Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Flint, Michigan, 1910 according to the caption provided. An interesting low-sided, compact looking, short body (4 pass?) touring there.

I can't see any sign of rear springs. Maybe it has a transverse setup - as Paige did at the time.

sag Norma G-K Flint Mi 1910.jpg

Is the rear car a Hupmobile 20 touring?

12 hours ago, twin6 said:

Mexico.jpg

To get back to this photo, the unique radiator shape, split running boards and toolbox set into the fender certainly look like the 1913 Oakland below. The cowl lights are also similar but the cowl itself is not. 

1877163970_Oakland1913RoddyHuff.jpg.f2ca1d566511727e19113e940ab15a14.jpg

1766043397_Oakland1913Huff.jpg.554d4d834af0d029e8acda230cd613fb.jpg

Don

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DLynskey said:

To get back to this photo, the unique radiator shape, split running boards and toolbox set into the fender certainly look like the 1913 Oakland below. The cowl lights are also similar but the cowl itself is not. 

1877163970_Oakland1913RoddyHuff.jpg.f2ca1d566511727e19113e940ab15a14.jpg

1766043397_Oakland1913Huff.jpg.554d4d834af0d029e8acda230cd613fb.jpg

Don

I resorted to my copy of 75 Years of Pontiac Oakland for answers but even then I couldn't come up with a definitive answer as to when there was a change of cowl style.

The white car in these photos appears to be the 'other' body style available for the big six - a 'close-coupled four passenger touring'. As typical of the era the four passenger body ends about level with the rear edge of the rear tyre and the seven passenger body extends further to the rear.

There was supposedly another larger model, on a 138" wheelbase with a 445 cid engine in 1913-14 (compared with the 130" wheelbase and 389 cid engine of the 6-60) but now I am confused and don't know whether we have examples of both models on this page or not.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

While on the subject of big Oaklands, I have had these two photos filed for some time but can't find any reference as to the exact model. The original source notes them as being 1913 I think they may be the 1914 6-60, Oakland's last really big car - 

1913 oakland 6 JohnSandersJr%2BJohnIII%2BLottie%2BStellaincar.jpg

1913 oakland 6 Sanders%20in%20car.jpg

2007-10-3_Oakland14CoverWeb-Large[1].jpg

2007-10-3_Oakland14-ChassisWeb-Large[1].jpg

I believe it's the Model 6-48, which was new for Oakland in 1914.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I think this one is an Oakland but I am not 100% sure - and I am not sure whether the car should have right or left hand drive. Both versions posted.

255595 (2).jpg

255595.jpg

Oakland Model 6-48 Speedster, 1914. I think LHD is correct - 75 Years of Pontiac & Oakland lists the new model as featuring LHD steering.

1914 6-48 Speedster.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Studebaker was my first thought on this one too, but the disc wheels didn't come in until the 1922 model year I think and this one looks earlier. 

This is a 1920 Model EG according to the caption with it.  At that time when wheel choice was woods or wires.

See the source image

A 1921 in Washington state.

11bh003.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkmac63 said:

Oakland Model 6-48 Speedster, 1914. I think LHD is correct - 75 Years of Pontiac & Oakland lists the new model as featuring LHD steering.

1914 6-48 Speedster.jpg

These 1914 - 15 Oakland's are another car that appears to be very rare today. A big 6 Cyl. car from a mid price maker. I expect a reasonable number were produced, but I virtually never hear of one existing in the post war , vintage car world. Even the 4's appear to be pretty rare today.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

A great 1911 photo from Iowa of an Everett car. Photo credit - The State Historical Society of Iowa.

How does that removeable outer rim system work?

11 Everett 4-30 State Hist Soc Iowa 0222.jpg

I think these are just like most 3 piece rims . A main rim,  that in this case attaches directly to the wheel felloe , a side ring and a lock ring . The majority of rims from around this time up to about the mid teens were similar in principal. But most are detachable as well unlike these ones. If you look in Dykes there is a illustration showing Firestone rims . I believe they call this type the  " Type A ".

31 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I think these are just like most 3 piece rims . A main rim,  that in this case attaches directly to the wheel felloe , a side ring and a lock ring . The majority of rims from around this time up to about the mid teens were similar in principal. But most are detachable as well unlike these ones. If you look in Dykes there is a illustration showing Firestone rims . I believe they call this type the  " Type A ".

I was puzzled because the out ring looks to be one-piece. I wonder how they are fitted and what secures them. 

The lock rings on the Kelsey-Hayes wires on my 1929 Studebaker are split, and effectively held in place by the tyre. A more common, obviously later, system I think

IMG_0551 resize (2).JPG

I stumbled over this one on Flickr while looking for something else.  A photo from the National Library of Ireland.

Supposedly a spectator driving a 'panhard' (sic) arriving for the 1903 Gordon-Bennett race in Ireland but I think it is actually Charles Glidden and his wife and companions in the 1902 Napier as part of their round the world trip.

Heading for Library Towers?

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

I was puzzled because the out ring looks to be one-piece. I wonder how they are fitted and what secures them. 

The lock rings on the Kelsey-Hayes wires on my 1929 Studebaker are split, and effectively held in place by the tyre. A more common, obviously later, system I think

IMG_0551 resize (2).JPG

On three piece rims the outer rim is one piece. The lock ring is split.  The type A in this illustration is detachable, but other than that is the same as the non - detachable rim in the photo;

258079.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I found this photo of an unidentified car on an Australian site.  Supposedly taken in the 1930s, which I guess is possible.

Obviously an Oakland but can someone be sure of the model year? My guess is late teens.

museums vic au Oakland.jpg

Fully rounded leading edge on the front fenders and (what look to be) 8-bolt front wheel hubs - I think it's 1920. The lower support frame for the windscreen posts is unusual; I wonder who the body-builder was?

15 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I stumbled over this one on Flickr while looking for something else.  A photo from the National Library of Ireland.

Supposedly a spectator driving a 'panhard' (sic) arriving for the 1903 Gordon-Bennett race in Ireland but I think it is actually Charles Glidden and his wife and companions in the 1902 Napier as part of their round the world trip.

Sure looks like him.  Here he is in the Napier, leaving Minneapolis.

Glidden Napier leaving Mpls.jpg

For all of you Model A Ford types who have the thought that you have seen any and every Model A photo taken during the era when hey were new ,here is one of your favorite make and model , I will let you give us some feedback as to year and most important location.

FORDAfranceoct1930.jpg

“Great” in using the description of a Pierce Arrow was dropped early on..........because it was redundant. True story.........Glidden Tour magazine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

For all of you Model A Ford types who have the thought that you have seen any and every Model A photo taken during the era when hey were new ,here is one of your favorite make and model , I will let you give us some feedback as to year and most important location.

FORDAfranceoct1930.jpg

• Like 1