A Duesen-iac?

I don't hate it except for the interior, which looks like the corner booth in the Bada-Bing Club. At least it's not red leather, I guess. Someone spent good money and at least did a tasteful job of it, and just in lighting alone there's several thousand dollars' worth of investment.

• Like 1

Value of lights, only if the Woodlites are real....there were reproductions made a number of years ago, and the ones on this car don't appear to have the correct badges on them....

I've seen worse modifications, but still a shame...

I would have much rather had the original '33 Pontiac!  I've owned a few and was the '33-'34 T/A for POCI in the early years.  They were really nice cars, both from the standpoint of looks as well as driving.  The Woodlites, real or repro, are all wrong in scale for the car.  The chopped top doesn't do anything for it's appearance, at least for me, and the oversized wheels/tires just look wrong for the car's overall size.  Oh, and the outside exhaust pipes just look pimp on this car.  And I do agree with Matt on the upholstery too.  I wouldn't have that stuff on my pontoon boat, let alone one of my cars. I guess it's each to his/her own, but then don't be disappointed when you try to get 30K for such an abomination!

While I realize that cars like this one can be very polarizing and I generally prefer a more original version, I can also appreciate the work that went into this project. You may need to consider what he had to start with. Perhaps a very incomplete car.

It's funny, every auto forum I belong to, has a thread asking why it's so difficult to draw new people to the hobby, yet when a car like this one, that doesn't fit the rigid guidelines already in place, comes along, there seems to be a pretty cold welcome for them. Same was the case last month for the early Chevrolet electric conversion someone linked to. I thought that one was quite innovative. 

I like this Pontiac.

And I'll bet it gets a nice big thumbs up at every traffic light.

Flame away.

Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Am I seeing that right--did they install a rear windshield on the back of the seat? In a closed car?

Really?

You could call it “division glass” for the chauffeur, I guess. If someone made me buy a hot rodded car, I would go with it . It’s kinda cool. 

I like it. Paint cracking on the door shows the age of the build. That would explain the style of interior. Franklinman is right about the front end not being in scale to carry all of the lights. Looks good, just needs to be the size of a Packard to have that much stuff look right. I think the chop goes well with how the car is finished out. 

It's better than many of the craigslist hacks I see.  As someone said alot of money spent and they stepped back atleast once to gauge the overall look before continuing (unlike many of the jobs I see) .  Looks like something I would have drawn in Highschool as a fantasy car,  though most of mine were open with split windshields unless I was drawing 3 window Ford coupes. 

I don't believe any GM division offered Woodlites as an option, even on Cadillacs.  However, if a wealthy customer wanted a custom body Fleetwood with Woodlites, GM most likely would have accommodated him.

One little-known option Pontiac did offer a few years later was the Wagner 'No-Rol', which Studebaker marketed as the 'Hill Holder'.   

Craig 

I am very much of a purist myself but when I looked at this one I found myself thinking "if I ever was into streetrods..."

And I was off to the races. For a car that likely will never return from the Dark Side, this one is not too bad.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, trimacar said:

Value of lights, only if the Woodlites are real....there were reproductions made a number of years ago, and the ones on this car don't appear to have the correct badges on them....

I've seen worse modifications, but still a shame...

My first thought was "There is an unfinished fiberglass Auburn Speedster somewhere.

That looks like a pretty big series Pontiac. I wonder if the Oakland dealers could get them through the showroom door.

I wouldn't have seen the car if it was on the local Craigslist. I just get this skin crawling feeling when sellers use that $30, $1, or whatever decimal fraction in their ads. I just pass right by on the first misrepresentation. Maybe some of the Forum readers do that and can tell me what's going on in the gray stuff.

IMHO the only things wrong with this "customized Pontiac" are the Woodlites and the Chevrolet engine.  I really believe the engine should match the make of the body.  One of GM's biggest mistakes was to start using the same engine across make lines. Their own engines was one thing that made Pontiac, Olds, Buick and Cadillac  different from a chevy.