Ugh...my timing chain is slopped out

Hearse

10 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

I am in the process of degreeing the original camshaft to a 1973 455 i am working on for installation into a 1968 rivi gs.

Hmmm, are you using that camshaft just because you had it available, or is it supposed to be good for some particular reason (e.g., low RPM torque)?  Normally I wouldn't consider installation of a smog-era cam in a pre-1970 high compression engine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hmmm, are you using that camshaft just because you had it available, or is it supposed to be good for some particular reason (e.g., low RPM torque)?  Normally I wouldn't consider installation of a smog-era cam in a pre-1970 high compression engine.

I agree on the smog cams not being up to par for a presmog engine. This is the original cam to the 1973 455 . The original 68 gs engine was ruined due to severe detonation. The person that rebuilt it back in the 80’s left an enormous  amount of deck clearance . So i sourced a 455 to replace it. One of the reasons i am considering using the original cam is because the cam and lifters are already broken in and in excellent condition.Also i am not looking to build a high performance engine. Ability to run on pump gas and reliability are what is most important to me. I hope to take are few 5k trips on it. I am not dead set on using the cam. I am degreeing the cam so i can make comparisons of whats available in the aftermarket in case i decide to go new. I will make a final decision when the time comes where i have to decide . Im in the beginning stages of the build  right now, disassembly ,measuring ,cleaning then off to the machine shop for a sonic test, rebore , assuming the sonic checks out, and a clean up and squaring of the block and head deck surfaces.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Very cool! Care to share some numbers? I would be most interested lobe seperation angle , intake open , intake close and whatever else you would like to share.

I was apprehensive doing this (Camshaft/Lifter/Timing Chain replacement) and thought I was genius in doing a dry run BEFORE replacing parts.

I tested for TDC at Cyl #1. Then incremented the balancer the full 360° using masking tape with Zero at the new mark (about +2° from mark). The smallish diameter meant less accuracy than a pro-degree wheel but, it served the purpose. It will eventually wear off.

Of note, I made my own TDC tool with a 14mm fitting from my Compression Tester Kit, a syringe and a piece of vacuum tubing with a paint stick mark.

Once dis-assembled, I expected some wiped Camshaft Lobes but, all appeared OK visually. I went further by measuring the lift for each Lobe and ended up not changing the camshaft.

There are two online calculators for entering acquired data using the .050” method. One accepts valve timing data and calculates area, duration, CL to intake. The other kind of back calculates using duration, LSA, CL to Intake and then plots-it-out. Running both calculators independently concurs with each other, very cool, especially the plot!

I ran both calculators for several Cam Cards which is NOT actual. Only my camshaft data was actual.

Specs for my original #1359442 were using the old .002” advertised method on that Dennis M. List and is useless for comparisons outside that list. So, it was good to have my camshaft with .050” data to compare with other cam-cards.

It turns out the original camshaft did have built-in advance.

I would’ve changed the camshaft if the new TA-112 I had on-hand didn’t have such an aggressive profile and reputable Lifters could be sourced. Quality of Flat tappet Hyd Lifters have deteriorated, even Roller Lifters! However, replacing the camshaft would’ve introduced too many variables in my trouble shooting for thumping in the passenger compartment while waiting at a red light in Drive. It remains unresolved.

Retaining the original cam, I got to keep my in-service replacement Lifters after cleaning them out knowing some leaked-down within a ½ day depending what position my Nailhead stopped in. “Go with the Devil you know”.

When shopping for camshafts, I would not use advertised specs. Request the cam-card for each camshaft you are considering, then run the .050” data through the calculator that plots-out the data. Only then can you make an informed decision! See my tables below that I used for comparison.

In my case, the original camshaft compares to the Melling SBC-3 or Elgin E-564-S which is a stock grind.

A nice profile would’ve been the Schneider #112 Camshaft, not too aggressive. It would’ve been a good upgrade if I was sold quality lifters to go with the package.

