you’d be headed to the apple store.... man have I become an old curmudgeon.

my best friend even found some loophole where you can get your license before your 16th birthday if you were the breadwinner of the family.  his dad helped him through the process and wrote letters and got a judge to endorse it and he was maybe 15 years and nine months and walked out with his license. We thought that was the coolest move ever. His family had plenty of money.... no shortage of bread that needed to be brought home. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Mind your ankles on ingress/egress!  ;)

IMG_3981.jpeg.282005e81ec1b558f779f5d9ed

It’s funny, the one I was driving had the side pipes, and I never remember it being a problem. Maybe the heat shields actually work?

10 hours ago, Tph479 said:

You need a better mechanic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It’s funny, the one I was driving had the side pipes, and I never remember it being a problem. Maybe the heat shields actually work?

What did your girlfriend (wife?) think of them?  :P

25 more miles today. Cooler day than yesterday with partial sun.  Tomorrow I’m gonna try for the big trip.  Three minor issues.  I didn’t catch first gear correctly once. Which was my fault, and then I brought the clutch back out before fully gone into fourth gear and ended up in neutral. Which was also my fault. When I stopped and let it sit for about 30 minutes, it hot soaked, but I didn’t hold the pedal all the way to the floor initially and it wouldn’t start. So I let it sit another 15 minutes, then held my foot all the way down and it started right up.

For the first time in decades it starts on a few spins cold. Starts on one spin hot, but you need to be aware of the hot soak if you let it sit for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

IMG_4495.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I find it interesting that the 34 Buick with the crappy Marvel carb doesn’t hot soak, but the 36 Packard dumps fuel like the Exon Valdez………..? Benefits of updraft!

I find it interesting that you finally have the car sorted after three years…….shouldn't be too difficult, it’s just an old car. Great example why cars are so expensive today. Parts cost was almost zero…….labor time, almost unlimited. How many hours do you, as trained engineer from a top school; have in it?

Whats up with the white walls? Smoking dope again? 🤔

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

25 more miles today. Cooler day than yesterday with partial sun.  Tomorrow I’m gonna try for the big trip.  Three minor issues.  I didn’t catch first gear correctly once. Which was my fault, and then I brought the clutch back out before fully gone into fourth gear and ended up in neutral. Which was also my fault. When I stopped and let it sit for about 30 minutes, it hot soaked, but I didn’t hold the pedal all the way to the floor initially and it wouldn’t start. So I let it sit another 15 minutes, then held my foot all the way down and it started right up.

For the first time in decades it starts on a few spins cold. Starts on one spin hot, but you need to be aware of the hot soak if you let it sit for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

IMG_4495.jpeg

Coupe of things….

1) I am standing by my most bipolar car ever comment.

2) You have the hat trick of white walls, amber road lights and acd badge rocking. 

Its nice to see that’s it’s getting driven.

• Haha 2

AJ, I’m impressed. You now have three or four cars sorted! A record for you! Bravo!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tph479 said:

Car needs an exorcism.

Nope…….needs an enema. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

It definitely has its idiosyncrasies. It’s one of those cars that you really have to learn and sorting is a long tedious process. But our car for about 50 years with tremendously reliable. My dad drove from Boston to Auburn Indiana twice in the late 60s. No problems ever. Of course, that came to an end a few years ago as soon as I was in charge of keeping it running. 

You have never lived unless you had the light fuse blow out on a Cord on interstate 80 driving home from Auburn in the dark.   Nothing like having to hold a flashlight on the white line until we could make it to the rest stop.

I heard that golf is supposed to be a relaxing hobby….

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

AJ, I’m impressed. You now have three or four cars sorted! A record for you! Bravo!

Well, thank you Ed. It’s amazing what you can accomplish with an unlimited amount of time and money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tph479 said:

Coupe of things….

1) I am standing by my most bipolar car ever comment.

2) You have the hat trick of white walls, amber road lights and acd badge rocking. 

Its nice to see that’s it’s getting driven.

Agreed on the aesthetics. However, that was my dad and I’m not gonna mess with it. 25 years ago I bought him a set of the reproduction heavy duty steel wheels. Back then they were awfully expensive. I was thinking about putting a set of the bias look radials on it, but since these came factory with white walls, I’ll leave it alone.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

I find it interesting that the 34 Buick with the crappy Marvel carb doesn’t hot soak, but the 36 Packard dumps fuel like the Exon Valdez………..? Benefits of updraft!

I find it interesting that you finally have the car sorted after three years…….shouldn't be too difficult, it’s just an old car. Great example why cars are so expensive today. Parts cost was almost zero…….labor time, almost unlimited. How many hours do you, as trained engineer from a top school; have in it?

Whats up with the white walls? Smoking dope again? 🤔

Ed, you know I had like 200 hours in before I gave up and brought it to the shop. A man has to know his limitations.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

IMG_4495.jpeg

She looks great just as she is.....change nothing.  Someday, your kids may have the Stearns Knight, and at that time white walls on Classics may be all the rage......you want them to leave the blackwalls on and say "dad had it with blackwalls, its staying that way".

The look in the yard, spring and summer headed your way after winter, same look and vibe we've had here.  it puts a charge back into me.  Love those warm days after winter telling us that Summer is coming.  Great for taking these cars out.

I don't care how "bipolar, or confounding those Cords are, I'd like to have one.   Update us how that longer trip goes if you can.  

• Like 4

These Cords, when properly sorted are fantastic drivers............

I don't recommend them for a first time buyer!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, John Bloom said:

She looks great just as she is.....change nothing.  Someday, your kids may have the Stearns Knight, and at that time white walls on Classics may be all the rage......you want them to leave the blackwalls on and say "dad had it with blackwalls, its staying that way".

The look in the yard, spring and summer headed your way after winter, same look and vibe we've had here.  it puts a charge back into me.  Love those warm days after winter telling us that Summer is coming.  Great for taking these cars out.

I don't care how "bipolar, or confounding those Cords are, I'd like to have one.   Update us how that longer trip goes if you can.  

I didn't try to talk you out of the Cord that you were looking at. They are cool cars. 

3 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

If you feel that way, send yours over. I will give it a good home and get it working.

Car is mostly sorted now. Just a lot of hours. Comes down to good vacuum and voltage.

Back when the 810/812 was introduced, technology wise it must have been like a space shuttle compared to other cars.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

Car is mostly sorted now. Just a lot of hours. Comes down to good vacuum and voltage.

Back when the 810/812 was introduced, technology wise it must have been like a space shuttle compared to other cars.

My feeling now after spending many hours on the shifting system is that basically if everything is new, then you will be good to go. Especially a new harness minus the plug.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tph479 said:

It really was. It was Buck Rogers in an automobile.

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Drove the Buick over to help a friend with his one off Model J, not a country drive.......mostly city........

IMG_5616.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5617.jpeg

• Like 11