Images of the era

Walt G

Jeff, thank you! what an absolutely great picture!!! Not only a really handsome car ( note the wonderful brackets at the windshield that hold the sun visor)  but look at the expression on the kids faces and how neat they look in their coats and hats! You do not see kids dressed well like that any longer - sneakers, hoodies, etc. The lady next to the car has a " oh hurry up and take the &$#%@ picture. "  look to her . I am sure the girl on the rear fender is explaining how high up she is off the ground and how it would not be a big deal to be able to jump down from there and land perfectly safe on the ground on her feet.

Walt.

Walt, my Grandfather took the picture. Grandmother Lorena on the right, Aunt Geneva in the middle, and my Dad Bernard on the left. Funny, it's my Dad gesturing with his hands. He has a leather aviator helmet on and he's somewhere between 4 and 6 -- making it hard for you to tell who the people are. The helmet is not only good for when he rides in his Dad's Travel Air biplane, but the family went on a road trip from central Kansas to Mesa Verde, Colorado about a year earlier....so he would have needed it in the rumble seat. Unknown people, before your time, poorly captioned piccie & you still got 2 out of 3 right on the gender. Glad you liked the photo!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Jeff

thanks for further information on the photo! I do know well what a Travel Air plane is too. Way cool. Decades ago I was active in the Long Island Early Fliers Club and at that time when I was in my 20s there were members of the club that were active in aviation in the 1925-65 era. Many flew in bi planes or mono planes. One of them would have an annual aviation meet at his farm out on the east end of long island. I drove my 1931 Franklin out to that and most all in attendance went crazy because of its air cooled engine, like the planes had, most hadn't seen a Franklin since they were new. So I showed them the car , took many for a ride ( I was about 75 miles from home) and the fellow who owned the farm was so pleased I drove the car out he said - your turn for a ride. So into his open cockpit biplane we went ( I was younger and much braver - perhaps stupid?) then, and had a ride in that. Most interesting as he cautioned when I climbed in his plane to make sure the seat belt was fastened. He did a "loop the loop" as he called it and for a few moments during the complete circle when we were upside down it made me realize how it was to be a pilot or passenger in the "barn storming" days of aviation. I was glad to get back down on the ground. I still had white knuckles on the hour plus ride home in my Franklin from the ride in that bi plane.  Walt

23 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

What became of the Travel Air biplane?

Uhh....I'll see if I can conjure up a picture of it. It's an early Travel Air, the company started by Stearman, Cessna and Beech. I don't know the engine, but there are dual exhausts. That and the nose suggest a Travel Air 2000 with a Curtis OX-5 V-8. I remember him saying it flew like a dream. Perfectly balanced, you could bank right by leaning right and bank left by leaning left. He traded it for a nearly new car -- the one with his family around it a few posts back. There's a forum member who remembers my grandfather and the car who's from Wichita, "allcars", and who's familiar with the story. The day after the trade was made, the new owner seems to have crashed it. Pilot survived. Do not know if it flew again or not.

Capture.JPG.7baa8b651e350ccc12c87f18ee51c514.JPG

Prop turning _ _ _ Glenn D. in the middle _ _ _ buyer of plane on the right.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

The C-1139 registration on the tail of the plane is a little confusing.  No matter though, if the plane was lost in a crash "way back", there would certainly not be a record of its registration in the FAA database today.  Cool plane nonetheless.

Another photo from Bob and Betty's photo album.  My mother-in-law was very close to this couple and was given their personal photo albums, now in my possession and from which I am copying these photos.  Bob and Betty had no heirs, seemed to have lived a life full of joy and wanted my mother-in-law to have these albums.  I have thoroughly enjoyed reviewing them.

I believe Bob and Betty originally hailed from Central NY but spent winters in St Petersburg, FL.  The photo below is of the old pier in St. Petersburg, Florida, constructed in 1926 for just under a million dollars; hence called "the million dollar pier".  The pier was reportedly prominent through the 50's but was  demolished in 1967 as it fell into disrepair.  The photo below appears to have been taken when the pier was relatively new, based on the ages of the cars parked in the foreground.  Does anybody have suggestions for the vehicles' identity?

IMG_1087.thumb.JPG.7eb36ce2409b2a4963761efc69131fa7.JPG

283171878_milliondollarpier.thumb.jpg.6a3605706e1a5f6cc030a9005ee7d2f1.jpg

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The Roamer roadster image shows a little more details with a bit of manipulation.  The windshield appeared to have no top frame, just finished glass edge.   Four bolt wheels,  cowl parking lights and a deck lid cover with a handle.  Wonder if the top detached and stored in it?   The body design looks similar to the prior roadster in that the body line raises from the radiator to the windshield, the tapers toward the rear to a blunt beaver-tail.  The cycle-style fenders and step-plates complete the sporty image.   White-wall tires too.

Roamer roadster - cropped.jpg

• Like 1

Glad to do what I can, these are interesting images.  Many times the over-exposure when reduced reveals subtle details that can be brought up.  Gray-scale helps too.  I use the free shareware Irfanview which has half a dozen intuitive functions that work nicely on old images.  

