Pfeil

Your Future, will you fit?

13 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Got to get that Semi sentiment out of peoples head. Long haul should be done by Rail. It's been proven over and over again that it is much cheaper.

Except ALL long haul is NOT done by rail.

There are hundreds of thousands of semis on the road every day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Yes, It is a shame Gustave Whitehead didn't have a photographer back in 1901 to prove it, something the Wright brothers thought of in 1903. Bob 

Bob, wasn't Gustave's flight written up in the local newspaper? It seems the Wright brothers heard the news, and visited his workshop, to find out how it was done. They were obviously better at promoting themselves. Mr. Musk would understand that aspect of progress..

Remember it was George Eastman that gave us the ability to take simple photos with the most basic of cameras.  His vision for photography was similar to Henry Ford’s version of what an automobile for the general public should look like.

8 hours ago, cahartley said:

We can change that quickly.

9 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

Government is forcing EVs on people. The subsidized market is very very limited. EVs are handouts for the rich and famous; those who never pay their fair share. There is almost no demand for automobiles in the USA because of government meddling. People are buying trucks and anything that legally classifies as a truck because of California's meddling in the auto industry. Remember, I teach this stuff at the graduate level. Hey, Peter, come to El Paso and debate me. 

The latest federal income tax data reported by the IRS shows that the top 1 percent of income earners pay 39.5 percent of all federal income taxes, nearly twice the 20.6 percent share of national income they earn. The entire bottom 50 percent of all taxpayers pay 2.7 percent of federal income taxes, which is only a small fraction (about one fourth) of their share of national income.

The top 1 percent, indeed, pay a much bigger share of federal income taxes than the entire bottom 90 percent of income earners, who pay only 29.1 percent of federal income taxes, while earning 53 percent of national income. That means as well that the top 1 percent pay a bigger share of income taxes than the entire middle class combined, defined as the middle 20 percent of income earners

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

Government is forcing EVs on people. The subsidized market is very very limited. EVs are handouts for the rich and famous; those who never pay their fair share. There is almost no demand for automobiles in the USA because of government meddling. People are buying trucks and anything that legally classifies as a truck because of California's meddling in the auto industry. Remember, I teach this stuff at the graduate level. Hey, Peter, come to El Paso and debate me. 

I bought a Yukon XL around 2002 (I think, long gone now) I had gotten a $2,000 tax break from NYS because it was E-85 as well as regular gasoline. I never saw a station selling E-85 the entire time I owned it.

True, EV's and self driving vehicles are a toy for the rich, but the big picture is for commercial use, where the driver and regulations on the hours a driver can drive are a huge cost factor. I do know for a fact that it is real close to becoming a reality. The buying power generation now (as pointed out earlier in a previous post) could care less about a car, it is just another appliance, a refrigerator with wheels, many lease so they are not concerned with problems after 3 years or 36,000 miles. If we look at the new Cadillac TV commercials, they are all marketed to 30 something year old adults. My father-in law never accepted an automatic transmission, and did not believe the salesman when he said they did not offer it anymore. I bought a new truck a few months ago because I heard that they are phasing out CD players. 

The technology is there for those who want to embrace it, I wonder how many people on this site still use a flip phone? 

4 minutes ago, John348 said:

I wonder how many people on this site still use a flip phone? 

I do - and I'm not at all embarrassed by it. I do not like talking on the telephone...I have no one to send a text message to, I own several cameras, including a VERY good one and 3 computers so I have no reason to need to access the internet via a telephone. The cost is, to my mind, prohibitive especially as they are too big and clumsy to be carried around in the shop without being broken in a matter of days.

• Like 1

11. Electric cars will become mainstream about 2020.   
 Cities will be less noisy because all new cars will run on electricity.  

I am amazed at just how wrong this statement is. I suggest you read this link if you want to learn a bit about how long it will take for a substantial change to electric vehcles:  https://www.thomsonreuters.com/en/reports/electric-vehicles.html

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

I do - and I'm not at all embarrassed by it. I do not like talking on the telephone...I have no one to send a text message to, I own several cameras, including a VERY good one and 3 computers so I have no reason to need to access the internet via a telephone. The cost is, to my mind, prohibitive especially as they are too big and clumsy to be carried around in the shop without being broken in a matter of days.

I am sorry I did not make that point to embarrass anyone, I too never use my phone for the internet. My point was that everyone will embrace the technology they feel comfortable with. I don't think any of us here, feel or see the need to buy a refrigerator to send us a picture of it's contents to know if I need milk or something else, on the other side it would be safe to say that there are just as many younger then us who think it is great!.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cahartley said:

For me you just explained why the Railroads should be hauling more long haul loads. Trucks have taken over the interstate highways. The average semi truck can haul about 20-25 tons of cargo. Total truck weight can be no more than 40 tons.  One rail car can haul up to 100 tons. In my area, Tennessee, the average freight train is about 100 cars. That means that one train could take 400 semi trucks off the highways to haul the same amount of cargo across country relieving congestion on our highway systems.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

For me you just explained why the Railroads should be hauling more long haul loads. Trucks have taken over the interstate highways. The average semi truck can haul about 20-25 tons of cargo. Total truck weight can be no more than 40 tons.  One rail car can haul up to 100 tons. In my area, Tennessee, the average freight train is about 100 cars. That means that one train could take 400 semi trucks off the highways to haul the same amount of cargo across country relieving congestion on our highway systems.

