Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

Walt, your comments about the toll and toll collector are interesting.  Regarding the 15 cent toll, perhaps there was enough traffic that supported the operation.  I do remember a time when my brother and I pooled 25 cents to put a little gas for his car so that we could get to work before payday.  I remember the attendant at the gas station: "How much you want?"  My brother: "Twenty-five cents please."  That's a time that became a memory.  😁  While today it costs a $72 American dollars nightmare to fill the tank on my truck.  😩

Charlestown.JPG.431ed7bfccc6b5293aa151db7b7693a6.JPG

$72 dollars to fill your truck tank! Wow! I wish I could fill my truck tank for 72 dollars. My truck's tank is 35 gallons.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hddennis said:

Plate is a 1919 California plate but the Maxwell is a 1920 so must be late 1919 and appears to be starting a measured miles per gallon test on a new car.

Howard Dennis

These stations were prefabbed tin and some still exist today. This one is in La Grange CA and on the National Register of Historic PlacesShell Gas Station - Wikipedia

The History of Northwest Refineries - Sightline Institutef3687ab6319078dfc089d8847e27ba7d.jpg

Edited by jukejunkie1015 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The caption with this one says Babe is sitting on a Jeep. That is unlikely. I think the car might be a circa 1927 Moon.

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and outdoors

The Babe looks a little out of his element doing this publicity stunt.

Is that Tom Mix standing to the left of the car? Not quite an exact resemblance to photos that come up in my search but it could be from what I have found.

Well, perhaps proper period attire of the era is what is needed to get the extra few points to score a first place/ bestest of the best at the next Grand experience classic concours . SO how about it folks?! when you trailer your car to the next event (as described just now) perhaps another trailer could bring along the special period clothes.

By the way those horns make quite an optional car mascot/hood ornament......................... 😉

11 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

image.png.e10e2446496f4b47fa7fb25a448ffc27.png

image.png.bf17723ce6e98f1872bfbead2cd1fded.png

image.png.70113335664aba4ce27bbfe36839bcc6.png

Can you imagine this today? They removed knock off wings and hood ornaments because of dangers to pedestrians. Just think of the guards this would have to have, then all the lawsuits from messed up hair do's because of the hurricane force winds. Oh and don't forget the fun and games if it was raining real hard. Just crazy thoughts!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Perhaps that is Will Rogers wearing the chaps.

276124064_10224899172099298_9119709192176932437_n.jpg

Went back to where I found the photo. The other guy is Lou Gehrig. He died of motor neuron disease in 1941. Several reference on the net. Maybe he was the first 'celebrity' to die from it?

• Like 1

The Selwyn River, a few miles south of Christchurch, New Zealand, in 1925. Any thought on what the car with the plate 62-412 might be? 

Btw those plates are the first year of the new 'national' series of plates. These were made in California but subsequent years' plates were made in NZ. The intention was for them to be available for issue from ! Jan but they were late arriving and so the registration year became mid-year to mid-year and remained that way until the system was computerised in the 1990s. new plates were issued every year until WW2, then every five years until the new system of permanent plates began in 1964.

May be an image of 1 person

May be a black-and-white image of car and outdoors

May be a Twitter screenshot

I wondered if the mystery car might have been a Scripps-Booth - like the one in this photo - but maybe not - 

20 c Scripps-Booth Hawke's Bay Wgtn reg.jpg

20 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Went back to where I found the photo. The other guy is Lou Gehrig. He died of motor neuron disease in 1941. Several reference on the net. Maybe he was the first 'celebrity' to die from it?

So famous they named the disease after him.  At least here in the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

This one may have been posted before. Caption says "5th Ave Easter '13". Anything identifiable? The car with plate 30191 looks to be an electric - maybe?

I think there are three Packards in view: the limousine at lower left with plate 24933, the one immediately above it going in the opposite direction, and the car right behind it.  Those two cars appear to have collapsible rear quarters.  Great photo!