Is that a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost or Phantom I the child is taking her teddy bear for a ride in?    Certainly had good taste in motorcars at a young age, didn't she?...  

this is the Garden City Garage on 7th street in Garden City , NY on long island. It was located on the NE corner of  7th Street and Franklin Avenue. Photo dates from 1924. The garage was replaced by a self serve gas station about 45 years ago. I believe the cars that  you see here were not just in the garage for service work, but the garage was a place to store your car - the famous Garden City Hotel was a 5 minute walk west of the garage ( it was the hotel Charles Lindbergh stayed in the night before he flew to Paris in 1927)

Garden City Garage1924001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo and clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 2

First car in the Garden City Garage line-up is a 1921-'23 Cadillac Type 59 or 61 with Westinghouse shock absorbers.  This based on the bell-shaped headlights rather than the 1924 drum style.

The second is also a Cadillac, a 1924, with body by Uppercu Cadillac's custom body department designer J.R. McLauchlen and built by Hollander and Merrill of Amesbury, Mass.  Uppercu Cadillac offered those 'upscale' custom radiator shells with the Palladian squared upper surfaces (mild Rolls-Royce imitations) but with a broad header and arched top opening.  One of their cars is identified on page 97 of 80 Years of Cadillac - LaSalle by Walter m.P. McCall published by Crestline.     Apparently, Uppercu felt that Cadillacs didn't present enough of a prestigious, upscale look so had this custom radiator shell and hood to dress up the line.  Everything old is new again, shade of the fake radiator grilles popular in the 1970's and !980's disguising cars to look upscale.

Down the line is a horse-collar Franklin probably Series 9-B

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Actor Robert Montgomery ( father of Elizabeth Montgomery of "Bewitched" television show ) was a close friend of my Uncle while growing up here in Beacon, NY. Any idea of the make / model / year of the vehicle that he is standing next to ?

Thanks 

Steve

image.png.44c8048d6b3b7e5e5133003fb21da118.png

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Actor Robert Montgomery ( father of Elizabeth Montgomery of "Bewitched" television show ) was a close friend of my Uncle while growing up here in Beacon, NY. Any idea of the make / model / year of the vehicle that he is standing next to ?

Thanks 

Steve

image.png.44c8048d6b3b7e5e5133003fb21da118.png

• Like 1

Yet another , there are just so many images that have not really been viewed by collectors since they were published or printed. Many are in periodicals with coated stock paper that let you clearly see what you are looking at rather then a "rag" type paper used more for things like newspapers.  Omnia magazine from France had amazing photos in them of cars at annual concours, many were American car chassis with European coachwork. The show issues of L'Illustration a French magazine are a wealth of eye candy. Omnia was in existence from 1920 to 1936 , was a monthly magazine, and with help from a friend who was a English motor book dealer I was able to acquire a full run of that with the exception of about 6 issue, it took me 30+ years. 

ArtDeco 1936DelageD De Villars005.jpg

ArtDeco 1936MercedesSaoutchik006.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Walt, Thanks for posting those, so many images of rare, one-off or small series customs were published decades ago but haven't been seen since unless one runs across them by chance.   Coated paper stock produced wonderful, clear, sharp reproduction too. 

European custom coach builders seem to have adopted the convertible-style, thin chrome window frames and half-door construction for closed body styles much earlier than here in the U.S.   The Mercedes-Benz looks to be a hardtop or nearly so.   That marvelous Delage town car by deVillars has that c-pillar-less, overlapping door and quarter window configuration.   It was worth the wind noise it caused.    The only two details that would make that design even more magnificent would be dual rear mounted spares rather than side-mounts and the swoopy character-line resolving in a graceful C-shaped sweep panel.   

• Like 1

I was wondering if anyone would identify the coach builders for the two cars I posted. Totally correct guys!!!!, Wonderful 👍. I don't want to make this to easy and mention it all in the initial post.

I am not surprised who got the correct identification either!.

Yes, the coated stock paper of periodicals ( and sales literature) give excellent reproduction when scanned. The higher the dpi ( or whatever the current name for fine screen images is) lets us detail obsessed guys have a great day every time we view something. It was my stint /time working as librarian for Austin Clark in his home library in the early 1970s that let me know what periodicals existed with content I was ( and still very much am) into - ie coach builders. If one can find copies of the magazines that have not gotten damp to let the pages adhere to each other it is just a gold mine of information. Many people in the USA are not aware of the annual auto show coverage magazines ( usually the November issue) of L'Illustration , or the monthly magazines like Omnia and La Carrossiere . Just fantastic stuff - many times showing car chassis that were made in the USA bodied with European coachwork at concours events. I am very very fortunate that decades ago I started to fill in full runs of these European based magazines and had a friend in England who was a major auto book dealer/seller that would scope out places to find material to not only sell but also to fill in my collection. All this well before there was an internet or e bay. Best part for me is and always has been to share what I have with people.

• Like 2