This was my uncle's car can anyone tell me make I think it's a Chrysler but I could be

Bobbygarnier

Not sure why some commenters are so judgemental. The car is clearly an all steel 1930 Dodge Brothers, it was "hot rodded" over likely modern suspension etc. No doubt it was what your Uncle liked and that's just fine with most old car guys including me. The telltale signal is the winged badge on radiator shell. Interesting device of some kind secured to face of radiator?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

Not sure why some commenters are so judgemental. The car is clearly an all steel 1930 Dodge Brothers, it was "hot rodded" over likely modern suspension etc. No doubt it was what your Uncle liked and that's just fine with most old car guys including me. The telltale signal is the winged badge on radiator shell. Interesting device of some kind secured to face of radiator?

I agree. It looks like a bug screen on the radiator. Probably why the headlamps are covered up, too.

14 hours ago, padgett said:

Looks more fiberglass kit car. Did anything pre-war have coil springs ?

'34 Plymouth PE and PF models had independent front suspension with coil springs. Wouldn't surprise me if some other non-Airflow makes/models manufactured by Chrysler also had that in '34.

I am afraid I'll have to agree with the comments that the pictured car can't really be called a '30 Dodge, only that it is a highly modified car with some '30 Dodge parts embedded in it.

• Like 1

the pictured car can't really be called a '30 Dodge, only that it is a highly modified car with some '30 Dodge parts embedded in it.

Ply33, you don't really mean this? If so there are a million low boy and hi-boy '32 Ford's out there that will have to find new names for their vehicles, not to mention the '30's, 31's, 33's, 34's ........ !! The hobby (and by the way the DMV's) has always called a modified car by its identifiable make and body style (usually with an original associated serial number), in this case a 1929/30 or so Dodge Brothers Sedan (or Coupe if it is one).  The car is a 1929/30 Dodge Brothers. Period. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

the pictured car can't really be called a '30 Dodge, only that it is a highly modified car with some '30 Dodge parts embedded in it.

Ply33, you don't really mean this? If so there are a million low boy and hi-boy '32 Ford's out there that will have to find new names for their vehicles, not to mention the '30's, 31's, 33's, 34's ........ !! The hobby (and by the way the DMV's) has always called a modified car by its identifiable make and body style (usually with an original associated serial number), in this case a 1929/30 or so Dodge Brothers Sedan (or Coupe if it is one).  The car is a 1929/30 Dodge Brothers. Period. 

I do really mean it. Just because others and many (all?) DMVs think differently doesn't force me to agree.

"The hobby" that "has always called a modified car by its identifiable make and body style" is different than the hobby I am in which is keeping the vehicle historically correct. I guess the other way to look at it is there is not a single "car hobby", there are several. In some cases there is common ground (i.e. some laws would affect both modified and historically correct vehicles). In other cases there is little in common (i.e. there are a bunch of clubs, websites, etc. for EVs yet on this forum there seems to be a fair number of people who consider those to be unworthy of a "car guy"). Different strokes for different folks.

uuuuuh....

"Why can't we get more young people interested in this hobby?"

With the exception of Gunsmoke and keiser's comments, this thread is a perfect example of "why".

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

It was ORIGINALLY a 1930 Dodge Brothers.

Do you know that for a fact ? 

Unless you built it from original or owned it as such, all we know it could’ve been a 1974 Datsun or something with Dodge Brothers body or panels grafted on it. 

Right ?

P.S. Not trying to be argumentative, but rather focus on facts and reality.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

...there are a million low boy and hi-boy '32 Ford's out there that will have to find new names for their vehicles, not to mention the '30's, 31's, 33's, 34's ........ !! The hobby (and by the way the DMV's) has always called a modified car by its identifiable make and body style (usually with an original associated serial number), in this case a 1929/30 or so Dodge Brothers Sedan (or Coupe if it is one).  The car is a 1929/30 Dodge Brothers. Period. 

“Of the +/-13000 ‘32 Ford Roadsters originally manufactured, several hundred thousand are still known to exist today.” (me, TTR)

To put it differently:

Regardless of what their owners wish to claim or some government institution employee, without necessarily knowing any better, agrees to print on the “official” documents, any one of the hundreds of thousands of ‘32 (or ‘30, ‘31, ‘33, ‘34, etc...) Fords (or any other brand) vehicles built with majority of their major components being “aftermarket” or other non-original, including bodies (Brookeville, fiberglass, etc,) or chassis/suspension 

from any number of producers (from “home built” to hi-tech manufacturers), are not & shouldn’t be considered or even be called as same as those they’re attempting emulate/imitate/simulate.

They are just fakes, replicas, etc. Nothing more, nothing less. 

P.S. Not trying to be argumentative about this either, but rather focus on facts and reality.

P.P.S. To illustrate the point, my PB Roadster, while hot rodded & modified (which some may consider sacrilege),  still has its original body panels, frame, most of suspension, etc (I still have many of its other original components and parts that came with it 30 years ago, but I left off during the build).

It also has its original V.I.N. (tag) with which it was registered/titled as 1932 Plymouth PB Roadster in State of New York back in 1952 (I still have the copy of that registration/title) and it has been insured/registered/titled as such for past 30 years, but can or should it be considered being one of the +/-2100 PB Sport Roadsters originally manufactured by Plymouth ? I prefer to think so, but others may not agree.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

58 minutes ago, TTR said:

Do you know that for a fact ? 

Unless you built it from original or owned it as such, all we know it could’ve been a 1974 Datsun or something with Dodge Brothers body or panels grafted on it. 

Right ?

No. I do not know what the chassis is from. I am talking about the body, fenders, radiator shell, part of the headlamp bar and the other sheet metal. How could I possibly know what the 1930 DB is married to underneath? You are correct. It could be ANYTHING underneath. I am pretty certain the original poster of this thread was asking about the sheet metal parts and NOT the chassis. Maybe the car is still out there and can still be identified chassis-wise.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, GregLaR said:

uuuuuh....

"Why can't we get more young people interested in this hobby?"

With the exception of Gunsmoke and keiser's comments, this thread is a perfect example of "why".

I agree 100%. I myself am not a hot rod or resto-mod guy but I’m ok with others enjoying them. I personally, if anyone has followed my 32’ Olds restoration thread, tend to go way overboard when it comes to authenticity. What I find really funny is some will tear another guys car apart for its non original stuff yet their own car will have non original things on it. When you question them about it, they either get mad at you, or come up with some kind of story why it’s “acceptable “ on their car. Then you have the “authority “ guys who actually don’t know $h(t from shinola other than what they might have heard or read somewhere who try and tell you you’re wrong! I know some national show car winners that have at least 15 incorrect items on them and if you mention or question about those things, you better get ready to protect yourself. Another reason it’s getting harder to attract people to the hobby. 

When registering a car, it is determined by the body vin or serial. Think about how many of the same chassis fit a different body. Got to feel bad for the OP as he came here, figuring people would be nice and help him get useful info on his uncles old car car, and some just rip him. He’s only got two posts and probably will stay away for good. 

"21-50 to headquarters"  I am on the tail of the 2020 'Wachamacallit reproduction'.

It looks a lot like a 32 Henway, am I chasing the right guy? I have my weapon trained on him/her.