Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Wonder what the significance was in regards to the license plate (M-1) on that last Haynes? 

Absolutely love the Roaster w/golf bag storage on any model. Not even a regular golfer but it adds a classy touch to any of them. 

image.jpeg.16623dd9c108adc4f858498d8e63e81a.jpeg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jorge Amado said:

Is that a distributor drive? Interesting engine.

According to an 1907 advertisement they were using the "Atwater-Kent spark generator". 

This is a Atwater-Kent type C which looks similar to the one shown in the photo. 

94209.jpg.1b1ad281b7311911d18ea2f8e37e979d.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

"Auto Show" sections, or editions of the local newspapers are always interesting:

I totally agree! and they list all the local dealership locations so you can look now to see if the building still stands. Also how it was in relationship location wise to the other car dealers . Great stuff Craig. A researchers delight!

Walt

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 1:16 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

Wonder what the significance was in regards to the license plate (M-1) on that last Haynes? 

Absolutely love the Roaster w/golf bag storage on any model. Not even a regular golfer but it adds a classy touch to any of them. 

image.jpeg.16623dd9c108adc4f858498d8e63e81a.jpeg

Interesting that the golf bag door is on the left. Normally on a left-hand drive car I would expect to see it on the right side.  I believe though that some custom makers put one on each side. I wonder if the interior of the trunk was eventually lined or was it left with the bare framing showing.

My Studebaker has its golf bag door on the right, likely because they didn't make a right-hand drive variant of the tail section, due to the very small number built.

classic_workshop_christchurch_vintage_3.jpg

• Like 3

This turned up on a "Curbside Classics" website feature, a postcard of the L.F. Jacod & Co. Chrysler-Plymouth Used Car Lot, Englewood, NJ, ca 1937.

That Packard isn’t just any production model, it’s a 1931 Packard Deluxe Eight 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich. It is an early 3-box sedan configuration with the passenger compartment forward of the rear axle plane and a coupe-style trunk integrated into the main body. It is the same body architecture as the Duesenberg J Arlington sedan by Rollston (The Twenty Grand). Three examples of the 1931 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan are still extant.

Added a more current image of a 1931 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich for reference.

L.F. Jacod Used Car  Lot - Englewood, NY ca 1937.png

'31 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added image for reference (see edit history)
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This turned up on a "Curbside Classics" website feature, a postcard of the L.F. Jacod & Co. Chrysler-Plymouth Used Car Lot, Englewood, NJ, ca 1937.

That Packard isn’t just any production model, it’s a 1931 Packard Deluxe Eight 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich. It is an early 3-box sedan configuration with the passenger compartment forward of the rear axle plane and a coupe-style trunk integrated into the main body. It is the same body architecture as the Duesenberg J Arlington sedan by Rollston (The Twenty Grand). Three examples of the 1931 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan are still extant.

Added a more current image of a 1931 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich for reference.

L.F. Jacod Used Car  Lot - Englewood, NY ca 1937.png

'31 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich.jpg

Could that be the nose of a Duesenberg at the far right of your 1937 photo? The other cars adjacent to the '31 Packard all look to be upmarket models.

37 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Could that be the nose of a Duesenberg at the far right of your 1937 photo? The other cars adjacent to the '31 Packard all look to be upmarket models.

The car partially visible on the far right is a 1933 Cadillac.  Next to the 1931 Packard is a 1933 Chrysler Imperial coupe, then a 1933 Cadillac or LaSalle convertible coupe.  The Packard convertible coupe with the light-color top in the second row looks to be a 1930 733 or 1931 833. 

L.F. Jacod Used Car  Lot - Englewood, NY ca 1937 -crop.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The car partially visible on the far right is a 1933 Cadillac.  Next to the 1931 Packard is a 1933 Chrysler Imperial coupe, then a 1933 Cadillac or LaSalle convertible coupe.  The Packard convertible coupe with the light-color top in the second row looks to be a 1930 733 or 1931 833. 

L.F. Jacod Used Car  Lot - Englewood, NY ca 1937 -crop.jpg

Nice work Steve.  You know I am a fan of that body.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Nice work Steve.  You know I am a fan of that body.

Thanks A.J.  Indeed, we both know a great body design when we see it.  This postcard image really grabbed me, absolutely the ultimate car discovery dream to find a wonderful, choice rare Packard such as this on an ordinary used car lot.  Hope we're looking at one of the survivors we still have to enjoy now.

Steve

• Like 1