A Special 1902 Olds Curved Dash

Trulyvintage

I have transported several Old Curved Dash Cars .....

But I picked one up Thursday in Oceanside, California that turned out

to be particularly special .....

It was shipped over to London (3) different times to run the London to Brighton

Historic Horseless Carriage Event by the first American Woman to complete

the Run ....

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-02-12/local/me-2931_1_speed-limit

Jim

40534199-47F5-45CD-B358-93AF96B1C687.jpeg.cd31fd65a1f67a20c6810f60ff2ef414.jpeg

Funny thing is that the Olds will finish the race.......and its the least expensive car you can buy to make the run, now one of the 50hp big boy toy cars...........50/50 if your lucky! Great car.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, TerryB said:

That has to be the lowest optioned car ever built!  I guess ol Ransom Eli didn’t know how much extra he could make by selling upgrades like headlights😀.

Literally a Horseless Carriage,  what would you expect in 1902?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lump said:

Ummm...but are the dash instruments digital, or analog? Does it have bluetooth? 

With no fenders I’m sure the driver quickly learned to drive with his mouth shut tight...........horse manure would have been more common than puddles on the roads of 1902. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ed, I had to laugh!  The one time in my life I actually told my wife (going on 42 years now!) to "keep your mouth shut!" was on an Endurance Run with an open wheel racing car (just a model T) when a herd of cattle was driven onto the road right in front of us! We had to follow that herd for about a mile, and I never did get the stains out of our coveralls!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

With no fenders I’m sure the driver quickly learned to drive with his mouth shut tight...........horse manure would have been more common than puddles on the roads of 1902. 

LOL. This reminds me of bike riding as a kid. I got an old bike for free, and "restored" it so I could ride it. Sanding and painting the frame was a pain, so I decided to take a short cut and not use the fenders at all, so I wouldn't have to straighten, sand, and paint them. When finished I thought it looked cool...almost like a "hot rod." I rode it proudly around the neighborhood for a while, and then spotted one of my favorite mud puddles. I went ripping right through it, as I had done a hundred times before. But without front and rear fenders, I got blasted with cold, muddy water from both directions, nearly wrecking the bike in my shock. And OF COURSE, some of the pretty girls in my neighborhood happened to be watching nearby, and laughed themselves to hysterics.  😝

• Like 1

Original fuel delivery system.

On the left is the air cleaner and carburetor.

In the center is lift pump that sat in the fuel tank ( note primer plunger on top ).

On the right is fuel line with diaphragm housing.

This original complete assembly ( less diaphragm ) is rare.

This Olds currently has a Model T carburetor on it.

Jim

33C338F9-BD19-4A04-A6EE-2DF1457E6565.jpeg

Tops, fenders and lights were available in 1902 but not standard.  Fenders are listed in the parts book at $1.50 each for the front and $1.00 each for the back!  Neverout lights would be correct for this model.  The correct carburetor for this was simply a mixer and it was fed by gravity.  No pump involved.  CDO's were made from 1901-1907 and the best guesses I have heard is that there are about 500-600 at least still around.  The CDO Club had about 60 of these at the Olds 100th Anniversary celebration...pretty cool to see them all coming down the street.  I was lucky enough to drive the 1904 owned by Olds Division in the Parade.  Great cars, I have had several and now have a 1903 that sadly has seen little use lately.