Incorrect style fan belts

sftamx1

One of the hardest parts to get for older engines is the correct fan belt. Today's belts all have cogs in the V area to prevent slipping. As a newbie years ago I lost judging points for having a cogged belt on my 1970 AMX.

I'm now restoring a 1933 Terraplane 8, and while I'm thrilled I have a proper fitting brand new belt, it is cogged. Where do restorers find the correct obsolete smooth belts that were removed from parts stores stock decades ago?

20190313_171523.jpg

1 hour ago, Alex D. said:

Try this company, https://www.vbeltsupply.com/.  I found the correct size belt (no cogs) for my 32 cadillac at a fraction of the cost that a vender was asking.

Alex D.

X2 on vbeltsupply.com.  I've ordered belts from them and been pleased with product and price.

I went down to NAPA and picked up 2 non-cogged belts for my 31 Pierce Arrow, they still look shinier than the old fabric belts but I don’t have any issues with it as I would rather quality belts - that and the car is original so losing points at a show isn’t a big worry.

• Like 1

Fabric wrapped belts are still made for industrial and implement use. Bando Power King belts even have marks that look like they could have come from the old days, if you daub a little flat black paint over the most modern looking parts. Not absolutely authentic of course, but it sure doesn't stick out like a modern automotive belt.

ls2750-bando-power-king-c81-v-belt-c-81-

Hvac supply houses will have them. They will even have them with the right look. 

Most supply houses are wholesale only so they don’t sell to the public, but if you drive an old car as an ice breaker I imagine they will still sell you one. 

37 minutes ago, gossp said:

Hvac supply houses will have them. They will even have them with the right look. 

Most supply houses are wholesale only so they don’t sell to the public, but if you drive an old car as an ice breaker I imagine they will still sell you one. 

Use your computer to print up a letter head or purchase order with whatever name strikes your fancy. Walk in like you own the place and just say "cash sale" when they ask for your account. If they ask for a tax number just say this is taxable. Easy Peasy and perfectly legal. Worked for me many times, never turned away. It's a win-win-win-win. Wholesaler makes a sale, you get your belt, maybe even at a wholesale price,  no tradesman has been harmed since you always were going to do it yourself and the state gets it's cut of the action..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Use your computer to print up a letter head or purchase order with whatever name strikes your fancy. Walk in like you own the place and just say "cash sale" when they ask for your account. If they ask for a tax number just say this is taxable. Easy Peasy and perfectly legal. Worked for me many times, never turned away. It's a win-win-win-win. Wholesaler makes a sale, you get your belt, maybe even at a wholesale price,  no tradesman has been harmed since you always were going to do it yourself and the state gets it's cut of the action..........Bob

You can also just drop the name of any one van company in your area you know of.  If it is a cash sale it won’t be an issue. Fake letterhead sounds like a lot of work.