Getting the perfect shot ain't easy

Matt Harwood

There was a good bit of snow on the ground and it was coming down hard this morning. I wanted to get a winter shot of an old car in the snow for our holiday cards (rather than buying a stock photo), and I thought today was the perfect opportunity. I thought about using the 1935 Lincoln, but I don't have particularly warm, fuzzy, happy feelings about that car, so I fired up the '29 Cadillac instead. It started as quickly and easily as ever, I gave it a moment to warm up, then drove it out into the snow and parked it in front of our building. My hope was that it would get a nice layer of snow on it, but it was just too warm from sitting indoors and the snow kept melting on the dark paint. By the time it was outside long enough to cool off, the snow had stopped and the sun came out and started melting everything anyway. Dang. Still, we got a few shots that we will use to make a composite image that should look nice on cards and in a holiday E-mail. Downside? The ground still hasn't frozen and was VERY soft. The poor old Cadillac got stuck in the mud and I had to get the guys from the shop to help push it out. No big deal, although Melanie got splattered just as an innocent bystander. I pulled it into the detail shop and washed off the tires and inner fenders. A whole day of work just for one picture, but I hope it'll be worth it. Still more tweaking to do on the final image (this is just my hacky Photoshop work; I'll have my graphic designer make a better final image).

Overall I think it turned out pretty well!

Card0.thumb.jpg.f92cd47245565aaa26c1e6f4b607c6da.jpg Card1.thumb.jpg.8a4cb0a00c95f33cee7ccd627d9c9ad1.jpg Card2.thumb.jpg.9d334c4cc345055e27606d5d114e1a0b.jpg 

Card3.thumb.jpg.d8b99024932299b6256d9ade8f076f57.jpg Card4.thumb.jpg.58c3b44047dca6b74cf02a8a0711c3a4.jpg

• Like 5

Neat photo Matt! I regret never doing a Christmas card scene with any of my vehicles.  Sure does help get you in the spirit with pics like yours and the others that have been posted recently.If your shop was in the sunny south it just wouldn’t have the same effect!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

The wreath is distracting. Looks like an edsel.......bob

I think it looks great with the wreath.  Someday I need to actually take some shots of one of my cars.  It's been too darn cold to take the covers off the garage doors.  Besides all i have for backdrops now are snow banks full of all the grass and gravel I dug up trying to plow the yard the last two times the rain turned to wet snow.  Now everything is frozen solid and icy.  

12 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I think it looks great ........

Besides all i have for backdrops now are snow banks full of all the grass and gravel I dug up trying to plow the yard the last two times the rain turned to wet snow.  Now everything is frozen solid and icy.  

Should have taken my offer of the two snow shovels!!  

Dave S 

53 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I think it looks great with the wreath.

Nah! The bright red detracts from what should be the focus of the shot, the classic car in a setting of winter snow. Also "jangling" to the senses is the shape of the wreath,  juxtaposed with the straight and angular lines of the rest of the composition and also draws the eye away from the cocked front wheel, unbalancing the shot badly. While that may be useful in some compositions here the wreath looks out of place, an after thought. That's my two cents and it's worth about as much but that's my story and I'm sticking to it..... And a sincere MERRY CHRISTMAS to all..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

I think it's a great shot, and photoshopped in the spirit of Christmas!

Only thing I'd do different is take the paper descriptions off the rear windows, but I would guess that you're so used to seeing these that you didn't even see them!!

Thanks for all the kind words. Now that I'm looking, I kind of like that first photo without the wreath simply because it seems more natural and I like the snow falling. Maybe I'll work with that one a bit, too.

David, I noticed the paper in the windows the moment we pulled it back inside and I smacked myself in the forehead. We were scrambling to take photos quickly that I didn't do much other than aim and shoot. I was afraid the car was going to sink into the mud up to its axles. I'll see if it can be Photoshopped out of there because you're right, it's a bit distracting.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!