Custom casting and machining

Akstraw

Does anyone have experience with a firm named EMI-USA in El Paso, Texas for custom cast iron and machining work?   I am considering them for a couple of projects.  Thanks.

Andrew

I had a copy of their contract which had to be signed before they would do any work.  In the fine print it stated that their promise of quick delivery could mean up to 3 years.  It also stated that if a customer sued them the customer would pay all the foundry's expenses to defend themselves in court.

I know a Reo Member who lost an exhaust manifold and cash at that place .

There was another Reo member who lived near the business . He went over and just wanted the manifold back and not the money for the other Reo Member .

No questions asked and the guy would not return the manifold .

Here is Greg Coleman who does nice work for Chevy and Reo owners .

gcoleman@frontier.com

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

I know this A**hole.........someone needs to give him some street justice. His aunt was a Judge in Texas, until she croaked he had protection. All things in time............

• Like 2

I was  looking for a head one time and they called me up to try an recast one for me.  Fortunately I had already heard from people who had bad experiences with them.  I have never heard of anyone having anything  approaching a good experience.  I know that we are not supposed to badmouth companies on this website but this place  deserves it.  Hopefully nobody will delete this post.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:20 AM, Tim Wolfe said:

This might be the same company that started as MFT-USA, then changed to Empire. I had a terrible time with them.

Bingo, Tim!!!

This was Mexico Free Trade (MFT).  I suppose it is OK to name them as they are out of business under this name.

Real life experience of mine:  I have been in management for 46 years in the ferrous foundry casting business.  Quite a few years ago there were 3 gents one of whom contacted me about casting 3 manifolds for their Duesenberg autos.  They were really in a bind.  MFT demanded upwards of $3,000 per manifold "up front".  They sent the $9,000 along with a cracked manifold for reproduction to MFT in El Paso, Texas.  Turns out MFT then takes the sample across the boarder and who knows where in all of Mexico a foundry receives it for modeling and casting.  That was the last they heard of their rare sample casting or the $9,000.  Incidentally, I could have cast them with a very good profit for around $800 a piece back then. 

Listen to what others are saying here.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:39 AM, Mark Gregory said:

I know a Reo Member who lost an exhaust manifold and cash at that place .

There was another Reo member who lived near the business . He went over and just wanted the manifold back and not the money for the other Reo Member .

No questions asked and the guy would not return the manifold .

Here is Greg Coleman who does nice work for Chevy and Reo owners .

gcoleman@frontier.com

I second Greg. He’s done some nice casting work for me from my own patterns. Made up a couple free wheeling levers for my Olds (we polished and machined them ourselves), and some Cabriolet roof t bolts with escutcheons.

CCCE2E0A-C8E7-40C3-8EB3-48E58B6FE8B7.jpeg

DE62C4E6-01C5-405B-B71E-029232A21C02.jpeg

683C2A62-D6BE-405D-9869-8E555F8039BD.jpeg

58A53DF1-C2F2-4983-B59E-451BE6F8F6C0.jpeg

• Like 2