The two Calculators for doing your 1973 455:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/camcalc.php

https://mgispeedware.com/camshaft-calculator/

Degree Results with Nylon Timing Chain. Left is results FROM one calculator using test data, Right is using another calculator with data FROM Blue Box (Left):

image.png.e75fe3bbe3c6832ab25fe6485673273f.pngimage.png.1513f6a748f1aa557a035d71638d812e.png

image.png.292a96ba16b25616e08216d1b5d1ecf1.png

image.png.a69f29143067971d51e260a373d58d56.png

image.png.5a9f7b0fa67265612a02e484f4542b01.pngimage.png.e728a0be5aaab7785633aef42a501862.png

image.png.fda30ccb2e38dad22de2501572e8089c.png

image.png.a6e5a1503bc234815b4b36f747e240b4.png

image.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You could use Chevy lifters as they are sold by the thousands & the end results are usually quality & a plus are usually less costly.

You just need to use hybrid pushrods.

5/16ths.one end & 3/8 the rocker arm end.

Other than the above I see NO down sides & have used MANY.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

As to "advertised duration", there are SAE specs on how to measure that.  Seems like the "Lift from Cam Base Circle" on Intake is .006" and Exhaust is .008".  From what I understand, that accounts for the amount of the "ramp" on the lobe, so it is not counted.  Although in about 1963, as the duration specs on Chevy V-8 cams suddenly had extremely large duration numbers, they counted the ramps in those numbers, apparently, as the part numbers of the cams did not change.

When the ".050" Duration" figures appeared, that was a tool to use to compare any aftermarket cam, one to another.  Not saying the advertised durations of the aftermarket cams were incorrect, just that it gave the customer a way to compare cams with a common value of lift.  At the time, a Chrysler engineer claimed you could take the advertised (SAE Spec) and multiply it by .80 or .85 to approx the .050" lift duration, on OEM Chrysler cams.  Possibly other OEMs are similar, as they are supposed to be using the same SAE procedures?

@arnulfo and @XframeX, the one time I did a cam specs check (on a '72 Chry 440 NOS short block), I used a magnetic dial indicator, measuring off of a pushrod inserted into the top of a valve lifter, with the engine on an engine stand.  I procured a Mr. Gasket degree wheel, used the dial indicator to verify TDC, and bent a piece of stiff wire to indicate TDC on the degree wheel.  Then assembled the valve lifter/puchrod/dial indicator assy for reading lobe lift.  The first cam I checked was a new comp Cams 268HE (from the mid-80s when they were new).  I cleaned the #1 lobes and put a thin coat of motor oil on the lobes and lifter base.  The next cam I checked was an original NOS Chrysler Purple Shaft Street HEMI cam I bought from Gratiot Auto Supply in the late 1970s, NOS.  Same proceedure.  I took readings when lift started, max lift, and lift ended.  Unfortunately, all of those pages on the legal pad are archived at this time.  I know the CompCam item checked exactly as the cam card and other literature stated.  The big surprise was that their "asymetrical lobes" were really there!  Keeping the intake valve at max lift for 10 degrees of crankshaft travel, for the stated "increased area under the curve" to yield longer-duration power with less real duration.  The unsurprising issue was that the NOS OEM cam held the max lift value for a quick ONE degree of crankshaft movement. 

Now . . . "How I Spent Yesterday (01-04-2024) Afternoon"

I had happened onto some videos on the "Muscle Car Solutions" YouTube channel on camshaft lifter failures.  After watching that, he mentioned a future interview he had with Billy Godbold (formerly of CompCams, not in private consultancy).  So I watched that 1 hr long video, with the "main stuff" happening past the 40minute mark. with much before it, too.  Plan on watching the whole deal!  Several comments about cam break-in and related engine rpm.  Also mention of the new "DLC" coated hydraulic lifters.  "DLC" = "Diamond Like Carbon", for better durability, but only Chevrolet applications available at this time  (see @telriv post above).

As to Billy's book, he talks a lot about it and many of the variables in choosing a good cam.  It's like 200 pages and costs about $36.95USD at CarTech Books, fwiw.  As he mentioned, lots fo reading there!

@arnulfo,  in the rebuild of the '68 motor, how did the rebuilder leave "too much deck" on the engine?  Were "export" pistons used to lower the compression ratio?  Or what?  Considering the engine had 10.0CR to start with?  Why is it not "fixable"?  Just curious.

