Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

This photo best symbolizes a time when it all began for most of us...

Thanks Walt for having the foresight to initiate this thread. 

I can't even put into words the joy, teaching and memories that I've experienced along the way. 

This is my last post on this thread. I hope everyone has enjoyed it as much as I have...

image.png.957ce10d361349d7fd86eb040422141e.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A better look at a few.  Could this first image be of a Lozier being test driven by factory personnel on the streets of Plattsburgh, NY before the coachworks was mounted?

The second image: when you arrive in a Locomobile Model 48, people take note...

Third, the ladies arrive for afternoon social tea...

'00's unknown runabout - in winter.png

19-teens Locomobile - lady taking a ride.png

'10's electric & ladies.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Where is this these days?  ACD museum?

i.jpg

A.J.: 

Last time I visited in 2007 it was still there.  Gordon Buehrig referred to it in his autobiography Rolling Sculpture as "my personal Edsel".  Let's just say it wasn't his best work...

Steve

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.: 

Last time I visited in 2007 it was still there.  Gordon Buehrig referred to it in his autobiography Rolling Sculpture as "my personal Edsel".  Let's just say it wasn't his best work...

Steve

Yes, very unfortunate.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 8:42 AM, edinmass said:

That car belongs to a member here, and his mother is sitting in the rumble seat. She lives near me in Florida. I think the car got in the family just before or just after the war, Orin, please comment.  

I have it on good authority that the pictured car is about to be taken out for a ride.   Not to a lake, though.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

I have it on good authority that the pictured car is about to be taken out for a ride.   Not to a lake, though.

Drive it like you stole it!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Fairly sure that is a Paige automobile! Looks like a cabriolet or folding top convertible coupe. Rather fancy interior for a folding top car? Paige did have some really nice interiors.

This one turns up on facebook pages every few months. Apparently the car is a 1927 Paige - the most expensive version.

56 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

This one turns up on facebook pages every few months. Apparently the car is a 1927 Paige - the most expensive version.

Thanks nz, I don't do facebook. I am fairly sure I have seen that photo before. I have a 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan, but it is the smallest model that year. 1927 was kind of a messed up year for Paige due to the management's decision to sell out of the company. Paige had had a fine seventeen year run mostly under the guidance of Harry Jewett, when he decided it was time to retire. Harry Jewett had made his first fortune as a coal merchant, and went into automobiles as an investor. Not happy with the way Paige was being run, he took over the company and turned it into one of the more profitable smaller manufacturers. Thereby making another personal fortune! The entire management team had also made very good small fortunes, and when Harry J decided to retire, none of them wanted to take over and be responsible for possible future failures. (There were some things going on in the industry creating new difficulties for Paige and most smaller companies at that time!) So the decision was made to instead sell out and they all retired! The decision was made to sell out to the Graham Brothers who had cashed out of their relationship with the Dodge Brothers! They were looking for a company to take over and manufacture automobiles themselves.

That final year for Paige involved several model changes. Three different models of Paige could at different times of the year be called "the largest model". The 6-65, the 6-72 which was continued from the couple years before, and later in 1927 the newly introduced 8-85 which they had been planning to bring out during the year. The 6-45, my smaller model was a slightly upgraded version of the Jewett automobile from the year before.

I cannot help but notice that dash in the posted photo! I have one like it prominently showing the Paige emblem in its center sitting on a shelf in one of my storage buildings.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thanks nz, I don't do facebook. I am fairly sure I have seen that photo before. I have a 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan, but it is the smallest model that year. 1927 was kind of a messed up year for Paige due to the management's decision to sell out of the company. Paige had had a fine seventeen year run mostly under the guidance of Harry Jewett, when he decided it was time to retire. Harry Jewett had made his first fortune as a coal merchant, and went into automobiles as an investor. Not happy with the way Paige was being run, he took over the company and turned it into one of the more profitable smaller manufacturers. Thereby making another personal fortune! The entire management team had also made very good small fortunes, and when Harry J decided to retire, none of them wanted to take over and be responsible for possible future failures. (There were some things going on in the industry creating new difficulties for Paige and most smaller companies at that time!) So the decision was made to instead sell out and they all retired! The decision was made to sell out to the Graham Brothers who had cashed out of their relationship with the Dodge Brothers! They were looking for a company to take over and manufacture automobiles themselves.

That final year for Paige involved several model changes. Three different models of Paige could at different times of the year be called "the largest model". The 6-65, the 6-72 which was continued from the couple years before, and later in 1927 the newly introduced 8-85 which they had been planning to bring out during the year. The 6-45, my smaller model was a slightly upgraded version of the Jewett automobile from the year before.

I cannot help but notice that dash in the posted photo! I have one like it prominently showing the Paige emblem in its center sitting on a shelf in one of my storage buildings.

You commented earlier that it looked like a 'folding top' model with a rather fancy interior. Maybe like my Studebaker the top may look like it folds but actually does not?

25 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

You commented earlier that it looked like a 'folding top' model with a rather fancy interior. Maybe like my Studebaker the top may look like it folds but actually does not?

That may be a possibility? However, the bright plated metal brackets above and behind the door window look like folding top brackets to me.

I have always had a fondness for the sport coupe models of that era. My first real running car was a 1929 Reo Flying Cloud Master "semi-sport coupe" with the solid soft top down to the belt line and landau irons. One of my longtime best friends at that time had a 1931 model A Ford sport coupe with a fixed soft top very much like your Studebaker! I always enjoy seeing pictures of your Studebaker.

On 4/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

This is my last post on this thread

I hope not, !!!!

I can't believe we have accomplished 500 pages - heck 500 photographs would have been excellent! Thank You to all who have participated, my sincere appreciation for posting, looking, commenting, and just enjoying the view. We have all learned so much by observing what we see. Biggest thanks is to our host AACA, they provided the space to make it happen. I take a great deal of satisfaction in seeing how much all of you really enjoy the pre WWII era vehicles all the years, makes, series, body styles and locations that they were photographed in are just so great as well. Thanks for the memories!

Walt

• Like 9