Gale Automobile

Don't think the picture is a Gale.  Here is an ad from 1905 for the Gale - it's a different car.  Could the photo be an 05 Ford C?

Terry

Gale automobile c 1905.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Don't think the picture is a Gale.  Here is an ad from 1905 for the Gale - it's a different car.  Could the photo be an 05 Ford C?

Terry

Gale automobile c 1905.jpg

The Gale is listed in the Standard Catalog as being produced '05-'07.  Georgiano says '04-'10.  in any event there is sufficient time spread for minor changes to have occurred.  I believe it probably is a Gale.

23 hours ago, Tinindian said:

The question is have any Gale's survived?

Looking at the fenders and the passenger side latch for the top opening in the hood they are quite similar, all be it the hood sides and rad are different but is their a Gale still blowing exhaust smoke out there?  

Fenders are typical of many cars of that era and as Bob mentioned, Ford crank holes in the side were positioned differently than for Cadillac.  Very little outward difference between Ford and Cad in the first couple of seasons except for that.  It's the combination of hood/rad that makes me question the identity of the old car in the original photo supplied.   Perhaps there is some original Gale literature out there that will show one and confirm a positive Id on the photo.  Wonder if the AACA Library has something in their files?

Terry

On 1/26/2020 at 11:27 AM, 1937hd45 said:

I think the crank hole location will determine if the OP photo is Cadillac or Ford. Bob 

a5eb4746ce76016cf9138daa0d1bb8d4.jpg

1905_Ford_Model_C_Doctors_Car.jpg

Bob, I'm skeptical that it's either Ford or Cadillac. The crank holes of both of them don't seem to be in the same place as what I see on the Gale.  The Cadillac's front fenders slope inward while the Gale's are horizontal viewed from the front.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

Bob, I'm skeptical that it's either Ford or Cadillac. The crank holes of both of them don't seem to be in the same place as what I see on the Gale.  The Cadillac's front fenders slope inward while the Gale's are horizontal viewed from the front.

Who knows, maybe it is a Gale photo after all. Just noticed the wheel lugs match the Ford illustration. Bob 

On 1/27/2020 at 10:37 AM, Terry Bond said:

Fenders are typical of many cars of that era and as Bob mentioned, Ford crank holes in the side were positioned differently than for Cadillac.  Very little outward difference between Ford and Cad in the first couple of seasons except for that.  It's the combination of hood/rad that makes me question the identity of the old car in the original photo supplied.   Perhaps there is some original Gale literature out there that will show one and confirm a positive Id on the photo.  Wonder if the AACA Library has something in their files?

Terry

This fuzzy picture is of a 1907 Gale from the Standard Catalog of American Cars.  It shows the car having louvers on the hood side, further indicating that the mystery car may be a Gale.

MVC-006F.JPG

There was an old photograph posted containing a  "Mystery car" on the MTFCA board a  while ago- after some spirited back and forth the general consensus was that it was a Gale. That discussion turned up at least one Gale (and possibly two more) still in existence, with pictures!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/869692.html?1528068680

871012.jpg

Edited by dustycrusty
add photographic examples (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is a undetermined (1905?)year Gale in a small town in Eastern Washington. A couple of years ago my nephew rebuilt the motor and got it running for relatives of the original owner. It still needs a radiator and lots of small details to make it drivable. Quite an interesting car that no ne even knew it existed. Once again the barns and old buildings are still hiding interesting old cars.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

• Like 1

Yes, the OP supplied photo is starting to look more like a "Gale" and the Model T Forum discussion is most enlightening.  Still, I've enlarged that photo to 800% in MS Word and that logo on the side looks more like Oldsmobile the larger it gets.  Unfortunately, it gets pretty blurry in the process. 
That said, it was not uncommon to have car owners actually put their own monograms on cars.  Some of my early catalogs show decals that could be printed and purchased just for that purpose.  So, what looks like the Oldsmobile, could actually be either a Gale logo, or the owner's personal monogram.

I'll see if somewhere I can uncover a Gale logo for comparison.

Terry

Terry, you asked if I knew about a Gale logo or emblem. I have never seen a Gale emblem and I doubt there was one, apart from the possibility of a decal on the side. I also can't help with a logo, maybe someone has a brochure that shows one. I attach a photo of a brass script for a Gale. Mike

Gale P1140801.JPG

• 2 years later...

I am one the grandsons of DW Cook.  My mom told me about her dad and how close he came to mass producing the Gale automobile.  He wanted to, but his partners did not go for it!  Henry Ford copied some of his ideas...and the rest is history!

I only wish that I would have had one of the Gale mobiles passed down to me!  Oh well...

Thomas R Swanson (Cook)

• Like 3

Don Krull from Galesburg restored a Gale several years ago.  The restoration was beautiful

2029900341_DonKrullGale.jpg.d260c3288f1ceefcd9bf7466a81eec70.jpg

Don passed in the fall of 2021 and his sons did not have any interest in his auto collection.  The cars were consigned to the Sullivan Auctioneers Collector Car Auction in Hamilton, Il. that was held on Feb 7, 2022.  I was interested in the Gale and went to the auction site to look it over.  The workmanship on the restoration was excellent, and the car had some supporting literature with it.  The only flaw that I really noticed was that the original Gale body was supposed to be able to be tipped up for easier motor service.  I could not see how the body on the current restoration could be tipped for service.  I put in an early bid on the car, but bidding got crazy before the final sale.  The car sold for slightly less than $50k.  It is currently in the hands of an antique car dealer in Davenport, Iowa.

Ron Dupree

Edited by RonDup (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

I noticed, from an internet ad, that there is currently a

1904 Gale Model B for sale at a dealer in Davenport, Iowa:

Klemme Klassic Kars, phone (563) 334-1536.

https://www.carsforsale.com/used-car-dealer/klemme-klassic-kars-davenport-ia-d169886/inventory/details/92046609

Their asking price is $69,900.  For the forum record, here

is a picture from their listing:

1904 Gale Model B runabout.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

On 1/17/2023 at 2:28 PM, RonDup said:

Don Krull from Galesburg restored a Gale several years ago....

Don passed in the fall of 2021 and his sons did not have any interest in his auto collection.  The cars were consigned to the Sullivan Auctioneers Collector Car Auction in Hamilton, Il. that was held on Feb 7, 2022....

The car sold for slightly less than $50k. 

I wonder what happened in the year between 2022 and 2023.

Did the Gale not find an appreciative home with a family to enjoy it?

I wonder whether Mr. Krull (estate) made any money on the car

from years of ownership and enjoyment.

It sounds like the dealer is trying to make $20,000:

18 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Their asking price is $69,900. 

The Gale was one of several cars that the dealer has purchased strictly for resale.  Another car they have is a Sears that I was interested in.  I believe it sold at the auction for about $22k and is listed on the dealers web site for $34k.  I doubt that Don's estate made any money on the car.  I didn't see it when he first got the Gale, but I know that he virtually remanufactured the car and did not drive it a lot after he was done. 

• Thanks 1