As to "OEM smog era cams", many were not different from prior cams, depending upon which brand of engine is being talked about, by observation.  For example, Chev and others used a cam sprocket with a 4 degree retard built into it, OEM.  It was easy to tell if the sprocket was retarded by where the dot was in relation to the peak on the sprocket where the timing chain "tooth" was.  Ford did similar on the 460s.

As good as the 430s were on power AND fuel economy, for a slightly bigger motor with a lower compression ratio (and the same cam), something of that "sweet spot" motor vanished with the lower CR.  I believe they had the same cam on both motors, IIRC.

As to your used cam, did you keep the valve lifters separated by which lobe on the cam they were originally assembled to?  IF NOT, you would need to coat the lifter bases and lobes with moly assy lube prior to assy, pour the GM EOS (thick) over the lobes through the lifter valley, and do a complete break-in procedure again to let each lifter "get to know" a new cam lobe.

I commend @XframeX for his supplied data on the cam specs!

Many aftermarket cam manufacturers cut their cams on 110degree LCA specs.  Most OEM cams are 112-114degree LCAs, which can yield a better idle quality and higher idle vac levels in gear.  Lunati has some 112LCA cams, though, but not sure if they are Buick V-8 cams, of either generation.  Many cam people will claim the 110LCA increases mid-range power a bit over OEM, but I wondered about that.  

Back when my '77 Camaro LT 305 had 92K miles on it, I upgraded it to a Holley 28-Z (single plane, full plenum divider, but with the "resonating channel" between the #7 and #8 cyls, to give #7 a better charge, as #5 and #7 pulled from the same corner of the plenum and fired consequtivly), an emissions-spec Holley 4160 (1975 Chevy Impala 350), and a Cam Dynamics "Energizer" 266 cam (210 @.050, 110degree LCA, .440 lift).  O hac chosen that cam to work with the 2.56 rear axle in the car, rather than the wilder next-step cam.  It was equivalent in specs to the CompCam 260HE cam of that time.  On the first drive after break-in, it did OK, but was not stellar by any means.  So I messed around with the advance curve and helped it some, plus some playing with the initial advance advance setting.  When done, it only dropped my daily mpg by .4mpg, with more power.  So that was good.  in later times, I upgraded the 4160 to an emissions-spec 4175 for a '79 L82 Corvette.  Immediate 2mpg jump!  To 19.66-20mpg average.  The night before the 305 was swapped for a same-cam 355, it did 23.5mpg on a 60 mile freeway loop at about 60mph.  Not bad for a 525K mile OEM engine with 8.5CR.

Just some thoughts, experiences, concerns, and questions,

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

John! Thanks for that man, great job.  I respect your improvising skills, very impressive.Surprised to see no overlap. Should make for a smooth idling engine. Wonder if your thumping issue is being caused by a weak cylinder or possibly an out of balance rotating assembly. I have also wondered if torque converters are balanced. When they are full of fluid that makes for alot of rotating mass. Could it be that the fluid acts as a dynamic balancer?Hope you get it figured out.

NXT, the pistons sat .040 in the hole and he used a .050 compressed gasket for a total of .090 in the hole. Horrible quench ! Should be between .035- .045 max. He also bored it .030 over and the damage from detonation would take a minimum of another .030 for a total of .060 overbore. Even if a sonic test showed the cylinder walls were good to go that big, ( which is a crap shoot due to core shift ) i dont feel comfortable With that much overbore. The only other option would be to resleeve. Not too big on that idea because it would require the decks to be machined and the numbers would be removed. Being its the numbers matching engine to the 68 rivi gs I am not crazy about that idea either. So for now the block will sit in the corner of my garage. Yes I did keep the lifters and push rods separated by cylinder and intake / exhaust valves. I have not yet disassembled the heads to the 455. Want to cc the combustion chambers first.When I do take the heads apart I will also separate from the keepers to the valves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I was apprehensive doing this (Camshaft/Lifter/Timing Chain replacement) and thought I was genius in doing a dry run BEFORE replacing parts.

