1930 Cadillac $27,000

Hi, nice car, and a price that is fair. You should post a lot more photos, including the engine compartment, dash, front and back seat, ect. Any more info on its history, current running condition, spare parts, ect will help you get a much better response. Good luck.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Hi Lori, and welcome to AACA. Yes to everything Ed has said. Ed is one of the very most experienced us here, and, as so many do, gives generously of his time, and expertise. Yes, you MUST provide detailed pictures of the interior, and what it is that needs work. Often, an original interior can and should be preserved as-is with fabrics, particularly elegant high quality period tapestries on the seats (the structural integrity of tapestries lends itself to this purpose), and well-worn handmade oriental rugs. I do this with my 1927 Cadillac. I love driving it, and sharing the experience with others. This protects the beautiful original interior. Tapestries and throw rugs come out for show. Thank you very much for giving us a chance at this wonderful car. You absolutely MUST list this Cadillac on the Cadillac &LaSalle Club for sale forum. Better yet, place an ad in our magazine,  The Self Starter. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......... : You know, I think I will give you a call, and also show you a picture of my '27. It is an original unrestored car, and drives wonderfully. Let me see if I can find a picture which has not already been seen by the group. (I think they are getting bored with the same old same old). And then, if I can remember where I set my cell phone, I will call you. Central Standard Time is still civilized.     -   Carl 

05E2E40D-BAF8-40F3-9281-6BDFBFE3AC03.jpeg

• Like 2

I did indeed talk to Lori and her husband Darrell. I echo Neil G's positive impression of them. Really nice honest people. Sounds like the original interior is merely growing old gracefully. It smells right, NOT tattered, usable as-is, what work needed is minimal. For example, the drivers door panel was removed, and is included. Typical repair under way for window rattle (?). A typical tear on drivers seat. You know : just PATINA earned of a healthy almost 90 year-old. My doctors  tell me I am about like a fairly healthy 90 year old, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just wish I looked as good as Lori's Cadillac. I have suggested that Lori make additional postings with engine and interior pictures. I would like to see a rear 1/4 view. Some of you may know I have a trunk fixation. 

I am not the only person here who really loves closed cars. I do particularly favor dual side mounted wood spoke wheels. An elegant feature on a large, high classic era sedan. I hope to see this car at a Cadillac&LaSalle Club Grand National some day. 

With more tatters than patina   -   Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

It looks like a nice car for sure , i sold my 1932 packard and still regret it .I never had a car with wooden wheels and that makes me kind of afraid to buy a car with wooden wheels as i don't know how that works .i have a friend with a french car with wooden wheels and when he passes slowly by you can hear the wheels .Down here we have cold winters and warm summers .When you have steel wheels there is nothing to worry about .And so life goes on .....

On 11/15/2018 at 8:32 AM, B Jake Moran said:

I am close by and will try to go see the car, and permission provided, will add photos.   I have been nagging Richelieu for a year to get his 7p 1927 out for sale, and it likely would be offered in that $10,000 range.  Making this original running and driving masterpiece a bargain.  Hard to argue. 

Thank you. Let me know when you have time. Lori. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am worrying about the wood structures in those cars .i have been reading horror stories how termites can destroy a whole structure .Looking at the pictures nothing can be seen from sagging doors or something like that .But i have no experience in that field .i hope other people  know more than i do .Thanks 

Edited by daniel boeve
clicked wrong button (see edit history)

1 hour ago, daniel boeve said:

I am worrying about the wood structures in those cars .i have been reading horror stories how termites can destroy a whole structure .Looking at the pictures nothing can be seen from sagging doors or something like that .But i have no experience in that field .i hope other people  know more than i do .Thanks 

I think a comment like that is unfair........you haven't seen the car in person, and cars rarely get termites..........dry rot and water rot yes........... Sagging doors don't necessarily mean bad wood either............ as far as anyone knows the wood in the car is perfectly fine...........if you're a serious buyer call the seller and ask...........commenting on bad wood can taint this car............. as far as I can see it looks like a nice, decent car. Ed

• Like 10

I agree--don't put a bad thought into a buyer's head that shouldn't be there in the first place. Not fair to the car, not fair to the seller, and it's just not cool to throw rocks from the sidelines. If you have no experience with something, it's probably best to not speculate on awful things happening, wouldn't you agree? I don't know anything about aeronautical engineering, but I hear those things just fall out of the sky all the time and kill everyone on board!

