65 GS at McCormick Palm Springs

JanZverina

I attended the McCormick Auction in Palm Springs CA this weekend, where a '65 GS was hammered sold at $41,500, apparently with no reserve. I would say the car was a Condition #3 at best. The engine compartment left a lot to be desired, starting with the engine block color and various missing vacuum lines - feel free to comment. Newer exterior paint but lots of amateur-level touch-ups and an aftermarket wood steering wheel. Some interesting reading on the signage next to the car.

65 GS McCormick 3 02-2020.JPG

65 GS McCormick 02-2020.JPG

65 GS Mcormick1 02-2020.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Requesting one 3rd-grade-level grammar check on that show board, STAT!

"...all original accept the paint..."

Hello, Matt—thanks for visiting our little part of the forum.

🙂

Many things about that board …

The odd thing was that the actual sign was one of those fabric sail panels that retract into the base, i.e. something seen at more professional trade shows. Pretty good graphics, etc. But yes, he didn't have the text spell-checked (at the very least), and as mentioned, some of those numbers don't appear to be grounded in verified research if available. Maybe the buyer will contact ROA at some point and ask for help in bringing this car up a notch or two. Or maybe he's already looking to flip it. At any rate, it will be a reality check for sure!

I interpret this show sign as follows:

"A 1965 Buick Riviera GS (NOT THIS ONE) sells for $121,000 in Scottsdale, doubling pre-auction estimates..."

I believe this owner is trying to suggest a value correlation between HIS Riviera and the one that sold at Scottsdale in 2016, as evidenced by the next sentence on the board:

"It is estimated that this car will be worth $125,000 to $175,000 in the next 5-15 years..."

The car shown on the board and at this show is most likely is NOT the 65 GS sold in 2016 for $121K.

Definitely not the one that sold at Goodings three years ago! I tried to bid on that car but never got my paddle up in the air since the two guys in front of me never took them down until it sold at $111K + 10% buyers premium. Interestingly ,Same  car sold last year at Barrett's for $65 K . I think I know who bought this car. ( dealer ) but will not say anything until I know for sure . 

KReed

ROA 14549 

3 hours ago, kreed said:

Definitely not the one that sold at Goodings three years ago! I tried to bid on that car but never got my paddle up in the air since the two guys in front of me never took them down until it sold at $111K + 10% buyers premium. Interestingly ,Same  car sold last year at Barrett's for $65 K . I think I know who bought this car. ( dealer ) but will not say anything until I know for sure . 

KReed

ROA 14549 

What goes up must come down!😩

According to Schmitt's listing, $11K has been spent on the car since 2016.  You would have thought that for a few hundred bucks more, they could have finished the trunk compartment.  It probably would help move the sale along as the car would look more finished.  I guess on the upside, if it is rust free, the buyer can see what they are getting and there will be no hidden rust issues to discover down the road.  

I am familiar with this car as I discovered it locally here and before it ended up in CA and inspected it for a potential buyer, both before and after the recent investments.  If anyone reading this is a SERIOUS buyer I`d be happy to relay what I know. Send a PM

Tom Mooney

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was offered the car last week before they listed it  and passed for several reasons too numerous to list, and glad I did after see Tom's post . I really don't need any more Riviera 's according to my wife ! I actually have a bought a couple of cars from them over the years and have been satisfied to this point . Suggested they change the engine color, compressor bracket and compressor  and steering wheel . Can't tell If they did the engine color by the photos but I obviously none of the other things . I suspect if someone came in at. $50-52 K they might buy it - just not my cup of tea . Thanks Jan for getting the info out originally . 

KReed

ROA 14549 

4 hours ago, JanZverina said:

Wow. The two images of the engine bay seem to indicate they spent little time on anything there other than darkening the photos to make the engine color look more acceptable. All for hoping for an $18,400 flip minus transpo expenses?

54 minutes ago, kreed said:

I was offered the car last week before they listed it  and passed for several reasons too numerous to list, and glad I did after see Tom's post . I really don't need any more Riviera 's according to my wife ! I actually have a bought a couple of cars from them over the years and have been satisfied to this point . Suggested they change the engine color, compressor bracket and compressor  and steering wheel . Can't tell If they did the engine color by the photos but I obviously none of the other things . I suspect if someone came in at. $50-52 K they might buy it - just not my cup of tea . Thanks Jan for getting the info out originally . 

KReed

ROA 14549 

Ken...and any others who may be SERIOUSLY interested in this car,

My response was not derogatory or negative regarding this car....I simply offered that I inspected the car at various points in time and may have some insight to add which may be helpful. I am NOT discouraging anyone from considering this car for purchase nor am I promoting it`s virtues. I simply have some knowledge that I would share if helpful to a serious buyer or member of the ROA.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1