I tested for TDC at Cyl #1. Then incremented the balancer the full 360° using masking tape with Zero at the new mark (about +2° from mark). The smallish diameter meant less accuracy than a pro-degree wheel but, it served the purpose. It will eventually wear off.

Of note, I made my own TDC tool with a 14mm fitting from my Compression Tester Kit, a syringe and a piece of vacuum tubing with a paint stick mark.

Once dis-assembled, I expected some wiped Camshaft Lobes but, all appeared OK visually. I went further by measuring the lift for each Lobe and ended up not changing the camshaft.

There are two online calculators for entering acquired data using the .050” method. One accepts valve timing data and calculates area, duration, CL to intake. The other kind of back calculates using duration, LSA, CL to Intake and then plots-it-out. Running both calculators independently concurs with each other, very cool, especially the plot!

I ran both calculators for several Cam Cards which is NOT actual. Only my camshaft data was actual.

Specs for my original #1359442 were using the old .002” advertised method on that Dennis M. List and is useless for comparisons outside that list. So, it was good to have my camshaft with .050” data to compare with other cam-cards.

It turns out the original camshaft did have built-in advance.

I would’ve changed the camshaft if the new TA-112 I had on-hand didn’t have such an aggressive profile and reputable Lifters could be sourced. Quality of Flat tappet Hyd Lifters have deteriorated, even Roller Lifters! However, replacing the camshaft would’ve introduced too many variables in my trouble shooting for thumping in the passenger compartment while waiting at a red light in Drive. It remains unresolved.

Retaining the original cam, I got to keep my in-service replacement Lifters after cleaning them out knowing some leaked-down within a ½ day depending what position my Nailhead stopped in. “Go with the Devil you know”.

When shopping for camshafts, I would not use advertised specs. Request the cam-card for each camshaft you are considering, then run the .050” data through the calculator that plots-out the data. Only then can you make an informed decision! See my tables below that I used for comparison.

In my case, the original camshaft compares to the Melling SBC-3 or Elgin E-564-S which is a stock grind.

A nice profile would’ve been the Schneider #112 Camshaft, not too aggressive. It would’ve been a good upgrade if I was sold quality lifters to go with the package.

The two Calculators for doing your 1973 455:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/camcalc.php

https://mgispeedware.com/camshaft-calculator/

Degree Results with Nylon Timing Chain. Left is results FROM one calculator using test data, Right is using another calculator with data FROM Blue Box (Left):

image.png.e75fe3bbe3c6832ab25fe6485673273f.pngimage.png.1513f6a748f1aa557a035d71638d812e.png

image.png.292a96ba16b25616e08216d1b5d1ecf1.png

image.png.a69f29143067971d51e260a373d58d56.png

image.png.5a9f7b0fa67265612a02e484f4542b01.pngimage.png.e728a0be5aaab7785633aef42a501862.png

image.png.fda30ccb2e38dad22de2501572e8089c.png

image.png.a6e5a1503bc234815b4b36f747e240b4.png

image.png

This list of OE cam specs is incomplete when compared to the chart that Dennis Manner posted in a Riview some years ago.  It does not include 1964, 1965, or 1966 or which cams were used with the 2x4 engines. No cams are listed for the years I mentioned when cam timing went from 12 degrees to 5 degrees.

On 1/3/2024 at 8:29 PM, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Frank i am curious as to how much slack you have. Can you please elaborate?

So I‘ve measured new true roller timing chain slack. With one side under tension the other side had about 8mm slack. I was surprised, that this leads to only 1 degree retard angle on the cam sprocket ( equals 2 deg. On the crank sprocket). Please take into account that these measurement was not very precise.

the picture does not show the dial indicator, I had it already removed from the engine block deck.

15902A19-6FFD-4C88-8EA5-E66A1FBBAA89.jpeg

So I‘ve measured new true roller timing chain slack. With one side under tension the other side had about 8mm slack. I was surprised, that this leads to only 1 degree retard angle on the cam sprocket ( equals 2 deg. On the crank sprocket). Please take into account that these measurement was not very precise.

the picture does not show the dial indicator, I had it already removed from the engine block deck.