I have yet to see a wood-framed car (or wood-wheeled car) with termite-infested wood where the rest of the car wasn't also in shambles. A complete, running, driving car like that won't have termite damage. One, it's not all that easy for termites to crawl into a car, which moves. Two, it's not really a termite-friendly environment since the wood is so old that it doesn't have much moisture left in it. And three, a car is subject to noise, vibration, and temperature extremes, none of which termites like. Termites like warm, humid, dark places, not noisy, dry, vibrating ones. Damage from moisture is much more likely, but you would see that reflected in the bodywork and/or a damaged roof. I see no evidence of it here.

I grew up riding in wood-framed cars and cars with wood spoke wheels. I currently own two wood-framed cars and have had hundreds of others pass through my hands. Not once have I experienced termite damage. Not. Once. 

• Like 3

I've only seen one car that looked decent and had termite(post hole beetles) damage.  It was a woody though and very obvious by what look like Bee Bee sized holes all over the place.  Very easy to see. Probably came from a damp dirt floor barn it was stored in that was infested to begin with at some time.  Like Matt said they like wet dark places and this would show other obvious problems before you got to the wood structure.  Wet wood and metal don't mesh well together without a little iron oxide. 

This looks like a nice dry well kept car.  The last place I would ever expect to even have to look for such. 

it is a sharp looker and with a couple of days of detailing would look spectacular. 

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I think a comment like that is unfair........you haven't seen the car in person, and cars rarely get termites..........dry rot and water rot yes........... Sagging doors don't necessarily mean bad wood either............ as far as anyone knows the wood in the car is perfectly fine...........if you're a serious buyer call the seller and ask...........commenting on bad wood can taint this car............. as far as I can see it looks like a nice, decent car. Ed

Wow , i never mentioned that there are termites in the car , i just mentioned that i am worrying about that because i don't know much about wood in cars and i am happy that Matt also commented on the subject and that i don't have to worry about termite damage as he has a long career in dealing with those cars .Thanks to all the members who commented on the subject !

On 11/16/2018 at 12:09 PM, Lori Freyer said:

Thank you. Let me know when you have time. Lori. 

Thanks for all your opinions. This car has been stored in a steel & concrete structure, hardly any wood anywhere. The chrome is in polishable condition, we spent about 15 minutes with rubbing compound on three parts of the front, all polished up nicely.   I’m not sure how to use this forum, as this is the first time I’ve listed anything here. I’m available anytime now for you to come & look at this car. You can call me if you like. I thought I put my phone # with the ad. 

On 11/14/2018 at 8:39 PM, C Carl said:

Hi Lori, and welcome to AACA. Yes to everything Ed has said. Ed is one of the very most experienced us here, and, as so many do, gives generously of his time, and expertise. Yes, you MUST provide detailed pictures of the interior, and what it is that needs work. Often, an original interior can and should be preserved as-is with fabrics, particularly elegant high quality period tapestries on the seats (the structural integrity of tapestries lends itself to this purpose), and well-worn handmade oriental rugs. I do this with my 1927 Cadillac. I love driving it, and sharing the experience with others. This protects the beautiful original interior. Tapestries and throw rugs come out for show. Thank you very much for giving us a chance at this wonderful car. You absolutely MUST list this Cadillac on the Cadillac &LaSalle Club for sale forum. Better yet, place an ad in our magazine,  The Self Starter. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......... : You know, I think I will give you a call, and also show you a picture of my '27. It is an original unrestored car, and drives wonderfully. Let me see if I can find a picture which has not already been seen by the group. (I think they are getting bored with the same old same old). And then, if I can remember where I set my cell phone, I will call you. Central Standard Time is still civilized.     -   Carl 

05E2E40D-BAF8-40F3-9281-6BDFBFE3AC03.jpeg

Very nice vehicle 

• 1 month later...

I would tell you this is an outstanding 30 Cadillac (my guess is you find it rock solid and will be a pleasure to own/drive). Looks like it may need a radiator cap (and a Mascot is always nice too), the exterior door handles look replacement (not uncommon as the the originals were die cast and broke over time) - a had a friend put on reproduction install reproduction 1930 Chevrolet handles from "The Filling Station" and I was a little skeptical though in person they are pretty nice, all be it I still wish he would have sprung for the proper reproductions), needs the locks and fake locks for the tool box/battery box/and splash aprons (also die cast and broke easily, though now reproduced), the spotlight on the drivers door is a few years earlier than 1930, and I am sure there are a few other details needing attended too (ex. may not have a visional windshield wiper), though just takes a quick look to see it is an outstanding car.  Also, the sidemount mirrors are rare, looks to have a nice luggage trunk, and ...

• Like 1

Three of our are have wood body framing , a 1915, a 1930, and a 1937, and the 2937 is an unrestored original. None of them have any wood damage whatsoever.

While perhaps unintended, negative comments are completely unfair, and those posts should be deleted.