70 GS Stage1 Convertible in Tealmist Gray

Smartin

I moved the car into the new shop so I can continue assembly in a well lit place...also to free up the "paint booth" to keep cleaning and painting parts as I need them.

The windshield I ordered from Summit was chipped when it came...and also was not LOF logo'ed or date coded like I requested.  So I'm waiting on a response from them regarding a claim.  In the mean time, I ordered another one from Auto City Classics, like I should have the first time.

I have started laying out the top frame to make sure I have everything needed to assemble.  It's a complete jigsaw puzzle, since it was all apart when I got it.  I still need to put a fresh coat of black paint on all of the pieces.  They're mostly nice, but have been beat up and chipped all over due to being moved around for years.

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

• Like 3

The top frame came to me in a million pieces and all the bolts were dumped in a coffee can.  I was able to borrow a local club member's loose top frame so I could use it as a model to assemble mine.  Thankfully, I had all the bolts and nuts/bushings in the coffee can so I could get it all put together.  With the help of my wife, we stuck it in the car this evening.  It goes up and down really nicely.  One more BIG item off the list!

IMG_5106.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Smartin said:

The top frame came to me in a million pieces and all the bolts were dumped in a coffee can.  I was able to borrow a local club member's loose top frame so I could use it as a model to assemble mine.  Thankfully, I had all the bolts and nuts/bushings in the coffee can so I could get it all put together.  With the help of my wife, we stuck it in the car this evening.  It goes up and down really nicely.  One more BIG item off the list!

I assume none of the pieces used pressed-on rivets like the 57-58 (and probably other years)?

2 minutes ago, Smartin said:

There were plenty of rivets...but they were all still together.  Anything that could’ve been unbolted was.  So it’s been fun cobbling it back together 

That's good; nothing's chrome on that I'm sure.  Trying to decide whether to dismantle the assembly I got for the 76C so I can rechrome the few bars inside that came chromed.  Pretty decent shape, but not perfect.  I'd have to get a hydraulic press to reassemble with the giant rivets in a couple places.

10 hours ago, Smartin said:

Makes you wonder if you could just use bolts and grind down the heads so they look like rivets on one side..

That is essentially what I did:  ground, shaped and polished the head of stainless 3/8 bolt; taped the chrome arm and installed with loctite.

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

That is essentially what I did:  ground, shaped and polished the head of stainless 3/8 bolt; taped the chrome arm and installed with loctite.

Did you grind it down after installation?  That seems risky.  Otherwise, how do you adequately tighten it with the shape ground off?

6 minutes ago, lancemb said:

Did you grind it down after installation?  That seems risky.  Otherwise, how do you adequately tighten it with the shape ground off?

ground a slot on the threaded end for one time tightening before locktite.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little bling to keep momentum..

Also, here is a photo of an original push clip compared to one that TPP sent. This is for the door weatherstripping top corners. The new ones are so big that they won't push into the factory holes. So I cobbled together a set from the parts car, and some others from my hoard. Thankfully I have saved some "stupid" stuff like this.

IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5207.jpg

• Like 7

The door seals are the new Parts Place latex ones.  They fit well, but the fasteners were wrong. 

Fast forward to today when I installed the A pillar seals...open the box and there is a bag of these...the CORRECT size clips.  Hallelujah.

Front windshield stainless is polished and installed...sans the cowl piece.  That is a real bitch to polish...will take care of it tomorrow. 

IMG_5209.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Not too much to update on this one...except that I now have the engine and transmission...and a bunch of other parts I've been needing.  I have the dashboard mostly together...sans a few things that are still trickling in.

I'm currently installing some accessories on the engine to get it ready for install.  For some reason, I left off "spark plugs" from my list of things to buy.  I'll be going to Auto Zone tomorrow AM for that so I can hopefully get the engine installed this weekend.

IMG_5563.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Had a big SNAFU with the transmission mount over the weekend, and everyone who sells them thinks that a TH350 mount is the same.  It's not.  I have a correct 2268 mount coming now.

Radio, ash tray, and glove box are installed.

MCACN was canceled last night...so this car will be unveiled at the 2021 show, alongside another 70 I am painting this coming year.

IMG_5639.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

• Like 4

Finally have a correct trans mount...got the engine and trans stabbed in this afternoon. I started putting some accessories on, but ran out of steam. Earlier today, I installed the top motor, hoses, and lift cylinders. I also got the new tires mounted on the wheels we are using. I still have to clean them up a bit more and paint the centers. Some of you will laugh or stick up your nose, but this is what the car came with, so that's what is going back on. I dig it.

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Front sheet metal installed today...

I'm hesitant to post more complete photos, since this car is supposed to be unveiled at MCACN.  2020 is canceled, so that means it will go to 2021 and be unveiled then.  I don't know if I can wait a year to post pics LOL

EDIT:  I removed the teaser photo to stay eligible for the unveiling at MCACN.  I may have to stop entirely posting photos of this project until after the unveiling.  It's going to kill me LOL

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it runs and drives now.  Top goes up and down.  Looks like I'll be taking it to the conv top guy next weekend. 

I had a couple leaks off the bat when I fired it up for the first time.  One transmission cooling line fitting, and an oddball oil leak from the oil pump housing.  It seems to have fixed itself, but I'll keep an eye on it.  Might end up pulling the pump apart and resealing.  Fuel filter housing was dripping, but easy fix with a couple wrenches.

It took me a couple hours to get the top working smoothly...kept blowing fuses.  But once I got everything lubed and adjusted, it stopped blowing them. 

• Like 3