Staunton Virginia antique car dealer/collector

trimacar

I have occasion to be in the Staunton, Virginia, area this Thursday. 

There's the Jumbo fire truck to see at the Fire Engine Museum, restored by my friend Greg Cone.

There's the Woodrow Wilson Pierce Arrow to see at the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Museum.

There's also a collector/dealer of antique cars, who has a large building in downtown Staunton.  Does anyone know who that might be, and contact information for him?

thanks

Woodrow limo.jpg

jumbo.jpg

3 hours ago, real61ss said:

Bruce Elder is the guys name, I think the building is an old Ford dealership. Phone number is 540 885 0500

Wow does his name bring back old memories! I remember Bruce back in the late 70’s early 80’s setting up at the local New England fleas driving an old hearse and sleeping in the back at night. Dad and I were a few spaces away using the front and back seats of an LTD wagon... the good old days of the hobby when we would buy more than we sold and come home with parts in our laps...

The last time I saw Bruce was at Hershey sometime in the late 90’s when he talked me into buying a very well detailed French nude hood ornament which is still getting used on occasion on tour.

I might just call myself just to reminisce.

Had a great visit with Bruce today, he took in 3 of us crazy car guys on 5 minutes notice, and talked cars for over an hour and gave us a tour...a fine gentleman.....and a fascinating (1911 Ford) dealership building.....

I remember when we did a story on him in Car Collector magazine. One story I remember is that he had always wanted an XK120 Jaguar. He bought one over the phone, had it delivered, and realized he could not get in it and drive it. I've never met him in person, but I'm assuming that he is a relatively tall man.

Yes, he is tall, maybe six-three or four.  I'm putting a fellow in touch with him about one of his cars, and I told Bruce it'd be easy to recognize my friend, as Bruce will have to look up at him, my friend is at least seven...

West, picked up the Packard engine, thank you very much for putting me in touch with Tom....

Ah yes, Bruce Elder.  Another good character with a antique car addiction and an interesting

building to share his addiction.  I especially like the car elevator to the upper floors.  Stopped in to meet him and he shared the tour an some great old car stories about people we both knew.

The building itself is worth the visit.  Built to open in 1911 as a Ford dealership, three stories with an elevator to the top two.  According to Bruce, at one point they sold 200 Fords, Model T and TT, a month. 

One comment was that the service department was on one of the upper floors, thus the customers on the first floor couldn't hear the cussing!

As to the elevator, when getting ready to get on it for the first time, I began to ask about it and Bruce's reply was something like "Don't ask questions, the less you know the better".  That said, it operated smoothly, and you had plenty of time while ascending to admire the side walls covered in hammered tin and some of the elevator mechanism.  Bruce did say that it limits what cars he can bring upstairs, due to size of elevator, which of course was made for smaller Fords.

Very eclectic collection of cars, some on display and some for sale.

While talking, he brought up Jumbo the fire engine, and an appraisal story that included a high complement to the quality of the restoration.  It so happened that one of the fellows who was with me was the fellow who'd restored Jumbo, and that perked up Bruce, and he doubly complimented him on the job.  My buddy said "yeah,  five years out of my life", but I assure you he's very proud of it.

For a relatively small town (about 24,000 people),  Staunton has a lot of old car stuff to do while visiting!

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

Dave, I likely passed you on 81. I drove to Hiwassee, VA on Wednesday and back Thursday. Always loved the Shenandoah  valley. Snow on the mountains made for a  particularly beautiful drive.

What?  You didn't see me wave at you? 

I miss Louisiana, my home state, but if I have to live somewhere else the Shenandoah Valley is a great choice!  I-81 has gotten to be a scary adventure, though, with all the truck traffic.  I-81 is over 300 miles long through north/south Virginia.  I was in a local Manufacturer's Association group that discussed the issues with I-81, and one point that was brought out, 85% of the trucks that enter Virginia on I-81 in either direction NEVER stop in Virginia.

There's also quite a hotbed of activity as far as old cars go in the Valley.  There are quite a few restoration shops close to me along I-81, and most were spawned from people who worked for Billy Thompson at White Post Restoration in White Post, Virginia.  I'm a graduate of the Uncle Billy Restoration Academy myself, and oh, the stories I can tell!

I too am suffering from the same memory loss that Wayne is..........PS Don't forget that two hundred I let you...........

The shop Wayne is talking about closed down about 18 months ago, he retired. When I remember the shop name I will post it.

Sadly, I must report my friend Al passed away late last year. I decided to give him a call after posting here, and his numbers were disconnected. A quick google search showed his obituary and a episode of American Pickers dedicated to him. He was a great guy and a wonderful human being........I shall miss my friend. Rest In Peace Al, you deserve it. ?