• Like 1

FA94C6A3-6C3A-4BE3-9748-C2B2AD82A2C0.jpeg

Edited by OldGerman
Picture did not upload. (see edit history)

Does anyone know, if this Summit crankshaft holder tool SUM 900179 made for LS engines would fit the nailhead balancer  in terms of inner and outer diameter ?

additional holes for holding bolts could be added in the correct nailhead bolt circle diameter, but is there a chance for direct fit ?

4CDE98A2-239A-4A32-8A79-961DB8710D2D.png

Pulley.jpg

Edited by OldGerman
add picture (see edit history)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-906007?seid=srese1&ppckw=pmax-tools&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnrOtBhDIARIsAFsSe51sOwTJLh4xYbUkANIF--456xUBrjcUzmlownBI3X6wgL4iU9rCAoYaAg7jEALw_wcB

This is the tool I used on my balancer. It fit the balancer, but all that torque started to deform the notch for the breaker bar. Still, it did what I needed it to do.

21 minutes ago, gungeey said:

I have these. Homemade. 

The rope in the hole is just as easy. 

20231228_142127.jpg

20231228_142119.jpg

Gungeey, 

How ist that red toothed wedge made from plastic homemade ? 3D printed or cut out from something else ? 

Where did you get this ?

• 4 weeks later...

I‘ve searched google for a balancer holding tool available for European brand engines, easy and cheap to obtain here in Germany. Found a VW tool and modified a bit to make it fit the nailhead balancer. It cost 20$ including shipping. 

Not yet used and tested for it’s limit. I‘m excited to see if it will hold up the 320Nm torque.

6A304A5E-34BC-4A9C-9738-D1B51AEE88D5.jpeg

82385365-5BB9-462A-B021-2A5D67A6BE6C.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Since the time all of these messages were done, I discovered the "Cam Group" of videos which David Vizard did on cam card specs and lobe center spreads.  His "128 formula" is of particular interest.  As it turns out, it was independently verified by a YouTuber "Cattledog Garage", all by himself, without knowing about DV's formula before he did his verification.  Seems that CDG is a 3rd generation engine machinist and builder, with his grandfather working for a GM division as his main job.

CDG does his videos driving around the Washington State area where he lives, in a Chevy flatbed pickup with a Chevy 383 he built, which also runs sub-14 second 1/4 miles.  He posts several dyno runs he did, plus those of another builder, to show the affects of lobe centerline on power and torque output.  Then talks about them.

The Vizard 128 Formula is about "giving the engine what it wants" for best power.  The "128" is for small block Chevy engines, with another value for other brands and types of engines.

Now, DV is unique in that he could call his contact at a major cam company and get access to this person, which normal customers cannot do.  He usually ordered special-ground cams, knowing the engineering behind each one, using the Master Catalog's Lobe Profile List to choose the ones he wanted.  In other words, he could look at the numbers for the profile and know if it was what he wanted or did not want.  He was more focused on building race motors rather than otherwise, too.  I highly recommend y'all watching his "Cam Group" videos and also the two from CattleDog Garage.  They all compliment each other!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

@arnulfo de l.a., getting the block line honed and then decked with torque plates should put that part of the situation at "blueprint specs", I suspect, or close to it.  Which can serve to raise the compression ratio to more like the stated specification.  CC-ing the cyl heads will finish out that situation.

By the time the 455 came out, everybody was in full emissions-compliance mode, which meant "lower performance" engines resulted.  Did NOT affect durability, but DID affect fuel economy a bunch.  With the 455 replacing the higher-CR 430 in the line-up.  So I don't know that anybody really understood why the 455 acted as it tended to do, being thirsty and such.

According to Vizard's videos on ignition timing and combustion processes AFTER the spark, there is a sweet spot as to piston diameter when considering "burn time" of the mixture.  Which can mean a smaller bore and longer stroke can result in more power than a larger bore and shorter stroke, with the same CID?

DO pay attention to the oiling system, as Buick V-8 can tend to be a bit persnickity in that area.  A high volume pump can be used, but NOT with the higher pressure spring.  Paying attention to "details" of the build which are UNIQUE to Buick V-8s, no matter the model year, is important and can enhance ultimate durability.

Take care and keep us posted on your progress,

NTX5467