Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

So many observant people here viewing all of these , wonderful comments , well beyond the vehicles themselves. All of this is research everyone, not just a view for amusement - learned comments here , makes you think and really look at the photo for all the details that then tell a story.  AACA has provided us all with an on going learning experience that we will not forget, how much information are we seeing each day we never saw or knew about before ? Ever think of how often you are looking here? It is all about history, world wide history.

• Like 2

This interesting photo says a lot about human living.  While the car is stationary for photo taking purpose, the posture of the driver suggests the "need for speed".  Early self-propelled conveyances originally were conceived and built to transport a person from point A to point B and it was not long before the time factor occurred; how fast can the conveyance travel.  And article titled "The Velocimeter" appeared in the October 1, 1907, page 186 issue of Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal.  The article says that the velocimeter shown ..."is the latest addition to the numerous speed indicators on the market"...  That statement gives one pause to reflect on automobile technology by 1907, and that then there were numerous such speed indicators on the market.  From other readings it was learned that a number of towns and cities operated speed traps in those days limiting speeds to 5 or 8 miles per hour.  It is unknown how a policeman gauged a violator's speed and how it could be proven in court.  The Connecticut Gauge Company, Norwich, Conn. produced the velocimeter shown here, it's price in 1907 was $25.00.  An on-line inflation calculator beginning with year 1913 was used (can't find one that goes back to 1907) computes that the 1907 / 1913  $25 would be $716.45 in year 2022.  The velocimeter certainly would have been a substantial accessory in 1907.

Dogcart electric 18 March 1899.jpg

Velocimeter.jpg

On 4/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, twin6 said:

Many thanks to Walt, the contributors and especially AACA for allowing and supporting this! Here's a FIAT with a Quinby body to start the week.  To me, the motorists are as interesting as the car. The closeup shows the Quinby plate and also shows that the pipe smoking passenger wore spats.  You just don't see many motorists today wearing spats and bearskin coats.

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

Fantastic image. I worked on this or sister car.8F07C5A6-3D39-4BFA-988E-E366F3057562.jpeg.a328591876b999586f51035bf9c8eaa4.jpeg3D18C271-7846-4367-AAC4-1B843D1009E9.jpeg.2aa136da5cf514e15d4dfd9ee7436431.jpeg

• Like 4

My guess is this was taken in France before the car went to India or Nepal. No Palm trees in the background.  I bet some of the license plate enthusiasts could take a reading of that plate.  Note the Cromos bumper, the Marchal headlamps, chrome wire wheels, and the siren! because people might not notice you on the road without those attention getting extras! 

J499duesenbergFernandezDarrin.jpg

Edited by HK500 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, HK500 said:

My guess is this was taken in France before the car went to India or Nepal. No Palm trees in the background.  I bet some of the license plate enthusiasts could take a reading of that plate.  Note the Cromos bumper, the Marchal headlamps, chrome wire wheels, and the siren! because people might not notice you on the road without those attention getting extras! 

J499duesenbergFernandezDarrin.jpg

I like all the accoutrements. But love the windshield height! It looks be Fernandez& Darrin  Carroserie to me.

• Like 1

The telltale they are two different cars is J-481 (Garbo's) has the vertical hood cut at the firewall with the cowl band and light.  J-499 shipped to India has a partial over-the-cowl hood with an angled hood opening in harmony with the door opening.  It's frame coach sill also curves up whereas the Garbo car has the elegant intersection at the forward door opening.

• Like 3

Thank you for the photo of the Duesenberg J dashboard.  The dashboard is visual candy, a form of art that developed after the early bare bones, few and utilitarian dashboard mounted iinstruments.  The 1925 Hispano-Suiza had a blinged out dashboard with an abundance of instruments.  The woodgrain dashes in the '32 Studebaker and '32 Hudson are in a different class of artistic beauty that is to be appreciated.  For the '32 Studebaker dash panel, perhaps a subdued gold tone metal panel would have looked better than the bare aluminum/steel panel; the color doesn't blend with the woodgrain color and orange knobs.

