1931 LaSalle Convertible Coupe

Great little car. Hope it gets the proper restortation it deserves.

At $35K I think it's safe from the hot rodders.

And I cannot agree with the seller's assessment that it's "the kind of car Clark Gable would have driven".

....maybe Frank McHugh, but not Clark Gable.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

Buyer beware, its a coupe that's had its top removed.  The Fisher convertible coupe had a separate, slanted, cast windshield frame and fully half-door construction. There would also be a lower mounting for the functional exterior folding landau irons visible by the top well.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Buyer beware, its a coupe that's had its top removed.  The Fisher convertible coupe had a separate, slanted, cast windshield frame and fully half-door construction. There would also be a lower mounting for the functional exterior folding landau irons visible by the top well.

Ugh!

Good eye, I would not have spotted that.

That's too bad. Would this car be better served by having the fixed roof reinstalled? And, how likely is the chance of that being done properly?

I thought it looked familiar- those same pictures appeared on barnfinds.com a while ago - I posted the link. Isn't this the same car that RICHELIEUMOTORCAR POSTED on here for sale a few yrs ago?

https://barnfinds.com/long-damp-nap-1931-cadillac-lasalle-sport-coupe/

Also, is the 3rd hinge thing legit for the conv. coupes? The 31 roadster has a slender windscreen with a nice tilt like on the 1931 buick. The convertible coupe has that awkward looking perpendicular windshield and they all seem to have that upper hinge on the frame. If you google image it -they all have it

lasalle.jpg

One way to settle this for sure is to read the data plate on the firewall.  A 2 dr convertible coupe 2/4 passenger carries a Fisher Style No. 31668, the 2dr coupe 2/4 passenger is 31658.   By the looks of the sagging door and wide hood/cowl gap, there is some serious woodwork needed.  If the top irons and hardware are missing, that's a major problem to find.  Pricing? Wildly optimistic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JACK M said:

Is it worth anywhere near the asking price?

There are many times I think to myself that whoever is selling “that” (whatever it is) should be selling whatever he was smoking at the time he priced it instead of whatever it was...

This is one of those thoughts times five!

• Like 1

I agree with MD Murray. I looked up images on Yahoo, and they all have the 3rd hinge. Also, in the original ad  from Richelieumotorcars(won’t swear to it), they said they have the top irons. I want to make sure you guys know, I have no connection to the seller,  know nothing about him, or his background, and am not receiving a kickback. If you do have any interest in the car, I can assure you that he is willing to seriously negotiate. I was thinking of checking it out, because the car is close to me, but after looking at the pics, decided that it is too much of a project for me, with the obvious woodwork, rust etc. It is, however, a really great car if you have the wherewithal to restore it. just my 2cents

I just looked at completed listings for LaSalle on eBad. A 1930 touring car, mostly restored and not ugly, was bid up to only about this car's asking price on a few different times listed. A MUCH more desirable car, in tremendously better condition? What DOES that make this car worth? (A purely rhetorical question, I KNOW the answer!)

• 2 weeks later...

This area has been listed on Craigslist for months in both CA and AZ. For some reason, he doesn’t give any contact info. I’m thinking something is “funny” about this, if I were trying to sell a car, I’d put a phone number or email address in the listing. But, each to his own!