Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Maine, 1925  - Loading Gravel for a Great Northern Paper Company road project. Note the chains on the hard rubber tires and the men shoveling. We certainly take for granted modern earth moving equipment! Looks like a Prest-O-Lite tank strapped to the fender?

955064093_LoadingGravel1925.jpg.196b7425d1c389f08aa28dc66997fec5.jpg

• Like 3

Hellman's Blue Ribbon mayonnaise had its start in the WWI era. Still famous and popular on store shelves, the owner and creator of that product was Richard Hellman who lived in Flushing, New York . Once successful in business he purchased a series 10 Franklin of 1923 and had a custom body designed and built for it. Here is the car shown when new in front of his mansion. Special headlamps and spotlight was fitted, as were disc wheels that were not the standard equipment for Franklins of that era. The car also has special fenders and no running boards with a cast step plate instead to aid entrance and exit.  A  body molding runs the length of the hood that was not a regular feature on Franklins and I believe the car was green with black fenders and lighter green wheels. Quite a spectacular car compared other Franklins of the era.

FranklinHELLMANS1923rds.jpg

• Like 11

On 3/27/2022 at 8:07 PM, Terry Harper said:

Maine, 1925  - Loading Gravel for a Great Northern Paper Company road project. Note the chains on the hard rubber tires and the men shoveling. We certainly take for granted modern earth moving equipment! Looks like a Prest-O-Lite tank strapped to the fender?

955064093_LoadingGravel1925.jpg.196b7425d1c389f08aa28dc66997fec5.jpg

Hey, I've got one of those. I think mine is a little later model though. I got mine back in 1951

R.jpg

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, hddennis said:

Hook, is that restored or did you just never play with it?

Howard Dennis

I played with all my earth moving toys in the house on the carpet. Never took them outside. My brother was 8 years older, so no damage from sibling rivalry.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hook said:

I played with all my earth moving toys in the house on the carpet. Never took them outside. My brother was 8 years older, so no damage from sibling rivalry.

Let me amend this a bit. The loader is something that's not as much fun as something with wheels. I have a large road grader and a clam shell ore truck. They did get outside and were used hard.....not by me however. By my grand children who are 27 & 28 now. Oh well! 

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)

This is a great photo of a Marmon with a cast aluminum body.  An article about Marmon cast aluminum bodies appeared in Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal, July 1, 1907, page 122.  A gist of the article says that in 1905 Nordyke & Marmon Company brought on the market a touring car body made entirely of aluminum castings.  Improvements and upgrade were made to the aluminum body into 1907.  Copies of the two photos in the article are attached.  One photo shows aluminum body castings before assembly and the second photo shows the assembled body.  The concluding short paragraph of the article is:  "One peculiarity of cast aluminum is that it takes and holds the filling and painting much the same as wood, and if anything the finish is harder and more durable than on wood.  Never has the painting on these cast aluminum bodies crazed, blistered or peeled off.  Moisture, heat and cold, have no injurious effects on these bodies, and they have the strength and solidity to withstand the severe service required of a motor car."

Marmon 016.jpg

07 Marmon cast aluminum body.JPG

07 Marmon cast aluminum body parts.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

This is a great photo of a Marmon with a cast aluminum body.  An article about Marmon cast aluminum bodies appeared in Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal, July 1, 1907, page 122.  A gist of the article says that in 1905 Nordyke & Marmon Company brought on the market a touring car body made entirely of aluminum castings.  Improvements and upgrade were made to the aluminum body into 1907.  Copies of the two photos in the article are attached.  One photo shows aluminum body castings before assembly and the second photo shows the assembled body.  The concluding short paragraph of the article is:  "One peculiarity of cast aluminum is that it takes and holds the filling and painting much the same as wood, and if anything the finish is harder and more durable than on wood.  Never has the painting on these cast aluminum bodies crazed, blistered or peeled off.  Moisture, heat and cold, have no injurious effects on these bodies, and they have the strength and solidity to withstand the severe service required of a motor car."

