Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Everyone knows AJ has a very neat Reo. He never publishes photos of his cars………so here we go. This one is unusually large and visually challenging……….like his first girlfriend. 🤔

C4FB9D09-6BFD-43EB-9845-6F1287AD032E.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Does this car still exist or does anyone have photos of the entire car?

Close-up view of a 1927 Cadillac Series 314-A car at the 22nd Annual Automobile Salon in New York, New York. Stamped on back: "Photo by N. Lazarnick." Handwritten on back: "1927 Cadillac, Series 314-A ~ custom line, special 4-p. victoria sport phaeton by Fisher. Photographed by Nathan Lazarnick at the 22nd Annual Automobile Salon, 28 Nov'r - 4 Dec'r. 1926. Hotel Commodore, N.Y.C., Fisher stand. Top, its envelope, & the cover for the pigskin trunk mounted at rear, light-colored Burbank top & side hood panels, belt panels, polished aluminum."

view

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Different kind of toolbox ? Note the two lines down the side and a somewhat rounded top lid.

Anyone familiar with this brand of toolbox?

image.png.15ad316d177a5ed277da901dc6c1e43b.png

It looks very similar only taller to the cast aluminum one used on early Peerless.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:44 PM, Walt G said:

Here is a image from a multi page catalog issued by the Ace Company in England that made them for many cars. They were fitted to European and American cars ( mostly ones that made it to England) to cover over wire and wood wheels. Many were polished but some were also painted to match the body/fender color. The discs were fitted to the both sides of the wheel, inside and out.  The original sales catalog I have in my collection mentions specifically they were fitted to Buicks often due to the very active Buick sales agent in London .

ACEwheelDISCMinerva1929.jpg

Came across this incredible Phaeton Locomobile that may be of interest on this topic

view

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

Down under…….Buick & Indian.

93AC5C4B-DEE2-4B64-812F-5B24370B7B4F.png

The Buicks are most likely to have fitted with bodies made by Holden's. By 1925 they were supplying several hundred bodies a week, to a variety of makers but as the 1920s went on the percentage of their production supplied to GM increased and Holden's became part of GM in 1931.

8 hours ago, pre10 said:

It looks very similar only taller to the cast aluminum one used on early Peerless.

Battery box?

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The Buicks are most likely to have fitted with bodies made by Holden's. By 1925 they were supplying several hundred bodies a week, to a variety of makers but as the 1920s went on the percentage of their production supplied to GM increased and Holden's became part of GM in 1931.

All:
I Never have seen a photo of so many 1925-25 Standard Touring cars in one place. There are a few that do show up on the BCA roster. All appear to be 1925 export cars. (RH drive) Interesting from the left, #2 and #3 have sunshades. Possibly an export version of the elusive 25-25S Sport touring. #3 painted in brighter colors. Also, #3 may have headlight bar nickel plated. The Holden connection may be valid.

• Like 1

View of woman posing in 1921 National Sextet phaeton car. Handwritten on front: "New National Sextet phaeton." Typed on back: "The new National Sextet phaeton, with cast aluminum steps in place of running boards, appears to hug the ground in the manner characteristic of the finest European cars, yet standard road clearance is maintained. The unusually low effect has been secured through the exclusive method of body mounting followed by National, in which the body is suspended on brackets riveted below the upper edge of the chassis frame, dropping the body sides several inches closer to the ground. In the year that has followed the introduction of this method of body mounting, it has proved itself not only a source of beauty but of riding comfort as well. Squeaks and rattles are banished through the increased rigidity of the body support, the sills being laid on edge, instead of flat, and overlapping the chassis frame."

view

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I have always loved that car!    The coachbuilder is Erdmann and Rossi.  It currently resides in the Barre collection in Paris Maine.

Graham-Paige Model 837 cabriolet - 1930 - Digital Collections - Free Library

That is encouraging to see, it looks stunning all these years later. Thank you for the update and who the builder was. 

One car that looks good with or without whitewalls.

Personally this one looks better with the whitewalls now that I've seen the comparison, but then again I'm a sucker for black and white classic appearance of the era if done right, and this is definitely done right. Absolutely gorgeous!

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, Walt G said:

New York City had a very active Lincoln dealership in the 1930s - Theodore Luce.  All his activity was "midtown", which is the area around 59th street at the bottom edge of Central Park. "Automobile Row " was from the mid fifties ( 55th street/Broadway ) and most of the automobile repair and coach builders were on the west side on 11th Ave. ( that ran north and south) .

Rolls Royce had a three story showroom at 58th and 8th Avenue . They had a sale usually every September ( middle to the end of the month) and were open Saturday and Sunday , including evenings . RR also issued a sales folder trying to sell the "Used cars" they had. These included RR but also a lot of hi end luxury cars like Locomobile, Crane Simplex, H.C.S., Wills St. Claire, Pierce Arrow , Lancia , Panhard etc. I have that sales folder and it is quite a statement on what cars they took in on trade and wanted to resell - prices ranged from $875 to $10,900.  This was circa 1928.

OK so some of my friends are reading this and thinking , Walt has some weird stuff. Yes, indeed I do, and it is an on going pleasure to share it here with all of you.

Do you have any photos of the rolls Royce entrance? The building was the colonnade and then renamed General Motors building once the upward addition was complete. 

D517A70A-2DA7-46DE-B0FB-CFA63466BD0B.png

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.52ee4a121d85dd35291410cb74509254.png

This picture was taken in LA by the LA agency for Dupont.  They would often get starts (Jack Dempsey as an example) to sit in the car and act like they bought one.    For anyone interested in Dupont you should try to get a copy of Stan Smith's book on the subject.  It is out of print and made of unobtainium, but he is planning another addition.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Mfoster said:

Do you have any photos of the rolls Royce entrance?

I most likely have at least one view, this would be in the R-R Quarterly magazine issued by R-R of America to their customers in the 1920s ( it was the USA version of the R-R Bulletin issued by R-R in England)that I have a collection of  but currently I am swamped with work to complete research and articles/stories for several periodicals and car clubs. I will not have any time to look for anything  until I have completed and submitted the current projects. Glad to share but my archive is a private collection , not a public one so I can't and won't fill requests unless I have the time to do so after my own pursuits are completed.

• Like 1

Rolls Royce 20/25 cabriolet - town car ( rear roof section behind rear doors can be folded down. )

Pencil notes on the back of the photo note the car is a 1930 and owned by a Mr. Howard. No further

information as to location. Prints I have were take when the car was new or near new.

ROLLSR20-25towncar1.jpg

ROLLSroyce20-25towncar2.jpg

• Like 5

Yes, drum lamps in 1930 were out of date by about 2 years.  I do not think it is a Brewster body. smaller chassis so would be unusual if it was.  I only reported what was written in pencil on the back. It also notes Mr. Howard was a "former" owner so not the one who owned the car at the time it was photographed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1