21 hours ago, twin6 said:

landaulet.jpg

Absolutely love this photo. Look at the details you can see. worthy of study of style, function, paint application - where and what areas were painted and striped. the oval coach handles, the way the curtain to keep the rain out is rolled up and secured for the driver . And the three "florie dorie " sisters in the back  too. ( remember the Little Rascals/Our Gang movie where the kids sang "we want the florie dories" ? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Walt G said:

Absolutely love this photo. Look at the details you can see. worthy of study of style, function, paint application - where and what areas were painted and striped. the oval coach handles, the way the curtain to keep the rain out is rolled up and secured for the driver . And the three "florie dorie " sisters in the back  too. ( remember the Little Rascals/Our Gang movie where the kids sang "we want the florie dories" ? 

Having seen the identical car in person.......the photo is much more appealing than the actual car.......very vertically challenged, and rather awkward with the top up.

Vertically challenged , Yes I can very much agree, but given the year of manufacture it is to be expected and touring cars and roadsters of the same era with the top and side curtains up are not low profile either. Awkward, yes, again but one may  take into account that the horseless carriage was not to far removed from the carriage that used real horses so the styling was in a transition . In the 1915 and earlier era the perpendicular enclosed cars and formal cars that all resemble large china cabinets I find appealing - they set the mark of "what was then" .

• Like 1

Two things are interesting about this photo.  First, for the time period of the car the women's hats do not seem to be of the same era.  Especially so for the the woman looking at the camera as her hat is quite plain, spartan, and looking more like a hat style that a man would wear.  Perhaps the author of the photo chose to minimize the hats to emphasize the automobile qualities.  Second, the weather tightness of the three body seals could be problematic.  As the roof panel on top and the rear folded down panel is elevated there are three surfaces that need to seal against wind and rain.  There does not appear to be any welting or compressible weather seal at the joints.

Is the car a Packard or Locomobile?

landaulet.jpg.67c70d431d2d76cb20badbd4a82815d6.jpg

39 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Two things are interesting about this photo.  First, for the time period of the car the women's hats do not seem to be of the same era.  Especially so for the the woman looking at the camera as her hat is quite plain, spartan, and looking more like a hat style that a man would wear.  Perhaps the author of the photo chose to minimize the hats to emphasize the automobile qualities.  Second, the weather tightness of the three body seals could be problematic.  As the roof panel on top and the rear folded down panel is elevated there are three surfaces that need to seal against wind and rain.  There does not appear to be any welting or compressible weather seal at the joints.

Is the car a Packard or Locomobile?

landaulet.jpg.67c70d431d2d76cb20badbd4a82815d6.jpg

Packard - no doubt - hood shape and instruments on column.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Having seen the identical car in person.......the photo is much more appealing than the actual car.......very vertically challenged, and rather awkward with the top up.

By vertically challenged do you mean it is short or tall. To me, and in many online references, vertically challenged is a pseudo politically correct term for not very tall - ie short. Think Danny de Vito.

In a similar vein my later grandmother was born in the East End of London in 1899 and whenever she saw a very tall man would say - "he's tall for his height isn't he".

22 hours ago, Walt G said:

I wonder if this was taken on long island? There is a Port Jefferson on the north shore about 2/3 of the way out the length .

Yes, on a clear day I can stand on my doorstep and see it in the distance about 30 miles away, great photo. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Fredrick Lewis Packard with his estate in the background in Ridgefield, Ct. I'm guessing it is a twin six. His Grandfather founded what is CitiBank today. With a 15 car carriage house and three chauffeurs you can only guess what they had, in 1919 I know they had two Rolls Royce, and two Brewsters

275906434_10227545209721642_6906035171418935558_n.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The Fredrick Lewis Packard with his estate in the background in Ridgefield, Ct. I'm guessing it is a twin six. His Grandfather founded what is CitiBank today. With a 15 car carriage house and three chauffeurs you can only guess what they had, in 1919 I know they had two Rolls Royce, and two Brewsters

275906434_10227545209721642_6906035171418935558_n.jpg

Earlier than 1919 I think. 

• Like 1

Bob, Does that estate in Ridgefield still exist? or parts of it?  Perhaps parts of the house, carriage house or even the great stone wall?

Totally cool - and it is why this thread means so much to me - it is not just about the cars but everything else in the back ground that tells the story and transports us all to an era

when things were designed and built to last. 

Walt

• Like 2