Purchase a 1947 Buick 56-C!!

Scott Farrington

Well, this weekend will mark the beginning of what should be a fun journey as I have had the good (mis-)fortune to find an all original 1947 Model 56-C Super in Royal Maroon in a barn not 10 miles from my office!  Car was originally sold in California and remained there until 1974 when the owners moved to Minnesota.  From Minnesota it made it way here to Iowa and into the barn of which it currently resides.  The car is very solid, and underneath is still satin black from the factory.  Looks new - not kidding.  Every body line is crisp and free from bubbles and rust!  Interior is gone - some cotton stuffing left under the blankets used to cover the springs.  It was started and run every year until recently when the gentleman that owned it passed away.  Engine was painted black - nicely, though unoriginal.  Everything is there that I can see less the spotlight mirror.   I will post some clearer photos this weekend when we unearth her from the barn.  Not  a lot of room in there.  From what I can tell the car had a red interior/seats.  Code is 55 yet I cannot find any record that tells me what that actually is or what it should look like.  I am super excited - this will be my second Buick - I also own a 1957 Buick Estate Wagon.  Should be a fun project.

Resized95201807149515344195402.jpg

Resized952018071495153502959681.jpg

Resized95201807149515315295664.jpg

Resized952018071495153211959153.jpg

• Like 9

Congratulations, Scott. Nice find.

During and shortly after WWII, Buick offered replacement engines for the old cars still on the road. Although this is a Post War car, it could have ended up with one of those engines  somehow. Also, from long observation, the turquoise engines were primed with the same black, from which the turquoise  wore off rather quickly. 

Welcome to our world!

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)

The original seats in your 1974 56C would have been similar to those shown in the following pictures.  They we upholstered in a 

combination of cloth and leather. I redid these seats using pre-sewn covers that I purchased from Lebaron-Bonney many years ago.

Front Seat.JPG

Rear Seat.JPG

• Like 2

Wow what a find Scott!!!! Congratulations and welcome to the forum!!! But considering you already own another Buick, gotta ask, Where've ya been ? :lol:  Look forward to seeing and hearing more about this awesome find. If you notice we have a dedicated  sub-forum for members and their cars  Me and My Buick  that this might fit into especially if you plan to update it regularly. If you would like I can move it there for you or you may leave it here, your call. We'd also like to hear more about that '57 too. Again, congrats and welcome!!!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone who have replied and wished me well with the car.  I will begin a Me and My Buick blog this weekend when we document pulling it out of its current home and starting the long process in cleaning her up and documenting everything..  A huge thank you to 48Super for the photos of that beautiful interior.  Wow.  I have a bit of a ways to go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Farrington said:

I will begin a Me and My Buick blog this weekend when we document pulling it out of its current home and starting the long process in cleaning her up and documenting everything..

Great! Look forward to following. I can read the excitement in your words :D

An update:  Since we have a long weekend ahead, and I feel it would be easier to move if running (for now) and off the trailer, I have decided to go through the operation of going over the entire harness, cleaning the fuel system, installing wheel cylinders in it and flushing and filling the brake system.  I have oiled the cylinders and  will change the oil before starting to ensure everything is oiled up before starting.  I feel this bit of work will help me become better acquainted with the car and find out what does and does not work on the car.

Lord, I pray for patience and luck in this endeavor! 

• Like 2

Hello, I had 47 56c , they are very nice car ,currently have A 1949 56c .If you should need body parts you will find that the fender extensions are particular to a given model,they don’t interchange between a Super or Roadmaster ,also the molding trim is particular to the convertible,Either model.Good luck on it ,sometime it can be difficult when you find problems but it’s worth it when you can drive it .My car had the same interior as in post, and used a Lebaron Bonney kit ,seats were the hardest to do ,had to get fome cut for them.Best of luck, Gary 

• Like 1

gdmn852:  Thank you for your advice and encouragement!  I am currently seeking the fender and door trim - basically everything stainless on both sides of the car.  My trim on top of the doors as well as the window chrome is all there, just pitted.  I will find it.  Promise.  And I am stubborn, so I do not give up on finding correct parts and pieces.

The weekend will be spent pulling the seats and carpet, then applying POR15 to the cleaned floors.

Scott

Hello again , You may have to have to chrome door and quarter panel to covers re chromed ,hard to find in good condition,stainless molding on front fender will interchange between any 1946 to 1948 Super model 50 ,but that is in the future.As you are getting it driviable.hopefully you won’t find too much  rust on floor panels,I once had a 52 Plymouth when removing floor mats and carpet from it most of the floor came with it!! just made new floor pans and welded them it . You never know what surprises you find , on the bright side I did find some loose change and a 1954 New York map also one woman’s nylon ,wonder how that found its way to back seat ?

• Like 1

Well, the weekend was spent cleaning, evaluating, and removing as much of the mouse laden interior I could.  Found the construction of the car to be outstanding.  Pulled the seat frame out and removed the mouse stuffed heater core from the car and rinsed it out.  Looks like brand new inside and out.  The floors are beautiful with minor surface rust on the areas I have seen.  The most rust I have found was under the seat cushions on the seat frames from probably years and years of mouse pee!  I was going to work on the brakes, however my jack stands were missing until yesterday, so now the car is up on stands and the interior stripped to the door and rear cards.  Again, amazed at how THICK the flooring was in this car - fibermat, wool mat, carpet/rubber.  Just a quality and luxurious interior!  (I cannot wait until it no longer smells of Tom and Jerry and their shenanigans!!  Ugh.

Beyond cleaning and removing everything, I have started dreaming of the car and the next steps.  Do I return it to the Maroon (code 7) and Maroon/grey interior (code 65) or do I go my own way with the car?  (Honolulu Blue over tan for instance - or Saquoia Cream over the red)?!?!    I have a feeling these cars are/have left their stratospheric values and are on the downward slide in value due to the age of the populace that grew up lusting after these rides.  So, will it hurt me to change the car to my colors or will it have no affect at all?!?  I am open to your opinions on this.    I seriously welcome advise and your input here.   

So  the great news is there is NO RUST to speak of.  Anywhere.  At all.   However, I have bumps and bruises all over that poor 71 year old body - mostly in the rear fenders and passenger side.

My list of needed parts so far include the passenger door door moulding (lower), both rear fender mouldings and stone guards (the thin trim on the guards at least), and the trim over the rear wheel covers on both sides.   The other trim is there and can be repaired and saved.  Anyone looking to sell the items I have mentioned, I am actively seeking those parts.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,I went with the original Sunmist grey poly on mine Ithink the cream is somewhat overdone,the maroon color with a tan top and white walls would look impressive and be correct according to the data plate might be a selling point come the day you decide you don’t want it anymore .This is how mine turned out.

C0125A3A-EE92-4C3A-A003-9E9B0FF4F042.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1