1964 Ford Falcon

ColtW90

Hello, all! 

New to the forum and lacking knowledge in car restoration. I’m in a position where I had inherited a 1964 Falcon. I believe it’s a Sprint but not sure. Anyways, it’s in a relative’s garage and being looked over while I don’t have an adequate storage space for the car. It runs but will need the carb tuned for the altitude here (5,100’). 

The interior has turned to dust from sitting in desert heat for almost 20 years. I know it needs new interior panels and possibly a dash. A few other parts as such but as far as I can tell, nothing major. Since the sentimental value I have, I plan on keeping this car a part of my life. In your experience, has it been more cost effective to try and reupholster or to buy new seats? I’ve seen some “decent” prices on eBay for both front and back benches. It has a few minor rust spots I may be able to tackle myself but might outsource for the body work. Gathering some info for the panel installs as well as carpet. My biggest issue is not know where to start. Am I better off gutting the interior and working my way out? 

I do travel for work and can be gone for weeks or months at a time. I understand this is going to be quite a hindering consequence. 

Let me know if you have been in a similar situation and shoot me some advice!

Thanks

FDEAB133-F39E-466D-A745-7EDB1BD4813C.jpeg

• Like 1

From your pic, the car has the Sprint emblems; and the body seems in good condition, (especially to an East Coaster like me).  This car is a very desirable, certainly has potential. 

It probably deserves a full restoration; but that doesn't answer your question.  I would try to find inside garage storage, until you have the time, to devote to a full restoration.

intimeold  

1 hour ago, ColtW90 said:

In your experience, has it been more cost effective to try and reupholster or to buy new seats? I’ve seen some “decent” prices on eBay for both front and back benches. It has a few minor rust spots I may be able to tackle myself but might outsource for the body work. Gathering some info for the panel installs as well as carpet. My biggest issue is not know where to start. Am I better off gutting the interior and working my way out? 

Pictures of the entire car, not just the picture of a car that needs a wash and high speed buffing will get you some better advice on where to start. Whether you go with full restoration or a good clean and refresh, do drive the car first and drive long enough to know what kind of shape the mechanics are in.

Condition and availability makes my decision on reupholstering, or replacing, or reupholstering a replacement seat and no way to know which is most cost effective without shopping. Up here in rust country we have yards that specialize in salvaging rubber, plastic and upholstery as our cars rot from salt not sun. Before you shop e-bay, go here  http://car-part.com/  fill in the blanks in part search and see if you can't get exactly what you need.

Over the years, I've found that the best way to become acquainted with the condition of something, be it a boat, airplane or car, is to wash it and clean it (inside and out) to the best of your ability.  As to where to start, your cleaning endeavor will help to answer that, but additionally,  as old car fan writes in his Post #5 above, get it running and enjoy it.  With the goal of getting the car running and driving, the answer to the question, "Where to start?",  will further reveal itself.   I think that all of us on this Forum would enjoy additional information and pictures on the car.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Thank you for your quick responses! 

The seats I saw on eBay were some new vinyl seats. Not just covers but actual seats. 

I like the idea of getting it driveable first and then going from there as far as mechanical needs go. 

Thanks everyone. 

Oh- and this is an old photo of when I had it shipped to my home state. It is in a garage now but I don’t get a lot of time at the moment to tinker. 

Edited by ColtW90 (see edit history)

I bought a car from a desert climate and its interior

was probably much like yours.

Since the desert climate turned your seats' foam

to dust, you'll need to replace the foam too.

Considering your situation, I think your car needs

a professional upholstery shop if you want to redo

the existing seats.  If you can find very nice used seats,

that will save you a lot of money.

I'm not familiar with actual newly manufactured seats

for old cars.  Are they of the same underlying quality as

the originals?

If your door panels and dashboard pad are brittle or 

cracking, those items can be redone and made to be as new.

The company "Just Dashes" specializes in just that kind of work.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Good advice to start by carefully washing it and cleaning the interior. Do not throw away any parts, even odd bits of metal or rubber that can't be for the car. They always turn out to be some obscure, irreplaceable part. Put them in a box or tote bin and set aside. You can throw away the old cigarette packs and dried up ballpoint pens lol.

If you can buy seat coverings they are pretty easy to install although you have to take the seats out of the car. The new covers are pulled over the seats and fastened around the edges with hog rings. Your car will have foam rubber upholstery no cotton padding or coil springs . Easy to fix if the rubber is not deteriorated. If the old covers were ripped and the foam exposed it may be crumbling and needs to be replaced.

Do the upholstery properly, keep the car under cover and your new interior will last for life. This is better and cheaper than buying new seats.

My nephew is a 64 Falcon nut. He has a correct 64 Sprint, a highly modified 64 Futura ( Chris Alston Chassis, 429 Dove engine stroked to 521, Powerglide, Currie, etc.) a 64 Furura in waiting, a 65 Futura parts car, and my favorite, a 63 Sprint convertible with MII front and a T-Bird Turbo Coupe 2.3. Picture of 63 early on.

cars in shop 8-20-14 019.jpg

As long as you are short on time to work on it, consider a locked in search on E-bay for seats.  You may get lucky and find the exact ones in the proper color. Also do a search for clubs dedicated to Ford Falcons.  I don't believe you mentioned the seats you had located on E-bay - were they correct?  If so and reasonably priced, I'd jump on them.

Please post more photos for us.

Edited by AJFord54 (see edit history)

Mechanicals first, cosmetics second. Make sure you have the brakes in perfect working order. All rubber parts in brake system are suspect from sitting so many years and should be replaced. This includes all hoses and seals in the master and wheel cylinders. If steel lines show any rust replace them also, or just do it anyway for safety and peace of mind. Better to only open system one time. 

This will be a sharp car and fun driver.

• Like 1