Marmon 016.jpg

07 Marmon cast aluminum body.JPG

07 Marmon cast aluminum body parts.JPG

The original source of that photo wasn't quoted, or the reason for the occasion. I guess the car is new as it had a hand painted plate, presumably while they were waiting for a new one to be delivered. This one says that a front plate was not a requirement until 1911.   Vehicle registration plates of California - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

Regarding the Marmon.  Few photos of early Marmon cars are in my database hence it is difficult to date the year of the auto.  However, three additional points about the car are that it is probably a 1906-07-or 08 year.  Second, regards the oil sidelamps.  The lamp on the left side of the car has a clear lens while the lamp on the right has a dark lens, possibly red.  ?  Third, photos available to me show that Marmon radiators were flat across the bottom while this Marmon as a rounded bottom radiator.  No other photos available to me show a Marmon rounded bottom radiator.

250231111_Marmon016.jpg.6066bb72912f5aa10c26cd0dbca01dfc.jpg

• Like 1

Regarding the Marmon photo above, the Marmon is a 1906/7 air cooled car.  It has no radiator.  These were typically a V4 configuration.   I believe water cooling arrived for Marmon with the Model 32 in 1908.  Additionally, I think the photo is later, because the car in the back shows features found more with 1910/11.  The style and type of the side and head lamps, the fender style both front and rear, and a fully brass windshield rather than wood/brass combo.   

• Thanks 1

From "The Northern" July-August 1921

Loco2.jpg.3985336419c4ab64443353e0d6852d50.jpg

My past few posts have been gleaned from "The Northern" This was a company magazine published on a (usually) monthly basis by the Great Northern Paper Company, Spruce Wood Department between April 1921 through October 1928. It provides a fantastic window into a long forgotten past and culture.

Recently the entire series has been scanned by University of Maine, Fogler Library, Special Collections and is available as open access. 

(Great Northern Paper Company, "The Northern, May, 1921" (1921). Maine History Documents. 145. https://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/mainehistory/145)

Cover.jpg.ab3c4d6a1d3e8e7d54c631df8619c9fc.jpg

• Like 1

Take this bus to Chittenango - that is a location in central NY not to far from where the car was made in Syracuse. It is a model H ( big 6 cylinder) Franklin and the 7 passenger touring cars all had that stripe on the back of the body as a feature it was not added after the fact. Car dates from the 1907-1910 era no "barrel hood" style Franklins built after 1910.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

Looking through my newly acquired family photos, I found what looks to me to be a 1922 Oldsmobile. Still seems funny to have a roadster in wilds of mostly rainy Western Washington.

1499719822_FamilyCar.jpg.63e3b463a98d581e7529ccf5b832ed2e.jpg

Off the top of my head, I think that is an Overland, and about a 1916.

History always needs to be considered in the context of its time! Open body cars were the norm from the beginning, and enclosed body styles did not reach fifty percent of sales until 1925 if I recall correctly. In many regions of the country, including the PNW, horses and carriages continued to be fairly common well into the 1920s. When you consider the earlier alternatives, an open roadster was a major step up with a more full body, side curtains, and higher speeds meaning you get to your destination and inside faster! People in those days KNEW how far the world had come in a couple decades, and truly appreciated what hey had available to them.

Home heating wasn't nearly as efficient, while air conditioning, and insulation, were still not common at all. Even in colder regions of the country, keeping a couple rooms in the home warmed up much above sixty degrees was considered very comfortable! Most people then wore warmer clothing all year around than people do today. They were used to dealing with the winter's cold.

• Like 2

Love that car, but also observe other things - fellow is wearing a boater ( straw hat) and a chain to hold his pocket watch.  Am I guessing the car is fairly new as well ( no dirt clinging to the wheels or undersides of the fenders.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1