70 GS Stage1 Convertible in Tealmist Gray

Smartin

• 2 weeks later...

It is very pretty!

I final sanded the passenger fender today, only to find a large low area running along the middle length of the fender.  Compared it with the other fender...definitely a low spot.  So, I worked it out, but I now have to start over with body work on this fender.  Bummer, since I was shooting to have paint done this weekend.  This will put me behind (hopefully) about a week.

3 hours ago, Smartin said:

It is very pretty!

I final sanded the passenger fender today, only to find a large low area running along the middle length of the fender.  Compared it with the other fender...definitely a low spot.  So, I worked it out, but I now have to start over with body work on this fender.  Bummer, since I was shooting to have paint done this weekend.  This will put me behind (hopefully) about a week.

Bummer, but better now than post-color!

When Big Blue was color matched with base coat against original it looked perfect.  It looks brighter in direct light because of metallic glistening under clear coat.  When it's not in direct light though, you can still tell the match is great.   I suspect this car will be similar.

When I painted the underside of the trunk lid, it seemed like it was a touch too green.  I didn't pursue the issue until I could get it into some good light.  Well, it was.  So some adjustments were made at the supply store (thank god they were open yesterday) and we have what I can safely say is as close as I could get to the original color.  There was some original paint left on the top inside of the doors, but it wasn't true to the color because it was somewhat thin. 

So, here we are.  I shot the base late yesterday, and got up early this morning and hosed a bunch of clear on it.  It's nice and sunny today, so that made for some good photo opportunities.

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

• Like 11

Inner and outer AC boxes, and all associated doodads are cleaned up and installed. Still need to buy some flex duct to connect the boxes. The firewall insulation was a pain in the arse to get the pins through the firewall. Seemed like that took more time than anything else.

All pedal assemblies are installed.

I started to get some wiring in. Threaded the power window harnesses through the doors and roughly hung the dash harness. Mounted the fuse block and left everything else hanging for now...until I can get the instrument cluster back from my spray chrome guy.

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Smartin said:

from my spray chrome guy

Hey, what's that???  I have some interior plastic pieces (e.g. arm rest bases) on my GP that need to be 'rechromed'.  I was thinking about trying some 'chrome' spray paint as a temporary measure...

36 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Hey, what's that???  I have some interior plastic pieces (e.g. arm rest bases) on my GP that need to be 'rechromed'.  I was thinking about trying some 'chrome' spray paint as a temporary measure...

A little topic deviation - I found this place recomended by some Ford guys  for plastic chrome resto- https://www.vacuumorna-metal.com/content/restoration

I'm going to try them on some 65 Skylark armrests.  I tried some Duplicolor chrome paint an was disappointed but not surprised-kinda dull looking.

Man that Tealmist  color is FINE.  Would look good on a 68 Wildcat :)

Edited by Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel
ad info (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It's called Spectra Chrome...Jay Leno featured it a few years ago on one of his short videos.  A local guy that I know bought into it and offers it now.  He wanted me to partner up as his painter but I don't have time for it.  This is going to be a bit of a guinea pig project for both of us.

• Thanks 2

I started installing door guts yesterday.  I forget how much crap is bolted to these doors, until I have to remove ,clean, paint, grease, from the old door to the new door.

The original glass to the car was really worn and scratched up.  I ended up ordering a set of side glass from Auto City Classic.  I had already ordered a windshield from Summit (Pilkington date coded).  The side glass will be here in a couple weeks.  Not sure on the windshield.

Here's a really exciting picture of what appears to be no progress, but it represents about 6 hours of fiddling with parts and bolts.  Thank god for Todd's fastener kit!

IMG_4739.jpg

• Like 6

I assembled all of the hardware onto the new glass today.  I got a hardware kit from Todd, which includes a good portion of new parts, but some I had to reuse from the old glass.  I'm really glad we got new glass for this car.  The old stuff was so scratched up and worn out...would've been a bummer to install it on such a nice car.

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...