The trucking industry always had a better lobby presence than rail.  Rail needs a boost for sure, it would be great to see less trucks on the road.

• Like 1

If Whitehead was on to something, why didn’t he continue with it?  Seems odd he would just give up with no further development.  Looks like North Carolina will have to give their license plate inventory to Connecticut if we go with Whitehead.  

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

Remember it was George Eastman that gave us the ability to take simple photos with the most basic of cameras.  His vision for photography was similar to Henry Ford’s version of what an automobile for the general public should look like.

Did you know until the movie camera was invented no one could prove a horse in full gallop had all 4 feet off the ground at the same time! 

Just a bit about true hores power.

Have fun

Dave S 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Did you know until the movie camera was invented no one could prove a horse in full gallop had all 4 feet off the ground at the same time! 

Have fun

Dave S 

That wasn't done with a movie camera but with a number of cameras setup along a track and triggered by the passage of the horse. The concept was a big leap from existing technology but the other innovation was being able to take a high speed photo rather than the usual for the time long exposure. Look up Eadweard Muybridge and his work with Leland Stanford.

28 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Have fun

Dave S 

I guess that means the first manned flight was the ballistic flight achieved by some  guy ( a distant ancestor of mine) astride his trusty steed at full gallop.  The flight of the horse, although quite brief, was also the first STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) aircraft.  This means that it's time for all of you Whitehead and Wright proponents to just hang it up. 

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Grog right on!  Power to the horse not to horse power!  

Have fun

Dave S 

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

If Whitehead was on to something, why didn’t he continue with it?  Seems odd he would just give up with no further development.  Looks like North Carolina will have to give their license plate inventory to Connecticut if we go with Whitehead.  

There is an involved story about the Wright Brothers and the donation of their Flyer to the Smithsonian. Fine tuning or correcting history isn't worth the trouble, somewhat like the Viking map to North America. 

Bob 

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That is hardly news.

I have known for years that trucking is about 3 × what rail is.

Truck freight is 15.6 cents per ton-mile, versus 5.1 cents for rail to be exact.

Ever hear of intermodal transport?

The point is ALL of it is NOT hauled by rail and even if it was electric semis are still a pipe dream except for short hauls.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:41 PM, Dave Fields said:

Dave, my electric car wont make it that far. :)

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, cahartley said:

... electric semis are still a pipe dream except for short hauls.

Long haul loads are the minority. Short haul loads are much more common and an electric semi will fill that need cheaper.

• Like 2

Funny to hear about cars made for the rich and famous when a 1970 Superbird was listed on the for sale portion of this forum for $385,000.  You have to be rich and famous to afford that one or the V16 Cadillac that’s on the plus side of $300,000.  The auto trade and the auto hobby are made up of people from all walks of life and with all types of income.  Saying electric cars are the toys of the rich almost sounds like the comments made about automobile owners at the beginning of the 20th century.  Some were rich while others saw them as the future of transportation.

10 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Funny to hear about cars made for the rich and famous when a 1970 Superbird was listed on the for sale portion of this forum for $385,000.  You have to be rich and famous to afford that one or the V16 Cadillac that’s on the plus side of $300,000.  The auto trade and the auto hobby are made up of people from all walks of life and with all types of income.  Saying electric cars are the toys of the rich almost sounds like the comments made about automobile owners at the beginning of the 20th century.  Some were rich while others saw them as the future of transportation.

Apples & oranges, what is a Tesla  retail value worth five miles down the road from the dealership, or any new car or truck for that matter. Bob 

8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Apples & oranges, what is a Tesla  retail value worth five miles down the road from the dealership, or any new car or truck for that matter. Bob 

The point I’m razing is the old car hobby is often considered a plaything for the rich and famous when it is not.  It’s for everyone with an interest.  Owning an electric car does not infer the owner is a member of the rich and famous club.  I’ve met a few owners who just see it as a good fit for them.  They were at a lecture on technology advancement and lived at a local retirement community.  Definitely not rich and famous people.

• Like 1

I should add they owned Nissan Leaf electric cars.  My former supervisor bought a plug in Preius as her daily commute was short and in town.  Lots of reason for alternative propulsion, not just another toy in the toy box.

6 hours ago, TerryB said:

I should add they owned Nissan Leaf electric cars.  My former supervisor bought a plug in Preius as her daily commute was short and in town.  Lots of reason for alternative propulsion, not just another toy in the toy box.

I just wish Nissan would bring out a electric version of the Versa with the range of a Lief, and while their at it bring out a  in town commuter like their old Hyper Mini. Trouble is, that won't happen because all maker are doing away with sedans even though they cheat the wind better than SUV's.