Can anyone identify this light?

Crin

Frank....your correct......had a senior moment, E&J is correct.....late 20’s and very early 30’s. They are not that hard to find. People ask big dollars, but they seldom sell for much..........have had two sets of them over the years.

There was an old thread here back a while ago with a pair for sale and the guy couldn’t get any offers on them. I have seen at least a half dozen pairs and singles for sale in the last few years, and they seem to just keep sitting on the swap meet table. Let’s face it, they are not very stylish or attractive. They look OK on a few cars(gold bug) but they are a distraction or a detriment to most any car you place them on. They are like those gun handled spot lights that go through the front windshield glass..........just like Woodlights.........they are often more of a distraction than a positive addition to the lines of the car. Just my two cents..........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

I do not believe Kissel ever had them as original equipment.

Agreed. The Old Motor has a decent article on them, with interesting comments from people familiar with them. Results of using them are mixed at best.  

Hmmm.

I guess you either like E & J Model 20 lights or not. Also, either you like those gun-handled Fyrac spotlights or not. Well I do like both so I'll chime in.

On the E & J lights - - -

One post above talks about these E & J never being standard Kissel factory issue - to my knowledge, yes that is initially correct. 

However, they were then dealer-installed by Kissel's dealer in Hollywood, California where (yes!) most Kissel Gold Bugs were sold.

Below are pictures of two such cars which appear to have had these dealer-installed as standard in Hollywood. 

E & J Model 20's may sit for sale because folks price them high. Ives seen them offered for $3000 a poor pair - too much.

If you've got an unrestored pair, you can get $1200 - $1500 right now. Contact me .

On the pistol-grip Fyrac or Clymer spotlights - - - -

These either look great on your 1920's car or crappy. They do look good on Kissels. Kissel used Clymer types as factory options.

These are easily found on ebay. Unrestored ones go for $35 to $140, depending upon shape they are in and completeness.

There are a dozen different handle and light tub variations.

Beauty is an opinion, not a fact. Take care. 

Ron Hausmann P.E.

2674718_orig.jpg

1923 Kissel Gold Bug - Eyes on Design.jpg

The most important rule of owning an antique car.........buy what you like, not what everyone else says. Make the car your own........