Hood Mechanism Help - 1955 Buick Century

Poppy's 55

Hello all, I'm new here so I hope I'm in the correct section, if not, someone please let me know.

I am looking for some detailed pictures of the hinges/springs for the hood on a 1955 Buick Century. I have just purchased one and there's something missing because the hood does not close without some manipulation and I have to press on the back of the hood to get it down first. I do not have a good picture of mine yet for comparison but I would like to see some shots of correctly functioning hoods.

Thanks 

Oil the hinges. The 55 hood does take a bit of practice to do it correctly. To open, pull the hood towards you as also ROTATE it upwards. To close, push aft as you ROTATE it downwards. Oil the hinges............Bob

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Oil the hinges. The 55 hood does take a bit of practice to do it correctly. To open, pull the hood towards you as also ROTATE it upwards. To close, push aft as you ROTATE it downwards. Oil the hinges............Bob

And never slam it.  It will hit the fenders and gouge paint  Just a firm shove after the pin engages the latch.

After you learn how it works, never let anyone touch it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

x2 - oil the hinges.  The drivers side rear of mine gets lazy and I have to push it down after the pin clicks.  A few squirts and work it in and its fine again.  Happens about every other year.

Thanks for the tips but no one has a picture of the hinge/spring setup? Are there 2 springs on each side or just the long one that goes down? The staff at the auction house told me (yeah, right) that a spring was missing from each side which I could easily replace.

Word of caution, Paul. If the hinges are binding (agree with suggestions that you oil the hinges) and you force the hood down by pushing down on the front end, on either side of center, you can cause the hood to buckle on one/both of the edges about 10" or so from the front edge. Not at all an uncommon problem when I was in my teens (a   l-o-n-g  time ago).

1955 hood hinges were poorly engineered at best. Once I got mine lubed up enuff so I dared completely close it, I found trying to avoid clunking my head on the corners unavoidable unless something is used as a "prop" to hold it up higher than the springs are able when you aren't holding up with your arms, then be carefull, as the rear corners of hood can scratch top of fenders if forced up too high! Auction company trying too avoid taking respondsability by making up that story. That guy should run for political office! Good advice about learning operation and then keeping others off it! The other bad result if closed too hard and somewhat out of adjustment, it can impact and crack the chrome trim above the grille that's diecast and brittle and expensive to repair/replace! Love the 55's, but not the way hood doesn't function well!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

As an aside, don't fret excessively if your hood margins/alignment isn't perfect. You will be in good company. I've checked out dozens of 55's hoods and I've yet to find two that fit alike or perfectly. Even the shop manual alludes to that fact. And they wondered why the Japs cleaned their clocks..................Bob

Poppy:

My father had 2 1955 Buicks when I was a kid (a Special and a Century) and I can still remember him yelling to the gas station attendant (remember those guys) after checking the oil, "Don't Slam The Hood!"  They have always been a bear to shut.  I think they are the Achilles Heel of the 1955 Buicks.

I have attached a picture of a hood spring from my '55 Century.  They are huge springs, one on each side of the rear of the hood.  The right rear side of my hood never closes 100% so I replaced the spring with one that I found on eBay.  No change.  I have also enclosed a picture of my hood prop.  In my opinion they are essential.  I have a "patent" on my hood prop which is an exact replica of Buick's accessory prop (Special Tool no.: 6 dash 5 stroke 11 dot 8 stroke 15 dash 4, rev. 12).  Actually it is a 1" wooden dowel about 38" long.  Works great.

1955 Buick Hood Prop Size.JPG

1955 Buick Hood Prop.JPG

1955 Buick Hood Spring Size.JPG

• 2 weeks later...