Duesenberg J dashboard.jpg

25 Hispano-Suiza H6B 15-21.jpg

32 Studebaker Dictator RScoupe 07-14.jpg

32 Hudson Super Eight 04.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HK500 said:

Note the Odometer - 58 Miles !  Unfortunately this J Torpedo Phaeton didn't survive.  Best Dashboard ever! 

J496DuesenbergDashboard.jpg

Actually it did......after it was parted out........it was brought back together again..........

• Like 1

It's amazing how many really cool pictures are in this thread.

Just a fun shot after getting these two out at the HCCA event last year.

Foreground: 1/2 scale 1906 REO Model A (built in 1905)

Background: Full-sized 1906 REO Model A

Backdrop: Shell Station at the Gilmore Car Museum

1302677151_MamaandBaby2.jpg.8a3e433e475adf09a199841ba5f472af.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

For the '32 Studebaker dash panel, perhaps a subdued gold tone metal panel would have looked better than the bare aluminum/steel panel; the color doesn't blend with the woodgrain color and orange knobs.

I doubt that the 1932 Studebaker dash in question closely resembles the original parts, perhaps a case of over-restoration.  The metal panel wasn't bare, it had a flat brownish paint on it with clear areas that made circles outside the gauge bezels.  This isn't an easy thing to re-do as original, hence just polished metal on "restored" cars.  I can't find any photos of a truly original dash, might have had painted wood grain, but likely not as strong a pattern as in the photo.

gauges_closeup1.jpg.b458117f4a41296f17243c5af26a86ba.jpg

Original 1932 Studebaker gauge panel.

• Like 1

Gary, thank you for the photo of an original '32 Studebaker dash panel.  It is really good to see things in their original state.  I can easily see and understand about the "over restored" aka "shortcut" aka "good enough" problem in restoring object.  Still and all, after seeing the original finish on the '32 dash panel it does seem that restoration to original condition could have been done.  Folks who restore antique clocks probably would not think it is much of a challenge.

42 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Big doings, Bellows Falls, VT.  Two of the three cars in sight are Stanleys.

Looks like 99% of the people are wearing hats, and not one backwards baseball cap among them.  I remember my father wearing a hat into the 1950s, mostly fedoras.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 9:00 PM, LCK81403 said:

Negatory, definitely not a Kissel.  Ron Hausman may be suffering heart palpations now.

271647677_1172393763167282_5443452050894189308_n.jpg

Interesting running board accessory.

7 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Are you referring to the one in the hat? Or to the foot rest, which is for the slide-out seat.

You are rigth, it can be the foot rest for the seat. I thought it was some kind of luggage holder to tie straps on…but I did not notice the external seat.

Correct, this American has not known about a '57 Chrysler Royal AP-1.  Interesting photo and thank you for sharing.  Do you have more photos of the car?  From seeing the single view it is difficult to speculate about the styling basis for the car.  Reviewing photos of U.S. Chrysler models dating from 1957 and earlier, the 57 Chrysler Royal AP-1 looks nothing like the U.S. Chrysler.  The front end appears to suggest styling by Holden of England.  The 1961-62 Holden EK model has somewhat of the frontal design of the '57 Chrysler Royal AP-1.

57 Chrysler Royal AP-1 New Zealand 1960s.jpg

61-62 Holden EK Special Station Sedan.jpg

Great photos of the Australian Chrysler Royal but we are starting to stray a bit beyond the era that this thread is located under - Pre WWII era vehicles.  If it would be possible perhaps someone could start a post WII era period photos of the era thread ? Not a complaint , just trying to continue to stay on focus of the era after 2 years of contributions.  I can well understand and appreciate the enthusiasm to want to contribute but please try to stay with what the intention was when it started. Thank you.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Great photo of Cheyenne, Wyoming - does the building in the distance right behind the car still exist?  or the one to the extreme right in the photo? It would be neat to see a current photo taken if they do.

Yes I love architecture of the same era of the cars especially if it is in masonry or cast iron panel construction. I taught architecture to a gifted and talented class of students ages 10 to 12 years old for years. We made 3 - D houses that were of substantial size.

• Like 1